So, based on the little bit of research I've done, it is a fool's goal... But nothin' wrong with playing the fool from time to time.

My gear, as of right now-

Ltd EC-1000 Deluxe with EMG 81/60s
Spider IV 15
AmPlug Metal

Good guitar, shite amps.

I wanna learn to play Nightwish's song Amaranth since it seems very easy, totally in my possibilities of playing... But as of right now the tone is so far off that it takes the pleasure out of it sorta... Does that make sense? Feels like I mies well be using Behemoth's tone for Pink Floyd.

Fiddled with it for the past hour or so and have been able to get closer to what I want but not at all nailing it. Any advice on how to get as close as can be? Or is the amp just absolutely not appropriate? Also, any suggestions on metal bands whose tone could be matched (relatively speaking of course, won't be getting too close with this amp) with my current setup?

Sorry if this is a stupid or silly question!

Thanks
I'm just looking for ballpark. As of right now, it fulfills what I need it to do, make sound when I bang my guitar. Once I can string together something pleasant and recognizable I'll probably look at stepping up on the amp. 'Till then, it's desperately looking for ballpark tones and saving up money.

Thanks for the link!
Quote by JakeFrmStatFarm
I'm just looking for ballpark. As of right now, it fulfills what I need it to do, make sound when I bang my guitar. Once I can string together something pleasant and recognizable I'll probably look at stepping up on the amp. 'Till then, it's desperately looking for ballpark tones and saving up money.

Thanks for the link!

dude I know you've been told this before. the bleacher section of the ballpark is all you can expect from that amp period. low end practice amps just aren't gonna nail any tone. you've already spent time trying and that is the only suggestion.
Don't Nightwish use Duel Recs?

No way will you get that with a Spyder, but you can get something out of it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Get a Mini Recto.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If sweet guitar tone is the goal, spidey's got to go. But you already knew this. I get hives now just turning one on for a teen guitar club session. Sweep floors, wash cars, paint fences... buy a real amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
burn the spider, buy a peavey vypyr tube 60. for like $250 used. and use the recto setting ive jammed nemo plenty of times.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Solid recommendation. A Vyper Tube would do the deed ok.

I'd still go for a Mini Rec if he can find one within budget but the Vyper Tube would be a pretty cool second choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try using "Metal" channel, back off the gain, and use less treble. It's been awhile since I even plugged in my Spider though.
Quote by Cathbard
Solid recommendation. A Vyper Tube would do the deed ok.

I'd still go for a Mini Rec if he can find one within budget but the Vyper Tube would be a pretty cool second choice.

how much are those mini recs running for?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Not sure. Here, a metric shitload.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They are still a pretty penny in the US. Honestly, would rec a vypyr Tube 60 for under 300. Above 300 there are some good amps under 500 if you want a specific sound but the tube vypyr does so much for the price that even with my mesa roadster, I still want one for a practice amp to leave my mesa at practice spaces that are secure and insured lol. Its the only modeling amp outside of the flexwave I would even suggest and it destroys the flexwave for those tones.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Honestly haven't even seen a mini rec used, however going by the vast amount of dual recs out there going for 7-900 bucks and the mini being so new I don't see you saving much or any going used. If that's out of budget a F series mesa will give you a recto-ish sound at around $500 or so. Still the F series is a very good amp so I would highly suggest it if you can't get the dual and cab.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The Recto (and Diezel) channels on the Vypyr 60 are insane. It is such a full juicy tight tone. Diezel on green mode (clean) has a nice mid gain crunch to it.

I have a lot of fun playing my Splawn and Rectoverb but these little Vypyrs are just balls out fun to play.

I got mine for $315 years ago but you can find them in the sub $250 space. Do it.
I've even seen them right at and a bit below the $200 mark. So much of and underrated amp, I am hoping to get one soon as I get my pedal board and power supply before people catch on and the prices go up.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent