Poll: Water Fines: good or bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Water Fines: good or bad?
Yeah
21 64%
Nah
1 3%
I take 30 min. showers cause I hate the environment
11 33%
Voters: 33.
Page 1 of 2
For those of you that don't know, California has been experiencing a drought lately, supposedly the worst drought since the 70's; rural farming areas like Fresno and it's surrounding counties have really been experiencing the brunt of it.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/07/14/4024977/proposal-would-fine-california.html

California water regulators voted Tuesday to approve fines up to $500 a day for residents who waste water on lawns, landscaping and car washing, as a report showed that consumption throughout the state has actually risen amid the worst drought in nearly four decades.

The fines will apply only to wasteful outdoor watering, including washing a vehicle without a nozzle on the hose or hosing down hard surfaces such as sidewalks and driveways.

Pit, how do you feel about these fines? Do you think they're necessary and will help keep water usage down in some way? Or do you think they're just absolutely ridiculous? I'm still pretty neutral about it since I don't know much, I would just like to know where the fine money would end up going.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
But it's right next to the ****ing ocean.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It is bad to waste water because you may not have water if you waste it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Trowzaa
But it's right next to the ****ing ocean.

Saltwater =/= drinkable water
500 max is really high but I completely understand the purpose of it and can't think of anything to say against it.

^ yes, and it has to be desalinated to be used on crops, as well.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I remember this in Australia, we followed them and got on with our lives, waited and ended up not needing them anymore.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I hate these little incompatibilities. CA has such awesome driving roads. Yet you can't wash your car.

Meanwhile Mid-Atlantic area sucks ass for driving, but my car always looks spankin new because I'm helping out with the flood mitigation effort

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I hate these little incompatibilities. CA has such awesome driving roads. Yet you can't wash your car.

Meanwhile Mid-Atlantic area sucks ass for driving, but my car always looks spankin new because I'm helping out with the flood mitigation effort

But you can wash your car just don't do it without a spray nozzle for your hose.
Quote by TheChaz
But you can wash your car just don't do it without a spray nozzle for your hose.

That's weird.

How else are you supposed to wash your car?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Tax payers are the ones who are paying for the water, they should be the ones who get to decide if there's a fine for wasting it.

I don't think water regulators are representatives of the population.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's weird.

That's what I was thinking

the specifications for these laws just seem a little odd to me
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's weird.

Apparently just with an open ended hose.

Quote by Skynyrd890
Tax payers are the ones who are paying for the water, they should be the ones who get to decide if there's a fine for wasting it.

I don't think water regulators are representatives of the population.

This is a great idea for when there's not a massive drought.
Quote by TheChaz
This is a great idea for when there's not a massive drought.

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet idea for that too I suppose.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by TheChaz
Apparently just with an open ended hose.

That's stupid. Nobody does that.

Welp, looks like I'm still movin to LA

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's stupid. Nobody does that.

Welp, looks like I'm still movin to LA

Here we do it with buckets.

I wish they had water fines here, actually. Our water is imported from a country that hates us. But everything looks green and pretty outside because it rains so much so no one really thinks about what would happen if they suddenly cut us off.
cat
water is good and delicious and useful and we shouldnt waste it ! ! !

edit: washing your car is a total waste

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Jul 16, 2014,
The fine is high, but that's kinda the point of a fine.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Wormholes
So why don't they do this when people use fossil fuels?

How else would I be able to drive my gas guzzling truck?

That idea would be difficult to enforce anyways.
It's rather environmentally and economically sound if you wash your car on a lawn. That way, the runoff wouldn't carry pollutants such as oil and garbage into storm drains and eventually the ocean.

The fines seem like a scare tactic. People still do what they always do.

What kills me about local water agencies are their own facilities. So many of these facilities are flushed with palm trees. The issue with palm trees is that they suck up so much water and provide the tiniest amount of shade. Yet, it's part of the California scene, unfortunately.

Additionally, driving round these facilities and other residencies at 10 at night or 5 am, you'll notice where most water is wasted. Sprinklers are hitting about 20% of the lawn and the rest is going into the streets.

These regulators should focus elsewhere.
This is why I don't live in a state that was founded on GOLD as their prominent natural resource.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Americans "the government is trying to control my life? **** that shit"

Is it so bad to not wash your car for a while? I once saw the numbers for average water use for an American in and around their house. It was much much much higher than the ones from any other nation. Even in your driest areas it was waaaay too high.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Ha, the government of California ought to know a thing or two about waste. Too bad the squandering of tax dollars isn't as abhorred.
"The government misuses the water themselves, why would I need to preserve it" some American.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
"The government...I can do what I want" some American.

Trust me Neo, the stupidity goes further than you think.
How about you use your fancy guns and bring down the government then? Stop with the waterfines!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I keep reading the title as "Water Wrestling Fights in California" and wondering wtf is going on in Califronia
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Mr. Neo Evil, if your comment was a response to me, I wasn't making a stance on the fine. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of a government hundreds of billions in debt reprimanding it's citizens for the overuse of finite resources.

If it wasn't then never mind.
Quote by Neo Evil11
How about you use your fancy guns and bring down the government then? Stop with the waterfines!

Right! And **** with that communist government trying to provide me with quality healthcare without imposing taxes on me unless I was so stupid as to think my entry-level manufacturing job would provide for me, my wife and 4 children all my life and through retirement as the retirement age and average living age rises meteorically.

Point is that conservative voters are dummies.
Quote by Baby Joel
I keep reading the title as "Water Wrestling Fights in California" and wondering wtf is going on in Califronia

It's like mud wrestling except cleaner, sexier, and a shitton more violent :3
Quote by snipelfritz
Right! And **** with that communist government trying to provide me with quality healthcare without imposing taxes on me unless I was so stupid as to think my entry-level manufacturing job would provide for me, my wife and 4 children all my life and through retirement as the retirement age and average living age rises meteorically.

Point is that conservative voters are dummies.

The two party system is just crap. You can't reduce your stance on the entire spectrum of issues to a binary vote.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Rossenrot
Mr. Neo Evil, if your comment was a response to me, I wasn't making a stance on the fine. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of a government hundreds of billions in debt reprimanding it's citizens for the overuse of finite resources.

If it wasn't then never mind.

Hey, you know what helps a state? When they go from a negative budget balance to a positive!!! Oh wait, that actually doesn't make any difference at all...

In fact, some states sacrifice their future economic well being for going in the black for just a few years now while not producing jobs or GDP surplus that would actually help. In fact the people who promise to manage taxpayer dollars just funnel money to the people who helped them get elected though an agency "intended" to create jobs in the state.

#walker2014 #imbeingsarcasticright
Quote by Neo Evil11
The two party system is just crap. You can't reduce your stance on the entire spectrum of issues to a binary vote.

**** man, you're Dutch. Do you know what a private health care system is like? It ****ing sucks. You'd have to be clinically ******ed to voluntarily be in favor of that.

Of course you'd just end up in debt for the treatment of your ******ation anyway.
Quote by snipelfritz
**** man, you're Dutch. Do you know what a private health care system is like? It ****ing sucks. You'd have to be clinically ******ed to voluntarily be in favor of that.

Of course you'd just end up in debt for the treatment of your ******ation anyway.

Wut. I never said I was in favor of a private healthcare system. Although I am privately insured myself.just gives more options than our government insurance.

My point was that when you vote for your government. You don't specifically vote for the healthcare systemc but also for a million other issues. I don't think whether you infer much from a vote for the democratic or republican party what you stance is on a specific issue.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by snipelfritz

so many asterisks in this post
banned
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wut. I never said I was in favor of a private healthcare system. Although I am privately insured myself.just gives more options than our government insurance.

My point was that when you vote for your government. You don't specifically vote for the healthcare systemc but also for a million other issues. I don't think whether you infer much from a vote for the democratic or republican party what you stance is on a specific issue.

Oh, I am definitely driving discussion to what is in my mind at the moment. and that's not entirely appropriate. However, I stand by what I said. But i won't pursue it further because that's not what this thread is about.
Page 1 of 2