I am a semi-professional singer songwriter. I play and electric acoustic guitar, and own a decent medium venue pa. I know my sound alone is good because i play about 4 paid gigs a month, and I am comfortable with attention and with working an audience.

I would like to start a 2 person act with acoustic guitar and drums.

My drummer is quite good, and we have played in a band together several years ago. With my connections, I should have no problem getting us gigs to play, and we should have all/most the equipment we need.

But I want to sound good together first. I have to admit that interfacing the sound of drums with just acoustic guitar, whether electronic drums or a real kit, puzzles me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take drums and acoustic guitar and vocals, and mix them to have a tight listenable mix? I know this means much more than just "adding a beat" to the set list I currently have. I am careful about using strumming patterns and picking patterns to hold the rhythm of my current songs.

In my opinion this needs correct EQ settings, correct drum equipment, and correct beat, strumming/picking patterns on the guitar. I really appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks
I'm really not sure how you work an acoustic in together with a full drum set, never seen it done. At most, a small 'kit' with snare, small kick and a high hat, or hand drums. What kind/genre of music do you anticipate making?
Due to the volume of a drum kit, it's possibly only an electronic kit is going to work well, otherwise you are going to have to really amplify your acoustic to be heard over the kit, which means larger venues (you haven't given much detail on the places you play now).
Most places where I see solo acoustic players don't really have the room for a full kit, too.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Ty for your input. Most places won't have more than 50-100 people at a time. Wineries, breweries, and coffee houses. The pa I use is good quality and I barely have to go at 1/4 of its strength. 2 550w behringer powered 12inch speaker cabs and a decent little behringer mixer and a vocal effects pedal. Also have a 200w kustom powered speaker for a monitor. My drummer has a similiar pa but with a 22" inch sub, a mixer with a built in crossover and sub output, and a 2000 watt amp to drive the sub. We may use it, but that kinda feels like overkill.

We have both electronic drums, and a regular kit. I play standard acoustic singer / songwriter stuff, aka jack johnson, pearl jam, and the like, with a few 50's stuff for fun.

We played around aittle since, and it feels like electronic drums don't mix well with acoustic guitar, but it may be eq settings and drum sample choices causing that too.

I'm thinking just as I would simplify the ghost in a practical sense for a song like yellow Ledbetter, we need to simplify the drums as well to start with. Most band drums are married with bass, but we have no bassist to do that here. I think the drums must stand alone as a sound here. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around how to accomplish that, with my limited drum knowledge.
For places of that size, you'll have to really tame the drum kit sound (not plugged in) in order to keep the volume reasonable. Again, I think a limited kit or handdrums might be the best answer for you.
My reverbnation page

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
I have done that in the past, Why not try an electro acoustic and plug it up. If not then you could use one of those elctronic pickups on your acoustic guitar. I prefer the later, it sounds better that way! Good luck
Lol. It's an electric acoustic. I guess I figured that was implied from the fact that I have a pa and I play shows up to 100 people.

Sorry I left that out
Then what's the problem just turn up the volume It will sound perfect! Unless the guy is going crazy on drums you will be pretty visible.