need help with my Fender hot rod deluxe 3. with the volume on 1-3 the clean tone sounds clean, crisp, amazing but when i crank it for auditions is sounds muddy and unpleasant. playing at a gig id mic up and be fine but I'm not gonna play any gigs if i can't show out at an audition. anything i can do to help my situation? new speaker? larger speaker? pedal? new amp? amp not worthy?

OD sound amazing cracked up. except the egg frying in the background
Have you tried turning the preamp down and master up? Also, I think having at least one od pedal is a good thing.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
its a 3 channel amp. clean, od and more od. don't really use the amp od i use a JHS sweet tea od.
sooooo there is 1 volume knob for clean section.

do i maybe need to bias the amp?
My hot rod deville sounds great at many volume levels, but I didn't think so for the first year or so. You just gotta' turn knobs and then turn them some more, and then turn more. Seriously, it takes time to find the perfect tone. Just keep experimenting, and try to eq it at your intended playing volumes. Don't forget your guitar tone and volume knobs my guitar knobs have massive effect on my tone. I eq my amp with my Les Paul and my strat on the bridge pickup with the tone and volume turned all the way up. Then, when I play, I get tons of sound options that are pleasant to my ears using the guitar knobs. I always change the amp settings when I change guitars, but that's just me. You got a great amp. Just keep tweaking.
Thats just what Hot Rods do. Are your sure its not loud enough on 3, cos ive gigged with it at lower volumes than that.
Maybe there is something wrong with your amp. Turn it up just to the sweet spot and no further if you want pristine clean. I gigged with one for 5 years and usually set the volume about "4" and adjusted the guitar volume control for the sound I wanted and it was WAY plenty loud. It would go from squeaky clean to on-the-edge-of-breakup nicely. Adding an OD pedal in front adds another stage of gain for higher octane stuff.

A HRD with volume set to 4 is pretty damn loud clean tones. Amps are just tools and every tool is a little different. Learn to use your chosen tool well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 16, 2014,
If you have high output pickups you could try plugging into input #2 and see if that helps clean it up.
If you turn the master to full and use the pre to set volume, I can't imagine you couldn't get too loud for most settings. I think you just need to experiment and learn how you have to set your controls and volumes during a band setting vs practicing alone. Its very different when you ware playing with a band, you need less bass than normal, and if your are playing gain stuff which it sounds like that isn't the case here, you need much less gain when in a band setting.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by jon_six
you gigged with the 40w hot rod deluxe 3. or the larger deville?

Me??? Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12. I believe it was a 1st generation. Loud as hell cranked up.

Hot tip: The Deluxe and DeVille have exactly the same amp that produces 40w at 8 ohms and 60w at 4 ohms. Need to move more air and get louder with a Deluxe? Add an extension speaker. Now you have a 60w 2x12 rig. I never needed to do this as the HR Deluxe stands on it's own just fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Paraphrasing from answer to your thread in Customizing ..

Your power tubes are probably distorting under the extra drive and could also be on the way out so new tubes can't hurt. JJ 6L6's offer great headroom for the price.

The other option is an extension cab. I'm pretty sure these amps accommodate that. Spreading the load across two speakers will give you a bigger sound for less juice, which means more control of your tone. We're not even talking higher volume necessarily - just the extra projection and coverage available with a second cab will make you much more audible than a single at the same levels.

No pedal's gonna help if you're essentially trying to increase your clean volume through a clipping amp. A larger speaker will make things worse. A different 12" speaker may help you cut through better but now we're talking changing your tone, and I'm guessing you don't want that.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
To me it sounds like your power tubes are dying. 3 on that amp should easily be enough to keep up with a drummer, and it should not be dirty.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My HRD doesn't get much louder past 4, it only adds more gain. Something might be up with your amp. You will NOT get clean tones fully cranked, that's for certain.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
I can barely turn my hrdeville up to four without my ears bleading. New tubes don't cost that much and these amps are easy to bias. I would try tubes, also.