Hi, I was interested in peoples thoughts on the Gretsch G5022CWFE Rancher Falcon 6 string. I am after a not too expencive guitar. I am no pro but I also dont want total crap. I havent heard alot about Gretsch acoustic guitars.

I know I think this things looks amazing and is in my price range

I wouldn't normally reply since I haven't heard any Gretsches, but since you are interested in what people think about the looks of the guitar . . .

I think it looks awful (sorry).

Also, being a non-Martin laminated back and sides guitar, I wouldn't expect any goosebumps if I heard it.

There are much better guitar in that price range, imho.
Quote by gogonias
but since you are interested in what people think about the looks of the guitar . . .

There are much better guitar in that price range, imho.

I dont think I said that.

What are some better options?
I like it in red.

There is a certain tackiness the the Gretsch look. I expect you'll get wildly polar opposite opinions about their styling.

I'm not a big fan of pure white, and Gretsch is notorious for it with their, "White Falcon", and, "White Penguin" electrics.

I like the look of the "Rancher", but as I said I like the bright red version. Believe it or not, the red one seems "understated" to me, as compared to the white one you're showing.

I think the novelty of white would wear off and grow tiresome very quickly.

Dunno how the guitar sounds. But, its a jumbo, with a solid top. That said, that type of instrument usually projects very well, with a nice, tight bass. In the bottom end department, IMHO, jumbos have at leas as much bass as a dread, but it's a lot tighter.

I'll make the same suggestion as I made to another member, and that was to audition the Epiphone EJ-200CE also. It's in the same ballpark price wise.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 16, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I like it in red.

There is a certain tackiness the the Gretsch look. I expect you'll get wildly polar opposite opinions about their styling.

I'm not a big fan of pure white, and Gretsch is notorious for it with their, "White Falcon", and, "White Penguin" electrics.

I like the look of the "Rancher", but as I said I like the bright red version. Believe it or not, the red one seems "understated" to me, as compared to the white one you're showing.

I think the novelty of white would wear off and grow tiresome very quickly.

Dunno how the guitar sounds. But, its a jumbo, with a solid top. That said, that type of instrument usually projects very well, with a nice, tight bass. In the bottom end department, IMHO, jumbos have at leas as much bass as a dread, but it's a lot tighter.

I'll make the same suggestion as I made to another member, and that was to audition the Epiphone EJ-200CE also. It's in the same ballpark price wise.

I second every word you wrote

The red looks much better to me as well.
The EJ-200CE is a killer guitar (for its price) and about half the price of Gretsch.
The Epi goes for around 350 euros while the Gretsch around 600 I think.
Last edited by gogonias at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by gogonias
I second every word you wrote [/QUOTE} Thanks!

The red looks much better to me as well.
The EJ-200CE is a killer guitar (for its price) and about half the price of Gretsch.
The Epi goes for around 350 euros while the Gretsch around 600 I think.

I don't have an address on our OP. So I don't know which continent to shop the guitar.

The Red Rancher I showed, is the "basic" model, an goes for about a nickel, ($500.00 USD). It's a jumbo solid spruce top, with flame maple laminated B & S. So basically, it's Gretsch's equivalent guitar to the Epi EJ-200CE.

The Rancher can be had from Sweetwater music here in the states: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GrchRNJmb/

The falcon version is a lot more, Plus there's a"Sunset something or other" that looks like a dread, has a Bigsby , and is so far over the top, words fail me!

There's also a Falcon 12 string! http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2714025505

The Epi EJ-200CE goes for about $400.00. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200ce-acoustic-electric-guitar
So, the price difference on the model I suggested isn't quite as severe as the falcon version. But true, it is another hundred bucks.

I like the black Epi or the natural. The thing they're calling "vintage sunburst", I call, "unflushed toilet burst". But anyway, no red.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 17, 2014,