My buddy has a Yamaha FG-411L sitting around that he's never using.
Any shot I can just string this for a righty & use this to learn? I know it's probably not ideal but will it sound at least passable? Maybe even semi pleasant?
The head is at least looks ambidextrous & not setup lefty like i've seen on his other guitars.

I wont be plugging into an amp or anything, just strictly for sitting in my room learning chords & a few songs.

Thanks in advance & please excuse my lack of guitar knowledge.
Last edited by NyteGTI at Jul 15, 2014,
You have two problems:

1) You will need a new nut, because your thick bass strings will be on the wrong side for the current one.

2) Intonation will be bad, because the saddle will be angled in the wrong direction. Filling the original saddle slot and recutting it at the correct angle would be fairly expensive. However, it might still be good enough if you are only playing on the top few frets.
Quote by NyteGTI
My buddy has a Yamaha FG-411L sitting around that he's never using.
Any shot I can just string this for a righty & use this to learn? I know it's probably not ideal but will it sound at least passable? Maybe even semi pleasant?
The head is at least looks ambidextrous & not setup lefty like i've seen on his other guitars.

I wont be plugging into an amp or anything, just strictly for sitting in my room learning chords & a few songs.

Thanks in advance & please excuse my lack of guitar knowledge.
I've been forced to do this a few times in my life and it makes an awful mess. That particular Yamaha is worth about 200 bucks new. That said, I've got good news, and bad news. You can't really do a whole lot of damage reversing it, but it isn't worth having any work done to it. It really is a half assed approach.

If you want to learn guitar, there are guitars available in this price range left handed.

I guess it depends on your financial situation and commitment as to whether this approach would be right for you.

Sometimes the will to learn and the will to continue are based in the instrument itself, rather than the player. A good guitar can inspire, a bad one is a huge turn off.