Hey guys, Long time reader here.

I've started learning guitar again recently (been at it for a month now) and I believe I'm making good progress.

But when I hear songs or see videos of great guitar players playing high level stuff, particularly on youtube, I feel a bit demotivated to play since I know I won't make this kind of sound anytime soon.

So what I want to know is: how do you feel when you listen to a song you like knowing you aren't able to play it anytime soon?

I know I can take it as a kind of motivation to work harder. Alas, my brain doesn't work that way.

Cheers
FACT: I will never paint the Mona Lisa or Sistine Chapel. Doesn't stop me from enjoying painting.

Comparing yourself against people who have practiced hundreds if not thousands of hours and perhaps have a certain gift of natural aptitude that most do not possess is sure to end in frustration. Instead, set a realistic goal for yourself. Enjoy it for what it is, not how you will stack up when measured against a "master" in any given craft.

If you're approaching it as some sort of competition, it *may* motivate some, but it is far more likely to discourage many more. Just my 2 rupees.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by StarGeezerTim
FACT: I will never paint the Mona Lisa or Sistine Chapel. Doesn't stop me from enjoying painting.

That's a good analogy
I've never thought I was comparing myself to the player who I'm listening to, but now that you said it it makes sense. :p

It's more like I want to make that sound 'mine' if that makes sense. Anyway thanks for the response!
Yeah man comparing yourself to others is the worst thing you can do because no matter how good you are there's someone better, i know how you feel though, i went through the same thing, the only thing you can do is just keep playing and one day you'll get there, it may seem a long way away but just keep progressing and learn songs you know you can play, try not to listen to really difficult stuff and think i wanna play that because it will demotivate you, whatever you do don't quit, keep going man
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by xaoz
Hey guys, Long time reader here.

I've started learning guitar again recently (been at it for a month now) and I believe I'm making good progress.

But when I hear songs or see videos of great guitar players playing high level stuff, particularly on youtube, I feel a bit demotivated to play since I know I won't make this kind of sound anytime soon.

So what I want to know is: how do you feel when you listen to a song you like knowing you aren't able to play it anytime soon?

I know I can take it as a kind of motivation to work harder. Alas, my brain doesn't work that way.

Cheers

No guitar player is better than the other this is just a mentality that beginners usually have. Once you understand that guitar is a never ending learning experience then maybe you'll stop thinking like this. If anything there's a lot of people that can play metal well, but put them in a Jazz setting, and they won't be able to play shit! Vice versa for everything else give a classical guitarist an electric guitar, and the same thing would happen.

Quote by CJGunner7
Yeah man comparing yourself to others is the worst thing you can do because no matter how good you are there's someone better, i know how you feel though, i went through the same thing, the only thing you can do is just keep playing and one day you'll get there, it may seem a long way away but just keep progressing and learn songs you know you can play, try not to listen to really difficult stuff and think i wanna play that because it will demotivate you, whatever you do don't quit, keep going man

Thanks for the motivational words.. Glad I'm not alone in feeling this way.
I actually already kind of stopped listening to the usual stuff I like and I'm steering to stuff I can play, even if it's a bit hard on the ear.
Quote by Black_devils
No guitar player is better than the other this is just a mentality that beginners usually have.

That's still a bit above me cause I'm no where close to being good in one style, but I see what you're saying.
I just enjoy playing music today at my current level. Because I enjoy it, I do a lot of it. As long as I continue doing that the long term goals will take care of themselves, and I'll have many years of enjoyable practicing in the meantime.
Quote by gtc83
I just enjoy playing music today at my current level. Because I enjoy it, I do a lot of it. As long as I continue doing that the long term goals will take care of themselves, and I'll have many years of enjoyable practicing in the meantime.

^ This for me too.I've been playing 20 years on and off and i just enjoy playing,Kinda don't set myself goals,Just learn stuff i wanna learn and enjoy playing.
Yeah, you've got to enjoy what you are doing - it's got to be fun. Life's too short for "all work, no play".
It's not an unusual feeling, though. WHen I saw Led Zep in 73, I was about 25 feet from Jimmy Page. I couldn't pick up my guitar for a week ("why bother?"). Of course I was deaf in my right ear for that long, too!
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Most of the time who cares I don't.

You got metal, blues and shred for the most part. Many are amazing check any Paul Gilbert etc. but it is all thoughts and practise what you want and were to take your playing skills.

Ok it can go that way or that way. Sit down and practise it until you are satisfied enough.

What is the goal? If you got the sound and picture in mind you will get there the more you focus on it so enjoy the journey. This goes for everything in life.