Page 1 of 3
I need a new computer and I want to start recording soon. I'm a pretty well practiced guitarist, but I know next to nothing about recording, DAW's, etc.

I've used Windows computers almost exclusively and I love them (albeit I'm not fond of windows 8 for aesthetic reasons). I know you can buy a comparable PC for half the price of a mac and customize it your heart's content.

On the other hand, I've never really used a mac. People who have them seem to think they're the bee's knees, and that makes me a little skeptical because I hate hype. Is mac really worth the extra money??? Is mac the ultimate computer for the aspiring artist??? Will it make me happy???

Objectively and subjectively, which OS has better DAW's, and, for that matter, better workflow? Keep in mind I don't just want to record guitar songs but I also want to start delving into EDM and synthpop (which probably isn't important but idk).

In essence: i know nothing about recording. I know about PCs. I don't know about macs. I also really love my PC's.

Oh and hey, I don't care about hardware because if I did I would go straight for a PC no question. This is about the OS and recording.
Last edited by Hungryformore21 at Jul 16, 2014,
It's not.

You don't need a mac.

The mac won't really give you self-fulfillment and eternal bliss the advertising and hype suggests and providing you aren't an idiot, you can do pretty much everything on a PC that you could on a mac. If price is no object, get whatever you feel in the mood for.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
If you're content with Windows there's no need to switch up everything you know. The industry standards such as Pro Tools and Cubase are available on both systems.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Both can be used for pretty much anything. Macs are largely standard in most industries that are focused on content creation (like "the arts"). There's probably reasons for that that go back to the 80s and 90s and the start of personal computing, but I don't know the history particularly well.

Both have almost the same major DAWs, with a few exceptions. Logic is OS X only, and there are probably some Windows only ones, but the old standbys like Cubase, Ableton, Pro Tools and Digital Performer are cross-platform. As is the most popular cheap option, Reaper.

I personally WAY prefer OS X, but I've been using it for a long time and am used to it. I think it's generally a much nicer experience than Windows, but there's nothing particularly special about it that makes it superior for audio production.

Also, there is going to be sooooo much anti-mac shit in here, so prepare yourself.
Thanks, Jazz.

Everyone's input is welcome. I just mostly value the input of people who have either gone from PC to mac, or mac to PC.
Macs are not flying unicorns but... they are very intuitive to use and they just work... all the time. No viruses, crashes are very rare but still possible, and interfacing with other things like printers, interfaces, wifi, phones, and cameras is almost too easy. I used Win exclusively since 3.1 and jumped ship during XP because I found my self spending several hours every week doing Win housekeeping maintenance chores instead of being productive.

I use Win 8 at work and Mac at home. For music, photos, video, and internet, I prefer Mac.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 16, 2014,
You don't get anything that is mac exclusive which works better than anything you can get on both OSs.
Logic isn't fantastic, and is just like a slightly shabby version of Cubase in terms of workflow. And, arguably, Ableton is better than both and available for both. Though I personally prefer the UI of Cubase.
I recorded just fine using a PC, Pro Tools, Cubase, and Reason. Your choice of OS doesn't matter immensely unless you want to use Logic Pro.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Both can be used for pretty much anything. Macs are largely standard in most industries that are focused on content creation (like "the arts"). There's probably reasons for that that go back to the 80s and 90s and the start of personal computing, but I don't know the history particularly well.

according to my old design teacher who said a few years ago something like:
back in the 90s mac computers bought out a company that was known for making good chips for graphic design and incorporated them into their high end ranges and so drew the graphic design and visual artist markets all to them. these were the days when actual computer hardware was still some incomprehensible thing to majority of people and they saw the computer as just a box to turn on an off. there wasn't the huge swathes of IT expertise like today so unless you got expensive consultants in to tailor build for you, you just went on word of mouth and bought the nice, tidy, complete mac package.

At some point the recording dudes jumped in on the bandwagon, not sure why. may have just been tv studios and such using them for video editing and just having the sound guys work on them too. nowadays with custom builds being super easy there's less reason to rely on one company to provide you with the 'best' total graphics machine or whatever.

I think he was bullshitting to an extent but I remember researching it a bit and seemed to be somewhat true.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
If you buy a Mac then you turn into an elitist prick, I've seen.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by theguitarist
according to my old design teacher who said a few years ago something like:
back in the 90s mac computers bought out a company that was known for making good chips for graphic design and incorporated them into their high end ranges and so drew the graphic design and visual artist markets all to them. these were the days when actual computer hardware was still some incomprehensible thing to majority of people and they saw the computer as just a box to turn on an off. there wasn't the huge swathes of IT expertise like today so unless you got expensive consultants in to tailor build for you, you just went on word of mouth and bought the nice, tidy, complete mac package.

At some point the recording dudes jumped in on the bandwagon, not sure why. may have just been tv studios and such using them for video editing and just having the sound guys work on them too. nowadays with custom builds being super easy there's less reason to rely on one company to provide you with the 'best' total graphics machine or whatever.

I think he was bullshitting to an extent but I remember researching it a bit and seemed to be somewhat true

Yeah that sounds about right. I know graphics designers liked them because of font packs or something like that? Basically they just came out with better tools earlier and so everyone flocked to them and never moved back.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah that sounds about right. I know graphics designers liked them because of font packs or something like that? Basically they just came out with better tools earlier and so everyone flocked to them and never moved back.

yeah I remember him saying it had a lot of features good for visual design in the hardware and bundled software, so for your average design company back then, it was less hassle and expense going for a mac with everything all taken care of. these days with pretty much everyone having dedicated IT people and computer building being super easy it's not as attractive to just have apple take care of it all for you.

obviously an extension of mac's treatment of consumers for a while (and still? I dunno, don't pay attention to them really...) which is fair enough when you have a populace who aren't computer literate like back then, but is a bit silly these days when most people know enough about computers to know exactly what they need out of their machine.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
OSX definitely comes with little attention to detail that are appreciated for certain professional applications. There are lot of photography/visual design/audio bits that Windows just does not have built in. Utilities such as Audio MIDI Setup makes it possible to route complex audio and MIDI connections. Other little things such as built-in remote desktop makes it easy to administer. And Windows still does not have a comprehensive backup solution, since its file system is so convoluted.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
OSX definitely comes with little attention to detail that are appreciated for certain professional applications. There are lot of photography/visual design/audio bits that Windows just does not have built in. Utilities such as Audio MIDI Setup makes it possible to route complex audio and MIDI connections.

Little things like that make a difference, I think.

I want my computer to be a tool specifically for music.

___

Imagine my computer was a guitar/piano/whatever: its only purpose is to play music (bad analogy, sue me)

Can I rely on it to be dependable when I need it? Will it work well with my other musical equipment? Can it be used in a live setting? I know mac can do these things, but does it do it that much better than PC?

These are the burning questions that keep me awake at night.
When I was playing live with a band I was running my macbook for sound processing from my guitar.

It is a great live device, very solid and easy to handle, both form and function.

It just feels weird trying to convince. Just buy it and try it out. You can always return. Just another perk of capitalism.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by homeless-john
I've never known anybody to speak about their Mac without sounding like a wanker.

>Acting like this should factor in his decision in any way.

Quote by Xiaoxi

It just feels weird trying to convince. Just buy it and try it out. You can always return. Just another perk of capitalism.

This is a different side of Xiaoxi.
I have both mac and pc.
If you like digging around doing windows things like cleaning out you registry and switching everything off to make it work fast enough for your DAW and defending it against viruses then get a pc.
If you like using your computer to make music, edit graphics, edit videos AND you can afford it, then get a mac.
Quote by PSimonR
I have both mac and pc.
If you like digging around doing windows things like cleaning out you registry and switching everything off to make it work fast enough for your DAW and defending it against viruses then get a pc.
If you like using your computer to make music, edit graphics, edit videos AND you can afford it, then get a mac.

Quote by homeless-john
I've never known anybody to speak about their Mac without sounding like a wanker.

yep.

Quote by homeless-john

I've never known anyone to speak against Macs without sounding like a cringe inducing bitter neckbeard

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
m8 just liv ur life the way u want 2 liv it. dont let any1 tell u wat 2 do. dont let peple convince u of wat to buy, thats wat the goverment and the corporations do. b ur own person. liv ur own life.

if u like ur pc, then stick wit it. if u want to change, then change. dont let any1 tell u wat 2 do
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Xiaoxi
I've never known anyone to speak against Macs without sounding like a cringe inducing bitter neckbeard

Ooh, sounds like he hit the sweet spot.

I like my Mac more than I liked any Windows system I had in the past.

As DAW's go I don't know enough to comment. I just use Logic because its what I could get my hands on when I decided I wanted to try some music production.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
because

I love PC. But it was like, one program works fine on my laptop, the other doesn't on my PC. They're essentially identical, with the same OS, the same programs and drivers, yet I have to spend ages messing around. One day stuff works, the next it doesn't. It could be infuriating.

My experience with Mac has been the opposite. Plug in and it works. It works across all my devices, on my Mac Mini and my Macbook, all my programs work with my USB Interfaces and I don't have to **** around.

Sure it's overpriced, but I don't care because it works much better for me. Logic Pro X is awesome too.

There are obvious plus points for each.

PC: Gaming, price, variety.

Mac: Multimedia editing, ease of use, support, cross device connectivity.

YMMV.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jul 16, 2014,
I've owned and used both.

Both have strengths and weaknesses, and pretending one is 'better' than the other is like pretending that Gibson is better than Fender.

It's a personal preference issue, no more and no less.

And if you have to defend your personal preference by citing facts, statistics and authority figures, you are indeed either a cringe inducing bitter neckbeard or a wanker, perhaps both.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by homeless-john

pretty much this

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
pretty much this

This is a good reason to not buy something. Because you don't want to be associated with a certain type of people.

I still stand bywhat I said earlier TS. just do wat u want 2 do
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
This is a good reason to not buy something. Because you don't want to be associated with a certain type of people.

who said anything about buying the damn thing?

i was just backing up a statement i believe to be true

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by JamSessionFreak
i was just backing up a statement i believe to be true

pretty much this

see?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jul 16, 2014,
Its a good computer imo. Really good. But, in all honesty its not really worth the extra money.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by MinterMan22
because

Thread
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
If you buy a Mac, especially a laptop, you'll find you suddenly stop using it to record music, and move into the nearest coffee shop to write a novel/screenplay(and spend more time telling people who just want to drink their damn coffee about it than you actually do on the writing).
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Page 1 of 3