So I have bought the guitar learn and master because I wanted to learn guitar and it seemed like a great way. After 3 weeks of practicing (I hope efficiantly), I am now able to play songs, if I practice them a lot, like Star Spangled Banner, with sheet music. I have been playing piano for 9 years and im not used to being bad at an instrument anymore. So am I making great progress? I want to start playing real songs that I like but im not good enough and it makes it feel I wont ever get there. So has the learn and master dvds done me good or should I stop and take lessons.
no rule that says you can't both use the DVDs and also get lessons (if you can afford them).

3 weeks is no time at all, so don't worry about that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you've been playing 3 weeks you'll suck...everybody does that early on. There's no such thing as "great progress" in such a short timeframe so it's best to stop worrying about it. Besides nobody can judge your ability based on what you say you can do, after all a beginner isn't really qualified to make that assessment.

The only way anyone can say if you're any good is to hear or see you play, but at 3 weeks it's simply not worth worrying about. Maybe think about posting a video after 6 months then ask how you're getting on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you've been playing 3 weeks you'll suck...everybody does that early on. There's no such thing as "great progress" in such a short timeframe so it's best to stop worrying about it. Besides nobody can judge your ability based on what you say you can do, after all a beginner isn't really qualified to make that assessment.

The only way anyone can say if you're any good is to hear or see you play, but at 3 weeks it's simply not worth worrying about. Maybe think about posting a video after 6 months then ask how you're getting on.

Ok thanks cuz my friends have been playing for 1 month and they say they are pretty good or intermediate... but once again, they learned from rocksmith so...
Quote by imomof
Ok thanks cuz my friends have been playing for 1 month and they say they are pretty good or intermediate...

I've been playing a bit longer than 5 years now and i don't think i would've considered myself intermediate until about 3-4 years. An experienced players idea of "intermediate" is much different to a beginner. I'm sure after 10 years my opinion of intermediate will be different once again.

You also have to look at all styles of playing. I'd consider myself advanced at metal, but ask me to play classical (which i love) and sadly I am far from advanced. I'd still consider it a stretch to call myself amateur at classical.

At the end of the day though I don't really like using the whole "beginner, intermediate, advanced" etc label because you can't measure a certain level of ability because it's completely subjective and there's way way way too many variables to take in to consideration.
Last edited by vayne92 at Jul 15, 2014,
^ Yeah. I think I'm not too bad... ish... if you only look at hair metal for example. if you look at actual real music i'm a total hack.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I also made the transition to guitar from piano (just got my grade 7 in February ) so I know the frustration of switching from adept to beginner. I've been playing guitar for roughly 5 years and I barely consider myself intermediate in skill/technique, so it's entirely relative to what you want as a guitarist.

You'll get there with practice, trust me. Don't rush, slow accurate practice builds synapses and weeds out incorrect technique in the long run.