Been playing for a few years now and have just now started hitting the metronome hard as well as putting the theory I have learned to use. But I have read a lot of guitarists say it's important to play on your finger tips. I do for the most part I just don't always place the string right under my finger nails when I play and when I do this strict technique feels uncomfortable and slows me down. Am I reading into this too much or is it something I should work out? With my current fretting hand finger placement I can play solos from ACDC and Pantera at speed so I don't really feel that held back. I just don't know. Your thoughts?i want to be the best player that I can.
I'm not sure always using fingertips is necessarily correct, especially if you're playing bluesier stuff like AC/DC with lots of bends and vibrato. Even dimebag's playing had a lot of bends and vibrato in there which would (IMO) benefit from flatter fingers. You can switch between the two depending on the exact bit you're playing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm not sure always using fingertips is necessarily correct, especially if you're playing bluesier stuff like AC/DC with lots of bends and vibrato. Even dimebag's playing had a lot of bends and vibrato in there which would (IMO) benefit from flatter fingers. You can switch between the two depending on the exact bit you're playing.

Exactly my thinking. A lot of pentatonic riffs call for me to be able to fret stings right on top of each other which feels impossible to do when strictly playing on my finger tips.
My advice is to do whatever you feel is right. A lot of guitarists did that, and that worked out pretty well for a lot of them. If it feels awkward and you can play faster (but clean) if you did it your way then do it your way.

Just how I feel about it.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
If you pay attention to an awful lot of very successful guitar players, many of them are doing everything "wrong" from the standpoint of strict technique and theory.

Are you going to criticize Santana because he only uses three fingers and mostly downstrokes?

As long as you are generating a clear tone and can play the music you want to... I wouldn't worry about the niceties of technique.
Quote by Bikewer
If you pay attention to an awful lot of very successful guitar players, many of them are doing everything "wrong" from the standpoint of strict technique and theory.

Are you going to criticize Santana because he only uses three fingers and mostly downstrokes?

As long as you are generating a clear tone and can play the music you want to... I wouldn't worry about the niceties of technique.

Yeah this.Just make the guitar sound how you want it to.Make music.
Thanks to all of you who took time to reply to this thread. Sometimes I and I'm sure a lot of other players get rapped up in worrying if we are doing things "correctly"
Yeah, I did at one point, still do every now and then, but usually I play however I feel comfortable, and that's worked out pretty well.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
I think a happy medium between being (genuinely) honest with yourself as to whether your own idiosyncracies are holding you back or risking injury, but at the same time realising that if something just works for you that that's ok, is probably best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?