Hi, I will be moving to Canada next month and I'm looking to buy new gear once I'm there. Below are the details.

1)LOOKING TO BUY: Amp + guitar[ New or used]

2)BUDGET: 1000 USD approx

3)MUSIC GENRES INTERESTED IN: Rock( Deep purple, Jeff Beck, MSG, Rainbow, Sabbath, ACDC, Scorpions, Queen etc) and some old school heavy metal.

4)GEAR I CURRENTLY OWN: A really shitty used squier and don't even get me started on the amp

5)PLAYING SKILLL: Beginner

6) Will be using this to mainly practise in my apartment and while taking lessons at the studio.

Thank you.
I would guess an HSS strat/superstrat of some description (Fender or not, doesn't much matter as long as it's good quality) since about half the bands you listed there use strats, and half use humbuckers. An HSS superstrat isn't as good as having both a strat and a gibson, but it's a pretty decent "best of both worlds" compromise if you can only have the one guitar.

If you're only practising in your apartment you might not even need an amp, depending on what other stuff (laptop etc.) you have, but I have no experience with non-amp-related noisemaking Or something like a vox mini3, roland microcube etc. would let you spend most of your budget on the guitar to get a really nice one (though if you ever did plan on gigging or whatever later you'd pretty much have to run out to buy a better amp, so bear that in mind if $1000 is all you'll *ever* have to spend on guitar gear).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I would guess an HSS strat/superstrat of some description (Fender or not, doesn't much matter as long as it's good quality) since about half the bands you listed there use strats, and half use humbuckers. An HSS superstrat isn't as good as having both a strat and a gibson, but it's a pretty decent "best of both worlds" compromise if you can only have the one guitar.

If you're only practising in your apartment you might not even need an amp, depending on what other stuff (laptop etc.) you have, but I have no experience with non-amp-related noisemaking Or something like a vox mini3, roland microcube etc. would let you spend most of your budget on the guitar to get a really nice one (though if you ever did plan on gigging or whatever later you'd pretty much have to run out to buy a better amp, so bear that in mind if $1000 is all you'll *ever* have to spend on guitar gear).

Thank you Dave. So, something like the one below and a roland microcube right?
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/standard-stratocaster-hss-plus-top-rosewood-fingerboard-tobacco-sunburst/
Also, How much of a difference would I be able to hear between one with all S-s-S configuration and one with H-s-s configuration? because though I have mention guitarists who play humbucker guitars, it's the tone of the strat guys that always sound beautiful and creamy to me
For an amp I would have to point you toward traynor since they are a marshally tube amp made in Canada. With the left over money I would put toward guitar but since I don't know prices up there I will stay out of that.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
For an amp I would have to point you toward traynor since they are a marshally tube amp made in Canada. With the left over money I would put toward guitar but since I don't know prices up there I will stay out of that.

Actually right now I think tube amp might be too loud for my apartment use and moreover once I start playing in a band I plan on spending the money on decent gig worthy tube amp rather than now where in I would just me and my guitar instructor will be the ones to listen to my playing.
There is a master volume for a reason. Just because it is a tube amp doesn't mean you have to run it at ear drum busting volumes.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Jcm2000 and an HSS ibanez RG
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Shitty Squier? I love those Squier! I gig with a mini squier strat and vintage noiseless pups.

Anyway, Dsl Is a good choice IMO. Or maybe Orange (used). Marshall are more growly while Orange are more screamy. These Traynor are probably worth a shot, but I don't see those often and never heard anyting good about them (never heard anyting bad either ) Those I heard were okay I guess.
Look got a Godin Belmont, Empire, Progression, or even a Redline HB. Good quality, made in Canada.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by bluestratplayer
There is a master volume for a reason. Just because it is a tube amp doesn't mean you have to run it at ear drum busting volumes.

Oh ya actually I know that thanks to the stickies by Dave. What I was thinking is unless I grow as a player and learn what I would need exactly and develop my ear to hear which amp would suit my needs, I don't wanna spend on a tube amp and having to regret it. Once I improve my skill and form a band may be then I would plan on buying something that I can be happy with.
Quote by Taz9
Shitty Squier? I love those Squier! I gig with a mini squier strat and vintage noiseless pups.

Anyway, Dsl Is a good choice IMO. Or maybe Orange (used). Marshall are more growly while Orange are more screamy. These Traynor are probably worth a shot, but I don't see those often and never heard anyting good about them (never heard anyting bad either ) Those I heard were okay I guess.

Try mine. You will renounce everything and go live in the Himalayas
You are in Canada right? Traynor are a Canadian company so outside of Canada you won't get much info on them. think marshall type tones f0r at least the three I've actually played and all the others Ive seen reviews about. The amp is most of your tone so spend 2/3 of budget there or spend all budget on amp and then deal with guitar until you can afford to upgrade.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
You are in Canada right? Traynor are a Canadian company so outside of Canada you won't get much info on them. think marshall type tones f0r at least the three I've actually played and all the others Ive seen reviews about. The amp is most of your tone so spend 2/3 of budget there or spend all budget on amp and then deal with guitar until you can afford to upgrade.

Ya you are right, but like I said my confusion is would I require such an amp at this stage when I am just a beginner? wouldn't it be wise enough to spend it once I form a band and when I'm ready to gig?
Like I said the amp is the bulk of your sound, it would be wise to spend most of your money on the amp to suit your needs first. That is just my opinion but I have don't it both ways and I and most ppl here will tell you, your amp is the start of your tone, then the type of guitar then the pedals. At least that is my experience which has been from years and years of playing live, but the guitar and pedals are all after a good amp
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Your new neighbors may warm to a yankee better if you have a Traynor and played a couple Rush tunes every once in a while.

If you don't like your strat, you should probably try someting else.

If you buy a decent, name brand tube amp, at a decent price, and things don't work out, odds are you can sell it with no loss. (Edit: if you're buying used.) Keep that in mind.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
Your new neighbors may warm to a yankee better if you have a Traynor and played a couple Rush tunes every once in a while.

If you don't like your strat, you should probably try someting else.

If you buy a decent, name brand tube amp, at a decent price, and things don't work out, odds are you can sell it with no loss. (Edit: if you're buying used.) Keep that in mind.

I was thinking some Annihilator or Anvil tunes is what they would love
The Tragically Hip. Play their stuff, make pals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by sundar334
Thank you Dave. So, something like the one below and a roland microcube right?
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/standard-stratocaster-hss-plus-top-rosewood-fingerboard-tobacco-sunburst/
Also, How much of a difference would I be able to hear between one with all S-s-S configuration and one with H-s-s configuration? because though I have mention guitarists who play humbucker guitars, it's the tone of the strat guys that always sound beautiful and creamy to me

Yep that should work for the guitar. You have a lot of options, though, virtually every guitar manufacturer makes an HSS superstrat of some description.

There's a pretty big difference between HSS and SSS, in my opinion anyway. It's really a judgement call, and only you can really make it. We can tell you what the difference is, alongside some rough general advice, but we can't tell you which one to decide on.

It'd be worth checking out which pickup those "strat guys" you mentioned are actually using for those tones you like. "Creamy" suggests the neck pickup (though I could be wrong), and if that's the case, an HSS strat still has the strat neck pickup. The difference is in the bridge pickup alone tone (that's the big difference), and to a lesser extent (but still noticeable), in the bridge + middle position. If all the regular strat tones you like are the neck pickup, for example, the extra versatility afforded by the bridge humbucker might make sense- but if you would like to be able to get regular strat bridge and bridge + middle tones, then SSS might make more sense.

If you think you need both then it's an even harder decision.

Quote by sundar334
Oh ya actually I know that thanks to the stickies by Dave.

Holy crap, people actually read those?

Seriously, though, if you don't want a tube amp now, that's your prerogative. a microcube, mini3 or similar might be the best option in that case for home practice because they're pretty cheap, pretty versatile, and arguably still useful and fun even once you've got a bigger amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about getting a low power, modelling amp, and the HSS strat? You would be pretty much good guitarwise for a long time and you could discover lots of sounds on a modeller, and in the future, when you need a bigger amp for gigs, you already have an idea of diferent amp styles.
How about buying a Line 6 POD and maybe a small (ish) PA wedge? You can still make some noise, it should be a bit more portable, and you don't go whole hog on a tube amp you might not like.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yep that should work for the guitar. You have a lot of options, though, virtually every guitar manufacturer makes an HSS superstrat of some description.

Seriously, though, if you don't want a tube amp now, that's your prerogative. a microcube, mini3 or similar might be the best option in that case for home practice because they're pretty cheap, pretty versatile, and arguably still useful and fun even once you've got a bigger amp.

Thanks, I will try both S-s-S and H-S-S at the store. While I'm at the store I would like to try some of the humbuckers as well. Which ones would you recommend?
Oh wow, there are a lot

Off the top of my head, try the Fenders (they have both SSS and HSS models), G&L, Godin, Yamaha. Does your local store have a link? Or if it's a big chain just mention the name of it. There's no point in my listing brands if your local store doesn't have them
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Oh wow, there are a lot

Off the top of my head, try the Fenders (they have both SSS and HSS models), G&L, Godin, Yamaha. Does your local store have a link? Or if it's a big chain just mention the name of it. There's no point in my listing brands if your local store doesn't have them

http://www.renaissancemusic.ca/
http://www.coolguitars.ca/
http://www.cntrstgmusic.com/
These are the stores that have a good reputation in the town I live.
The Godin Progression should be good.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3789

Maybe the Ibanez.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3638

Not exactly what you're looking at now, but this Hagstrom is 25.5" scale and has a mini toggle for splitting the Humbuckers. Worth looking at.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3873

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 18, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Godin Progression should be good.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3789

Maybe the Ibanez.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3638

Not exactly what you're looking at now, but this Hagstrom is 25.5" scale and has a mini toggle for splitting the Humbuckers. Worth looking at.
http://www.coolguitars.ca/kgs_inv_detail.php?InvID=3873

Thanks, I'm looking for recco on humbuckers now curious as to which one to try at the store. There's so many manufacturers available like G&L, Godin, Hagstorm, Washburn etc

If you're willing to buy online from a reputable dealer, you might consider things like:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-17637.htm
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-18803.htm

thanks

centre stage music seems to have godins, g&l, schecter, washburn and hagstrom. they're all probably worth a look (though whether they have suitable models for what you're looking for, they don't say, as they don't seem to list stock).

renaissance music has fenders

kingston guitar shop seems to have a wide variety including used- hard to say for sure what they'll have at any given time, but they seem to have fender, godin etc. again so those would be worth a try.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?