Long time reader, first post. I've been looking a lot lately for an OD pedal to add to my small collection (MXR Carbon Copy and Big Muff Pi Nano). I'm looking for a cleanish OD/Boost to help get a singing lead tone, similar to Gilmour, but definitely not limited to just that. Other factors that come into play are price and versatility. Ultimately, I'm looking for something that stacks well with the Muff to get the singing leads, but also does a good job at pushing the amp to get a natural/classic sounding OD tone; all for $150 or less.

I play through a Blackstar HT-1R with a Fender Stratocaster and love to play Alternative, Blues, and Rock. This set-up is great, but the Blackstar's overdrive can be somewhat harsh for what I like.

Quick list of some of the pedals that I've listened to include Soul Food, Spark Booster, Fulldrive 2 MOFSET, and BD-2. Others that seem to get so much attention that I just can't ignore include TS-808, OCD, BB+ Preamp, and the Pork Loin. I wish I could try them all out, but for me that's not practical. Just looking to bounce off ideas and see what people say.
You should consider:

T. Rex MAB Overdrive
Pigtronix FAT Overdrive
Pigtronix FAT Philosopher OD/Comp
Red Witch Scarlett Overdrive
Red Witch Famulus D/OD
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde D/OD
Visual Sound VS-XO Dual Overdrive
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2014,
this is in theory only, but aren't muffs quite scooped? if so, something in the tubescreamer vein might work well with it since they're pretty middy. and they're known to work well as amp boosts (if you don't find them too middy with your amp and guitar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use the DOD 250 2013 reissue. Not sure if its tone is what you're looking for, but it does a very good job at boosting/pushing the amp.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
^ Haha I like that reference.

As for what you named the OCD, Soul Food, and Fulltone 2 are all great overdrive pedals. All are great for stacking and most for standalone od sound, but the Soul Food not as much unless you dial it in just perfectly.
Honestly I would get away from that blackstar, if you could sell it and add your budget in maybe you would have to add a bit more but something like a marshall dsl combo, I think the model is the 401, goes for like $350. I think that would do your tone a bigger favor than adding more pedals to the blackstar.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas and the advice so far. The more and more I hear about OD pedals the more I'm left with my head scratching, haha, but starting to get a better idea of what I want.

I really liked the suggested DOD 250 Preamp, I'll definitely give that one a try. The Timmy sounds good, but seems a little tricky to get one and I wasn't absolutely floored with it. I'll have to give the OCD a shot since everyone loves the dang thing, but I also have to say I'm not too crazy about this one. The Soul Food sounds great, but the more and more I listen to it, I feel as if it might to limited as my only, "go to" OD. However, I have somewhat fallen in love with the Spark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oCA_ui9aQ This video makes the pedal sound so good and seems very versatile. Only grip is that people don't seem to be crazy in love with it as much as some of the other listed pedals and it might not fit my style.

As for me using a Blackstar, I have to say I love it because it's so practical for me at the moment. I got it for $150, new, so it was a steal, and it's only a 1 watt tube amp. For a kid who lives with 3 other roommates and doesn't have all the money in the world, I gotta say it works great for now.
The Timmy is a one trick pony? How so?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My personal favorite pedal to stack with a muff is an Xotic fx AC Booster. Makes for a good sludgy lead tone. The AC stands for almost clean, it'll get pretty crunchy on its own but I guess its not all that versatile. Another od to check out though.

A tubescreamer type pedal stacks well with a muff too, though I prefer the AC for that purpose. But a ts is more versatile.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Cathbard
The Timmy is a one trick pony? How so?

Didn't say it was a one trick pony, just tricky to try out and get since it's not massed produced and available readily.
Oh, sorry. I misread.
Yeah, I guess so - I built my own.
The old Danelectro Transparent Overdrive was a Timmy clone. Maybe look for one of those on ebay.
Tim may be able to build you one, I know he has in the past. I'll summon him for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, sorry. I misread.
Yeah, I guess so - I built my own.
The old Danelectro Transparent Overdrive was a Timmy clone. Maybe look for one of those on ebay.
Tim may be able to build you one, I know he has in the past. I'll summon him for you.

Can I ever! I only really bother with Timmy and Zendrive pedals now as far as overdriven are concerned.

Shoot me an email at tim@toyroomguitareffects.com if you wanna chat about it! Will def be under $150
mojostompboxes.com
Check out the CMAT MODS Signa Drive, it's the best TS-style overdrive pedal I ever tried.

Stacks nicely with my upgraded IC Big Muff clone, and its 3 modes make it very versatile -- there's the regular Tubescreamer mode, a cleaner and louder mode (great for boosting tube amps and increase the volume for solos), and a crunchier and more compressed mode.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
there are some big muffy / david gilmourish type pedals out there.

my recommendation is to take any pedal you see in guitar center and forget it exists. there are so many pedal builders out there for ODs its just silly at this point. lots of good return policies.

take a site like prymaxe vintage and search for 150 or less. pro guitar shop. there are some others.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
there are some big muffy / david gilmourish type pedals out there.

my recommendation is to take any pedal you see in guitar center and forget it exists. there are so many pedal builders out there for ODs its just silly at this point. lots of good return policies.

take a site like prymaxe vintage and search for 150 or less. pro guitar shop. there are some others.

my Signa drive is GREAT for the money. 135 i think anybody would use it. however, i think my ear is becoming too comfy with it and ive been dying for some new toanz lately. i thikn this is a personal problem. good pedal though. not much pizazz or X factor there, its just a really kick butt tubescreamer clone. its secret weapon is the 3 mode switch which basically makes it a TS, a boost, and a more open, less compressed drive.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by j.cleary
However, I have somewhat fallen in love with the Spark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oCA_ui9aQ This video makes the pedal sound so good and seems very versatile. Only grip is that people don't seem to be crazy in love with it as much as some of the other listed pedals and it might not fit my style.

From the schematic on freestompboxes, it appears to be not a million miles off an RC booster (don't quote me on that, that's from memory and also some posts within the thread I found): http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24144&hilit=spark+booster

I've got the cheapo mooer RC booster clone, and while the circuit is a fair bit different, it sounds more or less in the same ballpark (if not exactly identical) to my danelectro timmy clone.

I'm not sure discounting the timmy and then going for the spark booster is that sensible, in other words Granted, it's a little bit different from the RC booster, and also those switches it has may make it a little more versatile, but I'd have said the timmy (based on my danelectro clone, the one cath mentioned) is more versatile than the RC (based on my mooer clone). The RC/Mooer doesn't get a lot of dirt at all, really.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey all, thanks for all of the suggestions, and I appreciate the offer to build a Timmy greeny23! Definitely helpful in terms of realizing what I really am looking for. Timmy, OCD, Fulldrive are all pedals I'll seriously consider in the future, but right now I can't exactly afford them. I thought I could, but reality hit...Now I'm looking towards getting a simple pedal used, and then get a used Phase 90, which was part of the plan all along. That's where the DOD 250 comes in, which I tried and loved!
Quote by Dave_Mc
this is in theory only, but aren't muffs quite scooped? if so, something in the tubescreamer vein might work well with it since they're pretty middy. and they're known to work well as amp boosts (if you don't find them too middy with your amp and guitar).

Aye, the Muff is an extremely scooped pedal and blends well with a TS
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha so if the Screamer is what I should be looking at, which one? TS 808 or TS 9? Or are there other Screamer based pedals that I should look at that are reasonably priced?
T-Rex Crunchy Frog. has separate clean boost function and a tubescreamerish section as well.
Quote by j.cleary
Haha so if the Screamer is what I should be looking at, which one? TS 808 or TS 9? Or are there other Screamer based pedals that I should look at that are reasonably priced?

Digitech Bad Monkey

TS based design, extra tone control, good quality pedal, dirt cheap. Can't go wrong!
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb