Hey,

I've been really into fuzz pedals lately, and I don't really use the distortion from my amp anymore. As I find this a waste, I would like to have a single channel amp with rich, full clean tones. It would also be nice if it had a built-in reverb. I would pay $850. By the way, I'm not looking for a blues tone, I'm looking for a space/progressive rock kind of sound

Thanks,

Timon
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul 50's > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby Bass Wah > Marshall Shredmaster > Fulltone Octafuzz > TC Alter Ego X4 > Vox AC30
Do you want a combo or a head (and if so, do you already have a cabinet or not)?

New or used?
By the currency, I assume you're in the US?
Do you need to keep up with a drummer regarding volume?

We'd be able to help you better with answers to these questions. This thread is a good read when making suggestion threads also. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

My first thought is something like a silverface Fender (Twin, Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb maybe).
Please forgive me for the lack of information in my question.

I'd like a head, but no I don't have a cabinet yet.
I don't really care whether it's new or used as long as it gives me what I want haha.

And I live in the Netherlands, but everyone on UG talks in USD, so i thought i'd make it easier for you.

I plan to stick with this amp for a while, so I will need to be able to keep up with the drummer's volume.

Thanks for the link, I'll remember it!

Also, the kind of sound I was looking for is this. please skip to 2.41
I know I'll need a bottleneck for this, but it's about the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVMIk3xYaYo
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul 50's > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby Bass Wah > Marshall Shredmaster > Fulltone Octafuzz > TC Alter Ego X4 > Vox AC30
Last edited by Timon 95 at Jul 16, 2014,
Hrd
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Cajundaddy: your signature is right, but still the amp and guitar and effects do matter.

Ippon: Yes I know, and those are wonderfull amps, but those are no single channel amps, and that is what I need as I use fuzz from my pedals, so the distortion channels are in this case "unnecessary".

It's just that I don't want to pay for what I don't use.
Gear:

Sounds like a short delay and some reverb with the mix set a little on the high side. A long, synchronized delay added to that would cover just about all of your typical spacey kind of tones. A slower Flanger or Phaser set to a tasteful level can also add to the sound. Any decent clean tone would do for the foundation. A Blues Junior could do a good low volume approximation. A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville would be louder. A silverface Fender would probably be the best tone option in that price range. The amp spring reverb would work, but something often overlooked but well respected in ambient music is the Boss RV-5 set to the modulated setting. It makes spacey playing sound absolutely huge and expansive, especially on volume swells.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Timon 95
Cajundaddy: your signature is right, but still the amp and guitar and effects do matter.

Ippon: Yes I know, and those are wonderfull amps, but those are no single channel amps, and that is what I need as I use fuzz from my pedals, so the distortion channels are in this case "unnecessary".

that's fair enough, but does it make any more sense buying something which doesn't do the tone you want just because you're "not paying for what you don't use"? It's your call and totally up to you, but I personally wouldn't discount anything for a logically iffy (IMO) reason like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lonestar or an old Fender Twin, the oldest one you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Timon 95

Of course the amp matters. My post above actually is shorthand for Hot Rod Deluxe. Now technically it does have 2 channels but the clean channel is Fender divine and no serious player ever uses the weak OD channel. It is probably still the best value for great Fender clean tone to cover the stuff you want at around $500 used. Half the price of most amps in it's class. Ignore those other knobs as they came for free. You could even put duct tape over them if they distract or annoy you.

Try one, you will like it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Agreed. Without modifications, the HRD is effectively a single channel amp.
I'd still take a Lonestar or an old Twin any day. Don't get hung up on an amp being single channel, what you need is one good clean channel. Just because an amp has a second channel, that doesn't mean you have to use it.
Lately I've been using a 3 channel RM100 as a single channel amp. I just leave it parked on the channel I need. The other two channels don't even have a module I would use. I plug in the one I want and leave it there.
Your question shouldn't be "what single channel amp?" It should be "what amp has a good clean channel for what I do?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My obligatory answer...
Get an AC30.
It has built in reverb and tremolo, and takes pedals very well.
You should be able to find a used one for $850.
If you can, try to get one with Alnico Blue speakers.
Blues Junior.

Amazing with pedals, crystal cleans, mic it up for more volume.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Always use your own currency Timon, just as a tip. 850$ or 850 euros is very different because of the market being vastly different in the Status opposed to the EU. Are we talking 850 euros, or did you actually convert your budget?

I wouldn't focus on only single channel amplifiers. There are enough amplifiers that would do what you want, but have more channels. No harm in only using one, though.

I'm from Belgium myself and know the Dutch market a bit as well, so that's handy.

There is a '66 Bandmaster on Gitaarmarkt, which would be nice, but it's about 800 euros and you'd still need to buy a cabinet. On Marktplaats, I found a '73 Bassman combo (4x 10"), which is a b*tch to move, but sounds great. There's no listing price, but you should be able to get it for 750 maybe. Also, a '78 Twin Reverb for a correct price.

A Vox AC30 is within your budget as well, but I'd rather buy a Fender to run fuzz pedals through, to be honest. If you would decide on an AC30, be sure not to get one of the solid state versions. Vox marketing is a little confusing in that aspect.

There are also a Traynor Custom Valve 40 and Fender Blues Deluxe for sale that would leave you with some cash for something else (like a pedal or something).

An outsider option I'm throwing out there is an Orange OR120 that's for sale voor 800 EUR, with a master volume modification. Might not be exactly what you're after, but it's a great amplifier and that really isn't that much around here. Some ENGL's might do what you want as well and they have good gain channels should you want them in the future.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Hrd

I was gonna recommend the Hot Rod Deluxe. Get the latest model if you can, the HRDiii.

Nice sounding amp and seriously brings the volume

I dare say youd get a used one for about 500 Euros, maybe less
4x10 Bassman combos are worth the effort. Just buy a good trolley to move it around. They're hard to beat for cleans, they're pretty much the benchmark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Timon 95

That's not how it works. You're not paying for what you don't use, you're paying for the best tone you can get. Most of the time the best clean amps have other channels with them. You don't have to use them, and if the cleans are what you want, then it's worth the price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thank you very much. It seems like my mindset was wrong.

The HRD seems really popular here, I will check it out, just like your other recommendations of course!

I K0nijn I: Yes, I did convert my budget in euros to dollars. I'm not that stupid
Gear:

Hey, you never know. =D
The HRD is a solid choice for sure. It'll deliver and leave you with spare cash for another fuzz pedal or something else you'd like. :P
I have an odd answer. Carvin Belair series. EXCELLENT cleans, pretty decent gain channel IF YOU WANT TO YOU USE IT, if not...you don't have to. Takes pedals very well, and a bargain, brand new at about 600 bucks. Check it out and see if you like it OP.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BELAIR
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by Timon 95
Thank you very much. It seems like my mindset was wrong.

I wouldn't say it's absolutely wrong per se- if something were available which did the tone you wanted 100% and was single channel and was a bit cheaper (or the same price but better-built) than a multi-channel amp which also did the tone you wanted 100%, then you could make a pretty good case for not paying for stuff you don't want or need. In that instance, with everything else being equal, absolutely, it's totally logical and rational.

The problem is everything else is rarely equal, so you sort of have to decide on what to compromise on- to me (so this is just my opinion) compromising on the features (at least in this way, i.e. the amp having features you don't need, not the amp not having features which you *do* need, which is a totally different kettle of fish) makes more sense than compromising on the tone you want.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?