Page 1 of 3
So, come October, Thor is being reimagined as a female character.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28321806

My initial reaction to this was that maybe it was a sign that the comic industry was finally ready to begin treating females as a valid audience for their product, and not just something to be treated as source material for pandering to teenage boys.

It started well enough, with writer Jason Aaron saying "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."

However, I then saw the design for the new Thor. Top heavy blonde bombshell type? You better believe it!

Feels like a bit of a swing and a miss for me - here was a real opportunity to finally portray female comic book characters in a strong, positive light. But what we get is more misogyny.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Thor has always been blond(e), so the choice of a blonde actress seems legit.

Would she be the Godess of Thunder?

It was a shame the 2011 Thor movie sucked.
Hey look, they're hoping to sell more to teenage boys by taking something popular and putting tits on.
What an innovative marketing strategy!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think Marvel can just go hang.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Hey look, they're hoping to sell more to teenage boys by taking something popular and putting tits on.
What an innovative marketing strategy!

This isn't like that at all, given that all the teenaged boys you're claiming this is a 'marketing move' for are throwing tantrums.
Quote by BelowTheSun
This isn't like that at all, given that all the teenaged boys you're claiming this is a 'marketing move' for are throwing tantrums.
Yes, because marketing departments are flawless and never make a mistake.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Do you seriously think that Marvel don't know their audience well enough to have known that fanboys would get their fedoras in a twist? This isn't for them. Sure, it's getting a lot of press and it's undeniably 'good marketing' for Marvel, given that this book is going to sell a shit tonne of copies, but why does that mean it can't be a good thing for the female readership too?
It's a lot more reserved than female comic heroes usually are. Top heavy maybe, but covered pretty well.
Assuming we're looking at the same image, all that's really exposed is the (quite muscular, manly) arms, same as male Thor.

I mean, being blonde and athletic/muscular is pretty much dictated by the character. Sure, she's still attractive, but so are essentially all comic goodies, male or female.
Quote by BelowTheSun
Do you seriously think that Marvel don't know their audience well enough to have known that fanboys would get their fedoras in a twist? This isn't for them. Sure, it's getting a lot of press and it's undeniably 'good marketing' for Marvel, given that this book is going to sell a shit tonne of copies, but why does that mean it can't be a good thing for the female readership too?

How exactly is taking off the beard and adding tits a good thing for female readers?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Girls are getting into comics but they prefer the independent stuff that isn't filled to the brim with the same old derpy superhero tropes. You can see it most notably in the work female artists are putting out that Marvel wouldn't touch.

but marvel/dc stuff has always been a bit of a juvenile guilty pleasure thing when you're over 16. female thor is just a lazy way to draw in girls who know of thor from the movies, rather than create a more female friendly character series.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by slapsymcdougal
How exactly is taking off the beard and adding tits a good thing for female readers?

I can't even be bothered to argue if that's what you're thinking.
Quote by BelowTheSun
I can't even be bothered to argue if that's what you're thinking.

Based off the article linked, that is precisely everything that's been done.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by theguitarist
Girls are getting into comics but they prefer the independent stuff that isn't filled to the brim with the same old derpy superhero tropes. You can see it most notably in the work female artists are putting out that Marvel wouldn't touch.

This is an interesting thought.

People complain that comics aren't suited enough to female readers, but then focus exclusively on genres that are very much masculine fantasies (powerful superheroes). Rather than trying to tone down an inherently OTT masculine genre by writing in female superheroes, maybe comic fans should recognise that ALL POWERFUL WALL SMASHING SUPERHUMAN isn't the only possible topic for comics?
Quote by MadClownDisease

People complain that comics aren't suited enough to female readers, but then focus exclusively on genres that are very much masculine fantasies (powerful superheroes). Rather than trying to tone down an inherently OTT masculine genre by writing in female superheroes, maybe comic fans should recognise that ALL POWERFUL WALL SMASHING SUPERHUMAN isn't the only possible topic for comics?

+1
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by MadClownDisease

yeah, especially with webcomics it seems half the artists out there are female, and a lot of them have been moving to printed stuff in anthologies and graphic novels. Since it's become easy to self-print or raise publishing funds through kickstarter and stuff, they aren't stuck having to change themselves to what marvel and such want to become 'professionals'
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Don't really care about Thor, won't really care about Thor as a female. Unless it's regular Thor's consciousness and he's been put into a female body like some kind of Freaky Friday-esque situation. Then it might be worth a read for a laugh.

It seems like a thing made to sell a bunch of issues which is what comics have been doing since comics so it's fine. Hard thing to get riled up about either way.
I'd mjol her nir, ay
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by MadClownDisease
It's a lot more reserved than female comic heroes usually are. Top heavy maybe, but covered pretty well.

No, dude. Just no. That girl has boobs.

If that's not offensive to women I don't know what is.
Wubba lubba dub dub!
Yeah I like it. I don't think it's a sexual pose. I like the color style. Where are all the female comic book writers doe
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah I like it. I don't think it's a sexual pose. I like the color style. Where are all the female comic book writers doe

They're all outside of Marvel, as I understand it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

some random names of writers/artists from my comics list:

Kate Beaton
Giséle Lagacé
Kory Bing
Kate Ashwin
Mary Cagle
Yuko Ota
Becky Dreistadt
Carla Speed McNeil
Jill Thompson
Fiona Staples
Barbara Kesel
Wendy Pini
Madeleine Flores
Alison Bechdel
Sophie Goldstein
Lynn Varley
Teri Sue Wood
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by MadClownDisease

There are superhero comics that aren't OTT masculine fantasies. Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, The Movement before it was cancelled, Captain Marvel, the Black Widow ongoing, probably others that I'm forgetting. Notice that only one of them is a DC book, and that one was cancelled. There are a few, but still not enough. All of them are enjoying a huge groundswell of support though, and the Thor news is hopefully a sign that the industry is gonna start changing a bit.
Eh. This was probably done on purpose. Which irritates me about this whole subject. People want women in games and movies and everything more. And people have been doing it, but it's like things won't be okay until women are in 90% of everything to "get even". Which means things like this will happen, they will just throw a female character in the mix. Instead of maybe writing a character into something, and they just happen to be female. Not write a whole story around the fact that it needs to be about a female.

As far as her being a typical big breasted blonde, eh. Isn't Thor a God or the son of one or something? Well, characters like that sort of have to be the stereotypical larger than life perfect specimen. Thor was (im guessing) originally imagined as this strong, muscular male. So it only makes sense for him(or her whatever) to be a representation of that. I mean it's thor, no one really wants to him end up being a peter parker person next door character.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jul 16, 2014,
Yeah, I don't think adding tits (or at least re-shaping the tits that were arguably already there) is going to make a superhero more relatable. Seems more like a marketing stunt > "Let's add tits so girls will like it too!".

To be fair, we're talking about a (literal) god here. Might not be the perfect subject for male/female role model discussion. I do agree that the "me Tarzan, you tits"-thing is getting a bit tedious and there should be more relatable characters for pretty much everyone, be it white/black/asian/hispanic boys, girls or transsexuals or whatever...

One the one hand this probably has to do with what people want to see/buy. On the other hand you could sell pretty much everything with a little effort, so it all just depends on who wants to make some changes or promote what's already out there and is getting ignored now.
Quote by theguitarist

Teri Sue Wood

Heh, wood.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Heh, wood.

Boioioioioioioinnnngggggg!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Haha, straight up genderbending an established character kinda seems like a silly way of doing "this", and this definitely looks like an attempt at doing "this."

Truly though I have no strong feelings on the matter.
My God, it's full of stars!
Thor is a muscular attractive person. This version of Thor is also a muscular attractive person. Claiming misogyny in the character design makes you look like a dummy imo
Quote by Dreadnought
Haha, straight up genderbending an established character kinda seems like a silly way of doing "this", and this definitely looks like an attempt at doing "this."

Truly though I have no strong feelings on the matter.

Genderbender is the next super villain. His name sake power is to turn men into women. Without men in the world, who will do all the important jobs?!

The glass ceiling has never been lower
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Genderbender is the next super villain. His name sake power is to turn men into women. Without men in the world, who will do all the important jobs?!

The glass ceiling has never been lower

Surely the real implication of turning men into women is that there would be a few days where all the newly boobified men would stay in touching themselves.
Quote by Diemon Dave
That would pass. I imagine it's much like getting a swimming pool. It's really cool for a year, two if you're lucky. But then it pisses you off that you have to mow around it and how expensive maintenance chemicals are.

I hope you get my point because I don't.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Cis shitlords gonna be so salty. Good for Thor.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Can we have content in media that's not a reboot or remaining of something for a while?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by metacarpi

However, I then saw the design for the new Thor. Top heavy blonde bombshell type? You better believe it!

Normally I would find that misogynistic as well, but Thor is pretty much the gender-swapped version of precisely that. I mean, c'mon. Look at Chris Hemsworth.

Edit: I also agree with this:
Quote by JustRooster
Can we have content in media that's not a reboot or remaining of something for a while?

Marvel and DC very obviously ran out of new ideas decades ago.
I don't read comics so I really don't care unless they make it into another Marvel movie.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by metacarpi

Feels like a bit of a swing and a miss for me - here was a real opportunity to finally portray female comic book characters in a strong, positive light. But what we get is more misogyny.

She is wearing the exact same armour as male Thor. Yes, she has boobs under the armour. Dunno if you've noticed, but it's quite common for women to have boobs under their clothing. All they did was adapted Thor's armour to fit over them. It's not like they went "Let's give her huge breasts and a suit that can barely contain them." Unlike a certain other comic publisher.

Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Page 1 of 3