Page 1 of 2
Thinking about trading one of my guitars. I'm not ready to plunge in - just testing the waters. I have some strat questions. Information gathering.

I'm about a year into the hobby. I'm approaching that "pre-teen in the talent show" degree of playing aptitude. (At 35 yrs old - lol at me) I am generally most interested in funk, classic rock, hard rock and 80s metal sorta music. At the top of my list is Frusciante, Slash, Morello but there's also EVH, Eric Johnson, Satriani, and I also enjoy bands like Metallica and Foo Fighters.

I was a little bit confused by the different Strat models. I'm pretty certain that I want an HSS configuration but then you've got a bunch of different choices. Lone Star vs Standard HSS for example.

I am also aware that there is a million different companies making strat clones. It's a little confusing.

I want a single coil strat neck sound. I also want some quack, but i want to have a little bit of bite too. I really like the PRS necks and particularly the wide-thin neck profile but I can't trade an SE Allender for a 513 PRS. Too big a price difference. Probably not going to be landing any Suhrs or Carvins either. I don't expect that a MIA strat is in my future either. So what are the realistic choices if I try to trade my SE?

MiM Lone Star Strat?
Yamaha Pacifica HSS?
Fernandes RetroRocket?

I've already got those three on my list of guitars to try. Any other brands that I should look into?
And what about the Lone Star Strat? Are those pickups - Texas Specials and Pearly Gates humbucker - pretty different from the standard Strat pickups?
All three are solid, solid options. Others to consider would be a G&L Tribute Legacy or S-500, a Carvin Bolt*, Fret-King Super 60 or a Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare, Suhr... I could go on, because there are all kinds of good Stratclones and close cousins (like the Reverend Six Gun or Double Agent) out there, because clones of the Strat- along with the Telecaster and LP- are in almost every guitar makers's product line.

So it sounds like you need to do some mental sorting of your priorities.

What kind of budget are you thinking?
Used or new?
Do you want to buy from a store ONLY, or are you open to shopping online?
What's your current rig and are you buying anything besides the guitar?

* if you're the handy sort, you can buy this one as a kit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 15, 2014,
sounds to me that the real dilemma isn't in what type of strat to get but rather what pickups you want.get the guitar that feels best to play. you can always change the pickups. as to what would be best well you need a somewhat better understanding of the sounds you want. your what I play description is all over the place.
Right now I'm mostly looking for anecdotes and opinions to help narrow my research.

Used is fine. My budget is limited to guitars that are pretty much equal in value with my PRS SE, so a range centered around 500 dollars or so, give or take a few hundred.
My setup - I'm playing a 16 watt Kustom practice amp but I'm also building a push-pull tube amp. It's not a kit so I don't know what it'll sound like yet but I'm aiming for clean and I'm using some 6L6 equivalent tubes. I may be making some pedals later too. I have been reading through the schematics at Runoffgroove and there's a few that interest me.

I would probably need 5 or 6 different guitars to get all the tones right, but I don't want to have that many so I'm trying to do the best I can with just two. I was hoping that the PRS could be my "versatile" guitar and it's been okay for me when it comes to some of the clean tones (I mostly keep the coils split) but I think that the EMGs have more output than I know what to do with. Maybe some day that'll change but right now it feels more like a gimped strat than anything.

I'm hoping that it'll work better with the tube amp that I'm building and if it does, then maybe my problem won't be a problem anymore.
Regarding the Texas Special pickups - they're the same ones that are used in the SRV signature strat (which retails for around £1700), so if that's the kind of tone your after then you can't really go wrong. I tried a Lonestar at a shop (or the SSS equivalent, to be precise - still Texas Specials though) and, due to the pickups being a little hotter than "regular" strat ones, the guitar sounded great for rock in general.
Well, like I said, all of the ones you mentioned in your original post are good options. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

In the $500 price range, the made in Indonesia G&L Tributes are tough competition for the MiM Fenders.

Also made in Indonesia, the Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare would be a good, dark-horse candidate.

A used Godin Stratclone- Progression, Freeway, etc.- is a very good option. They're made in Canada with very good QC, and play quite nicely,

I personally also like the Fret-King Supers. I'm in Texas, and imported one from London, despite swimming in a sea of Fender Strats. I have not regretted it. The new ones run just under $700 after all is said & done, so probably not a good deal for you unless you find a used one.

But since you say you're building an amp, I have to strongly suggest the Carvin Bolt kits. They're in your price range, and use pretty good materials. Assuming you've the skills, the finished project is going to be a damn good machine. As I understand it, the kits are semi-customizable, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by paul.housley.7
Thinking about trading one of my guitars. I'm not ready to plunge in - just testing the waters. I have some strat questions. Information gathering.

I'm about a year into the hobby. I'm approaching that "pre-teen in the talent show" degree of playing aptitude. (At 35 yrs old - lol at me) I am generally most interested in funk, classic rock, hard rock and 80s metal sorta music. At the top of my list is Frusciante, Slash, Morello but there's also EVH, Eric Johnson, Satriani, and I also enjoy bands like Metallica and Foo Fighters.

I was a little bit confused by the different Strat models. I'm pretty certain that I want an HSS configuration but then you've got a bunch of different choices. Lone Star vs Standard HSS for example.

I am also aware that there is a million different companies making strat clones. It's a little confusing.

I want a single coil strat neck sound. I also want some quack, but i want to have a little bit of bite too. I really like the PRS necks and particularly the wide-thin neck profile but I can't trade an SE Allender for a 513 PRS. Too big a price difference. Probably not going to be landing any Suhrs or Carvins either. I don't expect that a MIA strat is in my future either. So what are the realistic choices if I try to trade my SE?

MiM Lone Star Strat?
Yamaha Pacifica HSS?
Fernandes RetroRocket?

I've already got those three on my list of guitars to try. Any other brands that I should look into?
And what about the Lone Star Strat? Are those pickups - Texas Specials and Pearly Gates humbucker - pretty different from the standard Strat pickups?

If you want a Strat, just get the best strat you can afford. It doesn't make any sense to go with another manufacturer since Fender has rock bottom prices and no one can compete with them on the price/quality for basic models. If you want to spend some more money, than things like a Suhr or Silhouette Special from Musicman would good options, but under a $1000.00 you may as well go with a Fender, they're practically giving them away.

I would recommend you get a second hand American Standard with stock pickups.
It doesn't make any sense to go with another manufacturer since Fender has rock bottom prices and no one can compete with them on the price/quality for basic models.

Absolutely not true. New G&L Tributes cost no more than new MiM Fenders, and many consider them better. I could go on, but there's no need.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, like I said, all of the ones you mentioned in your original post are good options. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

In the $500 price range, the made in Indonesia G&L Tributes are tough competition for the MiM Fenders.

Also made in Indonesia, the Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare would be a good, dark-horse candidate.

A used Godin Stratclone- Progression, Freeway, etc.- is a very good option. They're made in Canada with very good QC, and play quite nicely,

I personally also like the Fret-King Supers. I'm in Texas, and imported one from London, despite swimming in a sea of Fender Strats. I have not regretted it. The new ones run just under $700 after all is said & done, so probably not a good deal for you unless you find a used one.

But since you say you're building an amp, I have to strongly suggest the Carvin Bolt kits. They're in your price range, and use pretty good materials. Assuming you've the skills, the finished project is going to be a damn good machine. As I understand it, the kits are semi-customizable, too.

This passage demonstrates why I like to ask questions. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I don't think I'm ready to build a guitar just yet but I'm very tempted by the idea of building one.
Of the others - the Zelinsky Custom looks like a very pretty guitar. I got creeped out by the way the Z-glide necks look though. Do not want.
I'll have to keep an eye out for one though. I want to try one if I can.

@ Reverb and nosegrabmaster
One vote for Lone Star and one vote for SSS Strat?
I'm worried that the Lone Star would be too - uh... gritty? Too southern? As for the SSS strats I like position - hopefully I'm not labeling these backwards - 1 (neck), 2 and 4 (quack) but I didn't care so much for bridge and middle by themselves.

I do worry that what I'm after is a Strat and only a strat. I keep thinking about one particular member here who said that he was hoping that an Agile Les Paul would satisfy him but he eventually realized that he needed a Gibson. As for me on the other hand - I don't think I NEED a Fender but I could be wrong about that.
The Tagliares are also available- even more cheaply- without the Z-glide. You're unlikely to find one anytime soon, though: they're only sold directly to the public via the website in the USA, and have only been on the market about a year, max.

The Carvin Bolt kits should be well within your skillset for wiring if you're building an amp. The only tricky part would be the finish. And I know I've seen some guys & gals on UG who have made their own guitars with store bought guitar woodstains that look fabulous.

Quote by paul.housley.7

@ Reverb and nosegrabmaster
One vote for Lone Star and one vote for SSS Strat?
I'm worried that the Lone Star would be too - uh... gritty? Too southern? As for the SSS strats I like position - hopefully I'm not labeling these backwards - 1 (neck), 2 and 4 (quack) but I didn't care so much for bridge and middle by themselves.

I do worry that what I'm after is a Strat and only a strat. I keep thinking about one particular member here who said that he was hoping that an Agile Les Paul would satisfy him but he eventually realized that he needed a Gibson. As for me on the other hand - I don't think I NEED a Fender but I could be wrong about that.

The only advantage of the SSS to HSS is that it sounds more balanced and natural when switching from neck to bridge. Switching from single coil to humbucker is not as smooth, almost sounds like your going from one guitar to another. That being said, if you really like a bridge humbucker over a single coil, which can be brittle, the added flexibility is worth it.

As much as I consider other brands, like Godin or G&L, to be decent, if you want a Strat, just get a Strat - it's not like there's an insane name brand markup like with Gibson. The problems with other brands, while they can sound as good or better, is they will sound different than a Strat, if ever so slightly, and if you're after the Strat sound, then you'll ultimately be annoyed at your decision.

I speak from experience, I have a Musicman Silhouette Special HSS guitar which I bought so that could have the best of both worlds, great single coil neck tones and a bridge humbucker. It's an amazing guitar in all respects. However, I also have a American Standard Strat that I purchased years later, for the sole reason that I wanted the Strat tone for some tunes and the Silhouette, while completely amazing, was a different tone the Strat. Again, if you want the Strat tone from the records you listen to, just get a Strat!
Last edited by reverb66 at Jul 15, 2014,
Quote by paul.housley.7

I want a single coil strat neck sound. I also want some quack, but i want to have a little bit of bite too.

Not quite what you were asking for, but it jumped out at me when I saw all of hte music you want to play.

Give some thought to the Fender Strat Blacktop. I really like mine. The humbuckers give you bite and quack when you want it, and the coil splitter gets that single coil neck sound too.

As much as I consider other brands, like Godin or G&L, to be decent, if you want a Strat, just get a Strat - it's not like there's an insane name brand markup like with Gibson. The problems with other brands, while they can sound as good or better, is they will sound different than a Strat, if ever so slightly, and if you're after the Strat sound, then you'll ultimately be annoyed at your decision.

Personally, I think there is almost as much variation in the tones delivered by Fender's 50+ different Strat models* as would be found surveying the various Stratclones out there.

(And, FWIW, nobody has ever described my Fret-King's tone as anything but "stratty". )

Don't get me wrong: there are Stratclones out there that don't sound much like the original. But some of those SLOs are every bit as classically voiced as the standard Strat.

* went to their site & searched for "Stratocaster"- more than 15 pages at 12 per page. Some differed only in being lefties, or by having certain colors, though.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2014,
Agreed. What's a strat sound like anyway? Does an MIM with ceramic pickups sound like a 1954?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's the anatomy of one of my favorite "strats:"

It's a Carvin (don't hold that against it), neck-through construction, mahogany neck and body sides. Maple cap (not as thick as an LP's, but it's not carved, either). Ebony fretboard, abalone dot inlays, straight-pull headstock, Wilkenson trem, teflon nut, medium jumbo frets. 25" scale, 24 frets, smooth neck-body transition, great upper fret access, 14" radius.

Pickups are HSH. Controls are a five-way, a pair of knobs (a master volume, master "tone" treble rolloff) and three mini-switches. Two of the miniswitches are individual coil taps for the humbuckers. One is a "bridge pickup add-in".

With the two miniswitches in coil tapped mode, the five-way operates exactly as you'd expect for a strat. I've left the coils closest to the bridge and closest to the fretboard active (and,of course, the middle single coil). The pickups are powerful enough that coil tapping them gives me a very traditional-sounding strat sound in each position.

With the miniswitches left in humbucker mode, the five-way gets some different sounds, and you've got a bridge-only humbucker sound and a neck-only humbucker sound. You can, if you wish, leave the neck humbucker in single-coil mode if you want an HSS-sounding guitar. But the bridge pickup add-in also gives you the Les Paul bridge+neck "both pickups selected" position sound. In all, a LOT of choices. The trem's there if you need it, and with the straight-pull headstock and teflon nut, there isn't much problem with tuning (it's also got locking tuners, FWIW). If you don't need it, the trem (without the bar) feels pretty much like a hard tail.
That blacktop wasn't on my list at all. I'll do some research on that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been digging around for information about every guitar that has been suggested. A few of them don't do it for me visually but that can't be helped. I like the Tagliare a lot as far as looks go.
Seperately - I have still been going back and forth between standard hss and fender lonestar demos as well and I think that the standard generally has more of the qualities i'm seeking.

The lonestar is really cool but i think it's cool in a grevelly sort of way. I think i need more chime, more bell.

Is it fair to say that most of the clones will have a sound closer to the strat sound than the lonestar sound? I don't know what "strat-like" means to other people. I can hear some quack-like qualities in the lonestar but it's not quacking like the HSS.

Of course i know that youtube videos are a bad way to demo guitar sounds. Can't control for amplifier. Can't control for recording quality. Playing skill. Etc....
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Absolutely not true. New G&L Tributes cost no more than new MiM Fenders, and many consider them better. I could go on, but there's no need.

Having owned multiple of both, I'd say that neither are better. They're different animals, really. Depends on what you want out of a Strat. For the music listen in the original post, I'd recommend a G&L S500 or Legacy.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 15, 2014,
Quote by paul.housley.7

Is it fair to say that most of the clones will have a sound closer to the strat sound than the lonestar sound? I don't know what "strat-like" means to other people. I can hear some quack-like qualities in the lonestar but it's not quacking like the HSS.

It really depends on which guitars you're looking at, how good they are (quality, I mean) and whether they're trying to totally clone a strat, or be their own thing (but sort of inspired by a strat).

With HSS you lose the bridge single coil alone setting, and the bridge + middle single coil settings (you still have it, but it doesn't sound as good). If you use those two positions a lot, then an HSS strat won't sound as stratty to you.

Conversely if you don't use those positions a lot (or need the tone of a bridge humbucker more), then HSS is worth considering for the extra versatility. You still have the middle, neck + middle and neck pickup tones (60%) that an SSS strat has, and (assuming everything else is the same, which they might not be) theoretically at least, the tones for those pickup selections should be identical (or at least, very, very similar) to those same pickup selections on an SSS strat.

If you want something which sounds exactly like a strat, go SSS.

If you want something which does most of the more popular strat tones, but which has extra versatility for heavier tones, go HSS.

That's about the height of it. I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you're probably right Dave.

I think I said already - I'm not looking for the single coil bridge sound at all.
I do really like the bridge/middle combination in the sss strats but the neck/middle combination is also very good and I don't think that there's enough difference between the two that i'd miss it. I like the bridge pickup in the HSS standard and i also like the SD Pearly Gates but for different reasons of course. I don't LOVE either humbucker but they're better than a single coil imho.

I went through a zillion or so ads on the gear page and i did come up with one Highway One that's available for trade and seems to be in the proper range as far as value goes. I haven't had enough time to research that yet but it seems to be somewhat lower quality than an American Standard but higher than a MiM?
Didn't find any leads on guitars from any of the other manufacturers discussed here. Not yet anyways.
Relevant to the discussion: Found a good head to head between MiM and MiA strat tones.

http://youtu.be/AUr5aIPmkH0

And a pretty good demo of the MiA Standard HSS

http://youtu.be/0SrW1_mbm_8

And I do like the bridge humbucker in this vid.
http://youtu.be/0SrW1_mbm_8?t=3m24s
Same video, I just added the time signature so that you can jump straight to the humbucker demo if you'd like.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Jul 16, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Agreed. What's a strat sound like anyway? Does an MIM with ceramic pickups sound like a 1954?

good thought. often when strat sound is mentioned they mean the chimey clean tone associated with a 54. BUT not always. I love strats but to me I want the dirty tones and have little interest in chimes or quack for that matter.
^ Yeah absolutely. You candefinitely overthink these things, and attribute too much to things which only have a subtle effect. I mean, I wouldn't say a USA standard strat doesn't sound like a strat, and its spec is a fair bit different to a vintage reissue. Even an MIM standard sounds more or less like a strat (but would benefit from a pickup upgrade, especially if you're after more vintage tones).

I was more arguing with the blanket statement made by reverb66 that only fenders sound like strats- if something like an MIM standard, which has those ceramic bar magnet pickups, is considered to still sound like a strat, but something like an MIJ tokai or similar, which has more accurate specs in almost every way, allegedly doesn't, I'm calling BS. I'd even have some sympathy for the viewpoint that "Fenders sound more authentic", but there needs to be genuine reasons why, plus it's an overgeneralisation.

Quote by paul.housley.7
(a) I think you're probably right Dave.

(b) I think I said already - I'm not looking for the single coil bridge sound at all.
I do really like the bridge/middle combination in the sss strats but the neck/middle combination is also very good and I don't think that there's enough difference between the two that i'd miss it. I like the bridge pickup in the HSS standard and i also like the SD Pearly Gates but for different reasons of course. I don't LOVE either humbucker but they're better than a single coil imho.

I went through a zillion or so ads on the gear page and i did come up with one Highway One that's available for trade and seems to be in the proper range as far as value goes. (c) I haven't had enough time to research that yet but it seems to be somewhat lower quality than an American Standard but higher than a MiM?
Didn't find any leads on guitars from any of the other manufacturers discussed here. Not yet anyways.

(a) maybe

(b) Yeah. bridge/middle does sound a bit different to neck/middle, it's a bit brighter. I prefer bridge/middle (but most players seem to prefer neck/middle i think (citation needed ).

If the bridge humbucker auto-splits in the bridge/middle pickup position, that'll improve the tone of bridge/middle to make it sort of comparable to bridge/middle on an SSS. Not as good, and kind of a rough approximation rather than "bang-on", but a lot closer than bridge/middle will sound if the humbucker doesn't auto-split.

(c) yeah i'm guessing that's probably about right. I don't have that much experience with them, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by paul.housley.7
Relevant to the discussion: Found a good head to head between MiM and MiA strat tones.

http://youtu.be/AUr5aIPmkH0

Nice vid!

I'm amused by his first demo song choice, though, since David Gilmour modified his Red Strat with active pickups. The EMG pre-wired pickguards are almost $300.

Which means that- while the sale is going on, at least- the Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG may be one of the better options for someone seeking to emulate his sound on a budget.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/75-retrorocket-deluxe-dg.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nice vid!

I'm amused by his first demo song choice, though, since David Gilmour modified his Red Strat with active pickups. The EMG pre-wired pickguards are almost $300.

Which means that- while the sale is going on, at least- the Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG may be one of the better options for someone seeking to emulate his sound on a budget.

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/75-retrorocket-deluxe-dg.html

I've been wondering why fender doesn't have a mim with a maple veneer, blue flame finish and flatter radius fingerboard.

Lo and behold! The retrorocket x!

But i'm planning to drag my feet for a while and there's not a lot of those left.
Ugh.
Darn limited supplies.
Don't get the X model Fernandes- that's entry level stuff.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah absolutely. You candefinitely overthink these things, and attribute too much to things which only have a subtle effect. I mean, I wouldn't say a USA standard strat doesn't sound like a strat, and its spec is a fair bit different to a vintage reissue. Even an MIM standard sounds more or less like a strat (but would benefit from a pickup upgrade, especially if you're after more vintage tones).

I was more arguing with the blanket statement made by reverb66 that only fenders sound like strats- if something like an MIM standard, which has those ceramic bar magnet pickups, is considered to still sound like a strat, but something like an MIJ tokai or similar, which has more accurate specs in almost every way, allegedly doesn't, I'm calling BS. I'd even have some sympathy for the viewpoint that "Fenders sound more authentic", but there needs to be genuine reasons why, plus it's an overgeneralisation.

(a) maybe

(b) Yeah. bridge/middle does sound a bit different to neck/middle, it's a bit brighter. I prefer bridge/middle (but most players seem to prefer neck/middle i think (citation needed ).

If the bridge humbucker auto-splits in the bridge/middle pickup position, that'll improve the tone of bridge/middle to make it sort of comparable to bridge/middle on an SSS. Not as good, and kind of a rough approximation rather than "bang-on", but a lot closer than bridge/middle will sound if the humbucker doesn't auto-split.

(c) yeah i'm guessing that's probably about right. I don't have that much experience with them, though.

yeah totally agree. nothing about a "real" fender that can't be duplicated by others. the pickups are important and if you have vintage spec pups then whether a tokai or one of the many small boutique builders it will sound like a strat.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah totally agree. nothing about a "real" fender that can't be duplicated by others. the pickups are important and if you have vintage spec pups then whether a tokai or one of the many small boutique builders it will sound like a strat.

The guy has like a $500 budget...he isn't getting a Tokai or a guitar from a boutique builder, his best bet is a Fender.
Updated after doing lots of additional research

It seems overwhelmingly likely that a fender would be my best bet, but fender sells a lotta strats that I wouldn't have much interest in due to color choices.
There's lots of strats that have pickguards that i do not want. Common example - the black strat with red pearl pickguard.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/attachments/guitar-owners-clubs/28428d1318691675-black-strat-owners-club-st-362v-red-black.jpg

Nothing wrong with that but it does not do anything for me.

I would really like a blue flame finish, but teal or basically any shade of blue or green are going to have my attention. Like this flippin' thing.
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-50709-fender-CUSTOM-SHOP-contemporary-stratocaster
That's nice.

And I see that lots of people buy strats and decide that they need hotter pickups, but the more i listen the more i think i just want the stock american standard pickups.
I also feel like my trade offering is in between MiM and MiA in terms of value (personal opinion) so i would feel like i'm taking a loss if i trade for a MiM but i am skeptical that anyone with a real MiA would consider it a fair trade.

But those are my problems. I think i'll just have to be patient. This has been extremely helpful. Thank you everyone.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Updated after doing lots of additional research

It seems overwhelmingly likely that a fender would be my best bet, but fender sells a lotta strats that I wouldn't have much interest in due to color choices.
There's lots of strats that have pickguards that i do not want.

You can order custom pickguards from this company ( and quite a few others):

http://www.greasygroove.com/
Quote by monwobobbo

As I said, I have some sympathy for the "the original guys have never quite been copied 100%" argument, but (a) that doesn't mean it's magic either and (b) that doesn't quite tally in with what fender itself actually allegedly said first time it visited japan and those japanese factories. "Holy shit how come we can't make reissues as close to the old ones as you can?!?!?!" (paraphrased) was the rough gist of their response. Fender's had a devil of a time making strats like old strats, too.

Quote by reverb66
The guy has like a $500 budget...he isn't getting a Tokai or a guitar from a boutique builder, his best bet is a Fender.

that's a fair point I'm not sure there are no other options at that price point, but I could be wrong as I'm not that familiar with US pricing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are options- G&L Tributes not the least among them.

That's what I was thinking, but I've only tried the USA ones. Godins maybe, too, but I dunno if they have many SSS ones or if most are more like superstrats (again, I haven't tried the SSS ones).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm paying attention to G&L for sure.

I have heard lots of good things about Godin but I don't care for the way they look. I can't see myself falling in love with a guitar that looks like that.

What's not to like?

It's a design thing. I wanted to be an industrial designer for a little while when i was younger. I used to follow lines and shapes around the surface of consumer products. I mostly did this with cars but the godin pick-guard triggers a sense of "wrongness" for me. Both of the edges that originate at the humbucker are unnatural-looking. They seem to exist in that location for no other reason than because the pick-guard had to connect somewhere.

The fender pickguard is by no means perfect but there is at least a consistent rhythm to the shapes and the proportions are pretty much standardized, so it's "right by default" even if it's not perfect in and of itself.

It's like all the clone headstocks that don't look exactly like a fender but are clearly in that orbit. I like fernandes a little better than most because they've done some things to make it look non-fender and it looks interesting even if it's not entirely cohesive with the shape of the body.
I design as well, so I understand exactly what you're saying- that's 100% valid. But, since tastes differ, that doesn't trigger my "wrongometer."

I forgot to say that i do feel that the size of the godin pickguard is more correct than fender's. I'm not sure what i would do differently but i don't think any of the strat shapes are exactly right. It definitely helps if you get a deluxe 3-ply pickguard when you have a strat, but sometimes if the guitar or the pickguard has a texture to it then the 3-ply can be too muc detail.

I think prs has some good ideas and some of their shapes are the closest to being right. the zelinsky carves are interesting, but also not quite right in my eyes. The les paul is probably the best looking guitar out of all the standard body shapes (imo) and the sg is very good but i think the fact that it's so symetrical is putting me off a little bit.

I'm glad you understood. Makes me feel good.
If/when you get a craving- and budget- for a higher-end SSS Stratclone, do give the Godins another look- nice flaming, and the pickguard (if you want one) is transparent.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpassionrg3p.htm

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If/when you get a craving- and budget- for a higher-end SSS Stratclone, do give the Godins another look- nice flaming, and the pickguard (if you want one) is transparent.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpassionrg3p.htm

I like the clear pickguard when you can see a little bit of the edge. It's like an outline that preserves the shape but it doesn't obscure the wood.

Strats (like most any guitar i think) do benefit greatly from some wood-grain. It's a shame Alder doesn't have a nicer grain.
Wait... whut? Why was I not informed of this!
(I am joking)
Koa is pretty much the best wood ever, and I'm a native Hawaiian (actually I'm a white dude who lived in Pearl Harbor for 4 years)
This is not a blue Strat but it is a Koa veneer, and that's a cool look for a Strat. Made in Korea though.

Page 1 of 2