I finally got down to GC today to try out some 7s. Tried an Ibanez ARZ307, Schecter Damien Elite 7, LTD M-17, and an Ibanez RG7421. My findings were decently surprising, but I don't feel like I really gained a whole lot, unfortunately.

Ibanez ARZ307 - To be very blunt and concise: this is just not a good guitar. It feels very cheap, and it is just not enjoyable to play. Something about it, or maybe just the combination of its shape, carves and thickness just doesn't work. Maybe it's the weight too, it's pretty heavy. Sound wise, it comes in 2nd place. But nothing good about the sound. Definitely needs a pup swap, as expected.

Schecter Damien Elite 7: Obviously for sound this gets first place. It's the only one that had good pickups (EMG 81-7 & 707). That out of the way, this was the most insightful to play, because I learned that the 26.5" scale is actually far less notable than I imagined it would be. That said I still prefer the feel of 25.5", but the 26.5" doesn't make any chord shapes undoable, or even really that much harder to do. On the downside, whatever ****wit owned this guitar before put spaghetti strings on it, which made it very hard to demo well. The low A (I'm tuning to Drop A) just did not have enough substance there to work with. Didn't have this issue on any of the others. Also, this one had a standard TOM with string through body design, and it's arguably the first guitar of that design that I got along with. Not that it matters much because I'm definitely getting an FR in whatever I get, but it was interesting. Every other guitar I've played with a TOM without a tailpiece I haven't been able to get comfortable at all on. No issues here for whatever reason. I didn't really like the neck profile. Just a bit too fat I think. Maybe a weird curve. String spacing was great though compared to the others (which is weird since they all have the same 48mm nut width). I think most Schecters have that same profile which kind of buries them in the competition, especially cause they have virtually nothing with FRs. But maybe I could go for one of their SLS models if I ever want a fixed bridge.

LTD M-17: Nothing about this guitar is notable. Which is both good and bad, especially considering the price. The pickups are pretty terrible. If you don't mind swapping pups, I would probably recommend this guitar as a super cheap 7 ($200) to test the waters with. Being as it is an M model, the neck profile was definitely not working for me. Way too shallow of a carve to work with a neck that wide. One of those profiles that makes my hands cramp up after playing a little while. But again, pickups aside, not a bad guitar for the price. Finish & QC was acceptable, not bad.

Ibanez RG7421: Now, this is the one that surprised me. I was not expecting to like this guitar. But I did, it was the most comfortable of the bunch. I am normally a stickler for not liking flat top guitars, but, like the TOM without a tailpiece, something about 7 strings seems to throw off my normal preferences. I was checking out how my arm was resting because I was so perplexed - my forearm was resting entirely on the cutaway, whereas on 6 strings my forearm rests more on the actual flat top. So that's a huge difference in feel. Also the bridge, which I normally despise and find actually painful to play, was not an issue on a 7. Because the way my hand was resting/anchoring was not even on the bridge. Really really strange compared to my normal technique. That guitar just works though. I was very apprehensive about the neck profile, because I hate the Wizard II, but the Wizard II-7 is another thing that just works. When I was playing it I thought it much be a Wizard III. But the specs all say II. I'll definitely have to play this more because if RGs are in the mix, my number of options opens up dramatically. Soundwise: Dogshit. Complete and utter dogshit. Nothing positive to say about these new "QM-7" stock pups they're using. They are just terrible, some of the muddiest I have ever heard. Really even gives the notorious INFs a run for their money. Which is really saying something. But that's neither here nor there. Pickups are easy to replace.

Now, through the hours of research I've done, and no matter how many times I go through the research again, I always come back to the ESP Horizon FR-7 as the top contender. But looking at the specs of what I saw today may open up some other possibilities. The Horizon has a 305mm radius. The same as the ARZ, and smaller than anything else I played. So that's a bit scary, as I hated the ARZ. Radius wise, the 350mm of the M-17 felt the best for full chord forming. So maybe it's worth considering the LTD H-1007FR, which has the same radius. 26.5" scale isn't a deal breaker, though the 25.5" is easier to play. Flat top RGs may be okay.

More to think about.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Personally, I played the LTD MH-417 last year, and quite enjoyed it. It didn't feel completely right to me, but I hardly ever play 7s, but maybe check that one out as well? It is a bit higher price wise though.

/my2cents
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I want to try out every 7 I can get my hands on.

Problem is this is all I can get my hands on. Very limited in choices around here.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd like to see your opinions on a JP70 if you can spend some time with one.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
nice reviews

I dunno anything about 7s so that's all I've got
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice reviews

I dunno anything about 7s so that's all I've got

They've got 7 strings and they go djntdjntdjnt?

That's what the world knows about sevens. Sadly.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
thanks for the info. you learn something new every day.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi to all!
One question... I'm really interested of this Ibanez RG 7421, but I read the review and you wrote it has QM1 pickups. In different online shops I sede that guitar has two AH7 humbuckers, in others it has two QM1 as you said. So, which pickups does it nave, the QM1 or the AH7? Or are they the dame thing? I think that AH7 are a little better reading on the web... Right? Thank you!
Looks like it has QM7 according to the current Ibanez (UK) website.

It's possible that it's had different pickups over the years, though, often specs like that can change from year to year. If you care one way or the other you could email the store(s) you're thinking of buying from for a straight answer. Also that will tell you how new the guitar they're selling you is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, the RG7421 has existed for a LONG time. The model name goes way back to 90s MIJ Ibanez. The QM1 pups are on the newest iterations, I think only 2014 models. Maybe 2013 models.

I'm pretty sure the AH7s are the ones that are in the ARZ307. They are usable, but still a bit muddy and lifeless. Definitely not good. If you're buying Ibanez, you should know not to buy based on the sound. I'm not sure that Ibanez has ever put out a good pickup (no idea about their old Artist models).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thank you... Mmm I was looking the Schecter Omen 7 and I really like it, more than the Ibanez (the more I read on Ibanez guitar, the more I'm not sure of buying one). But I'm really really afraid on one thing that for me is the most important thing: the neck. I would have a thick and comfortable neck and fretboard and I know Ibanez is the best, but many Schecter players said that also Schecters' necks are good over every aspect.
What do you think?

PS: I have a Les Paul (a kit copy I've bought and built), also my friends have LP and I don't like the neck at all...
Last edited by Onke at Jul 21, 2014,