I move to and from university and it would just be easier if I sold my amp and bought a pod interface and took that with me instead. I was wondering if any of you guys did that, because I don't know if it's a good idea or not.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
What do you even need an amp for other than annoying people. get a POD.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Through headphones I find it sounds pretty appalling to be honest, although through a little amp it sounds incredible for such a cheap interface - I've been using a Pod 2.0 and the amp that came with a starter pack electric guitar for 6 years now I think and I still love tweaking around with shit.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Yeah I do that. I sold both my amps years ago, and my family doesn't mind not having to listen to me practice the same song a million times over any more. I've got a Pod Studio UX1 that I run into my computer and monitor with headphones. You really need some decent headphones up in the $100 price range to get an accurate sound - those cheap ones add way too much bass and their midrange detail is horribly lacking.

But yeah it works great. I guess Pod Farm isn't the greatest amp sim software in the world, but I'm not the greatest player in the world either and I'm very happy with the variety of sounds I get out of it. Of course it takes some fooling around with it to create sounds you're happy with, but over time I've come up with a large variety of stuff I like a lot.
Quote by K'Nuckles
Yeah, I've got a HD500 and it's great. I have an amp too (bloody loud) but they both get a lot of play time. Are you gonna get some monitors to play through? It sounds a bit shit through headphones.

well i'm selling my current equipment for about £140 total if it all sells. that means i should be able to afford a POD interface and a pretty average monitor, right? if not, a POD interface and some really f*cking good headphones.
I have a UX1 that I use with my PC running PODFarm, along with some damn good headphones.

I think it sounds better than my amp anyway, so I play pretty much exclusively through it nowadays. It also makes recording guitar and bass parts really easy.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by gtc83
Yeah I do that. I sold both my amps years ago, and my family doesn't mind not having to listen to me practice the same song a million times over any more. I've got a Pod Studio UX1 that I run into my computer and monitor with headphones. You really need some decent headphones up in the $100 price range to get an accurate sound - those cheap ones add way too much bass and their midrange detail is horribly lacking.

But yeah it works great. I guess Pod Farm isn't the greatest amp sim software in the world, but I'm not the greatest player in the world either and I'm very happy with the variety of sounds I get out of it. Of course it takes some fooling around with it to create sounds you're happy with, but over time I've come up with a large variety of stuff I like a lot.

Actually, the Pod Studio is a completely different beast than the normal Pod. Its an audio interface for computers, while the Pod is an amp and effects simulator on its own. So if you want to run amp sims on your computer, you can get any audio interface you want.

Also, 140 pounds doesnt sound enough for a decent setup.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Actually, the Pod Studio is a completely different beast than the normal Pod. Its an audio interface for computers, while the Pod is an amp and effects simulator on its own. So if you want to run amp sims on your computer, you can get any audio interface you want.

Also, 140 pounds doesnt sound enough for a decent setup.

why not? from the looks of it on ebay, i can easily snag a POD interface by an auction for about £50. a £90 monitor doesn't sound too bad at all.
Well i guess you can do that. I was looking at normal Pods on thomann, and the Pod 2 costs 140 on its own. The PodHD costs more than 300. I don't think you should go cheap on hardware like this, since cheaper models will give you bad tone. Sure, some clips online sound awesome, but thats after mixing and mastering. I personaly use Amplitube3 for recording and while it sounds pretty good in the mix, its not that impressive with just straight up playing. I prefer my amp for that. It also "feels" different somehow. The only thing that actually felt and sounded like i was playing the real thing was the PodHD. But it could be that im just to nitpicky.

Anyway, if you get the interface, be sure to try out some other software other than Pod farm. There are loads of free amp sims online, and some great payable ones. Just look in the recording forum on here, they have a sticky on this stuff.

EDIT: oh yeah, i forgot, for most of the free amp sims you will need some sort of daw that supports VST plugins, while most of the retail ones can be standalone. Its all there in the recording forum.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Jul 16, 2014,
Quote by gorkyporky
Well i guess you can do that. I was looking at normal Pods on thomann, and the Pod 2 costs 140 on its own. The PodHD costs more than 300. I don't think you should go cheap on hardware like this, since cheaper models will give you bad tone. Sure, some clips online sound awesome, but thats after mixing and mastering. I personaly use Amplitube3 for recording and while it sounds pretty good in the mix, its not that impressive with just straight up playing. I prefer my amp for that. It also "feels" different somehow. The only thing that actually felt and sounded like i was playing the real thing was the PodHD. But it could be that im just to nitpicky.

Anyway, if you get the interface, be sure to try out some other software other than Pod farm. There are loads of free amp sims online, and some great payable ones. Just look in the recording forum on here, they have a sticky on this stuff.

EDIT: oh yeah, i forgot, for most of the free amp sims you will need some sort of daw that supports VST plugins, while most of the retail ones can be standalone. Its all there in the recording forum.

Yeah, I had the cheapest Line interface (not the UX1, the gen below that) for a bit but it broke. I used to use Reaper because it's free and simple, and I would also use Amplitube. I sometimes switched to Guitar Rig but I wasn't a big fan, it seemed really tacky and too many features and preamps left me feeling like a child in a candystore for hours and coming out with nothing. So I started getting free sims, which were all fantastic. Can't wait to use them again.

The one issue here, like you said, is money. Also, I think I might regret selling my Cube 40xl, even though it's a shabby practice amp, interfaces are a bit of a hassle wheras amps are simple. Plug in and you're good.

It's worth a try though. They seem to have good resale value so I can go back on my choice if I decided it wasn't wise.
Oh, well then you know how it goes. In your place, i would personaly try one of the normal Pods, just to see what they are like, since you already used the intefrace thing. And if youre going with the inteface, you could get something other than a Line6, maybe a Focusrite Scarlett, since i've been hearing loads of good stuff about those. I think even Misha from Periphery uses them to record guitars.
Quote by gorkyporky
Oh, well then you know how it goes. In your place, i would personaly try one of the normal Pods, just to see what they are like, since you already used the intefrace thing. And if youre going with the inteface, you could get something other than a Line6, maybe a Focusrite Scarlett, since i've been hearing loads of good stuff about those. I think even Misha from Periphery uses them to record guitars.

hm, that sounds pretty amazing. all i have are soundmagic e10 earphones to project it through though. if i spend £119 on an amazing interface (which i'm very happy to do) then do you think it'll be worth it if i have to hear it through earphones?
Yeah I've been using a Pod (X3) for 3 years. Excellent, reliable, versatile and quick to set up almost any tone you want to play with (though the learning curve is a bit more steep than with a basic tube amp).

For my first year with it, I used a pair of quite low end Audio Technica headphones. Only started using monitors because having the phones squeeze your head for a few hours gets painful.
Last edited by Jyrgen at Jul 16, 2014,
Quote by laid-to-waste
hm, that sounds pretty amazing. all i have are soundmagic e10 earphones to project it through though. if i spend £119 on an amazing interface (which i'm very happy to do) then do you think it'll be worth it if i have to hear it through earphones?

Honestly, i dont know. I never use headphones. I think you should just spend a bit more and get a cheap pair of monitors, or buy them after you have saved up and use the headphones until then. Like i said, i think you have a pretty low budget. And if you are considering the Scarlett, check out for the diferences between 2i2 and 2i4, i think that the 2i4 is way better, but im not sure. The recording forums would know probably.
Quote by gorkyporky
Honestly, i dont know. I never use headphones. I think you should just spend a bit more and get a cheap pair of monitors, or buy them after you have saved up and use the headphones until then. Like i said, i think you have a pretty low budget. And if you are considering the Scarlett, check out for the diferences between 2i2 and 2i4, i think that the 2i4 is way better, but im not sure. The recording forums would know probably.

thanks, you've helped a ton. i think i'm going to get a 2i2 or 2i4 and wait til my money comes in from studentfinance in september then get some juicy monitors whilst i'm at uni. thanks again
Awww, now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside
A used pod 2.0 or xl or whatever should fall in your budget. Use the rest for headphones
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
If you want your guitar to sound like butt, go for it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA