PREAMBLE
While playing Valkyrie Profile on my phone I thought that Valkyrie would be a nice name for a guitar, I've told about this to a friend and he liked the idea, since he has got some woodworking tools, some chunks of wood and he volunteered to do the woodwork we decided to start the project.

BODY AND NECK
Being inspired by a japanese RPG I felt that the shape had to be a little peculiar
The cut out around the bridge is supposed to look like a pair of Valkyrie wings.
The body is made of a single piece of some kind of european maple, It seasoned for some years so it's not very heavy, the whole guitar weights about 3.6 kg, more or less like my strats and 400 grams less than my Les Paul. The electronics cavities are drilled inside the lower horns so there's not much wood left, I hope that the horns won't bend or break.
It wasn't easy to shield such narrow cavities with an aluminium foil but it was worth the effort, my other guitars buzz a little bit with high gain when I'm not touching the strings while this one is completely silent.
To run the wires my friend drilled 3 holes from the neck pocket with a 40 cm drill bit, one to each cavity and one to the bridge.
The neck is a no brand strat-style neck, the seller claims it's made in Japan but there's no way to tell, it's made of maple with painted black inlays, it's pretty basic but frets are fine and it seems stable.
The truss rod adjustment is at the heel, fortunately it didn't need any adjustment because it's very annoying to unscrew the neck just for that.

FINISH
I've decided to paint the body and the neck with a water based finish.
It was the first time I've used a spray gun and the finishing process was problematic and ruined by bubbles, I could sand them on the front and the back but much less on the edges, and the flat surfaces have got still an orange peel look...I should have really started from scratch, but hey, if Fender sells relic guitars for thousands of bucks why can't I have a guitar with bubbles on the finish?

HARDWARE
I've chosen a Schaller 3D-6 bridge because it allows to adjust string spacing, I didn't know the exact dimensions of the neck and the pickups beforehand so that's a nice feature, and also its adjustability makes it more tolerant to the imprecisions in the building of the guitar.
I wasn't enthusiastic to purchase a bridge with rolling saddles but they don't seem to create problems, I can't hear no buzzing noises coming from them and acoustic sustain is fine, I've tried to compare the guitar side by side with my Les Paul and I couldn't tell which one sustained more, if there's a difference it's quite small.
The tuners are Schaller m6 2000, they are quite heavy and solidly built, this is my first guitar with locking tuners and I like how they keep tuning immediately after a restring, especially since I've never learned how to string a guitar properly
My only complaint is that they don't feel as smooth as their price tag might suggest, the Grover tuners on my Les Paul feel smoother.
Lastly, the q-parts knobs deserve a mention, they can be tightened securely with the included hex key and they also include a removable bronze sleeve to make them fit on two different shaft sizes.

CONTROLS
For each humbucker there are:
- one tone knob
- one switch for series/parallel wiring
- one volume knob (if pulled) or a spin-a-split knob (if pushed)

The spin-a-split is a wiring mod that allows to turn off one coil gradually.

The tone knobs are push/pull too, one to reverse the phase of the neck pickup, the other to wire the bridge and neck pickups in series.

PICKUPS AND SOUND
I'm happy with the single coils in my strats so I went for a twin humbucker setup on this one. I didn't quite bond with my Les Paul, mostly because I'm not comfortable with its shape, but also because it sounds quite thick, especially the neck pickup, and I like bright and airy tones.
The PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck position delivers the tones I was looking for, brighter than my Les Paul but still with a nice mid presence.
The spin-a-split is quite useful on cleans and crunch, with high gain the difference between the full and split humbucker becomes more subtle so the spin-a-split provides more control than it's needed, still in my opinion it was worth the cost of the push pull pot, but not much more!
It's worth mentioning that, following the Di Marzio wiring schematics, the coil split turns off the screw coil, it's quite a pity because the slug coil sounds a bit worse, more shrill, the screw coil sounds rounder, more like an underpowered strat pickup, it makes sense because the distance between the screw coil and the saddles is 1/4 of the scale length, just like a on strat.
I've messed up the position of the bridge pickup, it's too close to the bridge and it had kind of an out of phase sound, reversing it and raising the pole pieces helped but it sounds still bright with quite a ton of high mids and highs, I wouldn't call it ear piercing, but pretty close
I'm still undecided if I should keep it like this, one one hand I like this screaming tone, on the other hand it's a bit too aggressive on high e and b strings, my other option is to move the pickup cavity 1 cm farther from the bridge and cover the hole with a strip of metal.
My bridge DiMarzio AT-1 has got a resistance of about 15 kohm, that's weird because, according to the specs, it's supposed to be 16.5 kohm, anyway the effect on tone should be negligible compared to the pickup placement.

FINAL WORDS
Overall I like how the guitar turned out, sure, I could have bought an overall better guitar for the money and resale value of this guitar is lower than the resale value of the components is made of, but it was a fun experience and the guitar is perfectly playable, so for sure I don't regret this build!

PHOTOS
full res photos here: http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/billyTheShears/library/Valkyrie

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats
That's very Japanese! I like it!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That control layout hurts my head..

Good looking guitar though
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
looks like a very good build....but personally i think its uglier than sin. but if you like it great work. many would never put the effort in
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Neat guitar! The positioning of the controls on both rear horns is definitely eye-catching. Was it difficult to run the channels for the wiring?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Fisheth24
That's very Japanese! I like it!

Quote by Dave_Mc
very nice

Thanks!

Quote by Carrot
That control layout hurts my head..

Good looking guitar though

With humbuckers I can't resist to add features

Quote by Tony Done
Lotsa a fun mucking with guitar biulds/mods eh?

FWIW, with a name like Valkyrie, I would drill a hole in that fender headstock to get it looking like a stylised version of this:

Almost funnier than playing! Cool shape, maybe a bit creepy, I'll consider that for my next build...if I ever
build another one, for sure not anytime soon!

Quote by ikey_
looks like a very good build....but personally i think its uglier than sin. but if you like it great work. many would never put the effort in

I knew from the beginning that somebody would totally hate this design I always appreciate to hear other people's honest opinion.

Quote by FatalGear41
Neat guitar! The positioning of the controls on both rear horns is definitely eye-catching. Was it difficult to run the channels for the wiring?

The control cavities are quite narrow (about 2.5 cm) so it wasn't very easy, on the lower horn the channel end is located beside the 3 way pickup selector, while the other channel is spot on.

that guitar is like falling in love with a stripper
Silmeria
Valkyrie
modded Squier Strats