Page 1 of 4
I suppose there already has been a similar thread. Maybe not, I couldn't find any. Title is self-explanatory
3) "Blackbird" by Alter Bridge

2) "Fight With Tools" by Flobots

1) "Copperhead Road" by Steve Earle
3. Judas Priest- British Steel
2. Iron Maiden- Killers
1. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality
Quote by rohash
3. Judas Priest- British Steel
2. Iron Maiden- Killers
1. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

It's interesting how you consider Killers Iron Maiden's best album ever, when most people are stuck between Number of the Beast, Powerslave and Somewhere In Time. You're the first person I've met like this.
City Of Evil By A7X
Back In Black- AC/DC
Panteras Greatest Hits (All albums are so good)
1. Morbid Angel - Crossing the Line Since 1989
2. Morbid Angel - Living Hardcore Radikult
3. Morbid Angel - Banging banging hardcore radikult
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by josonmj
It's interesting how you consider Killers Iron Maiden's best album ever, when most people are stuck between Number of the Beast, Powerslave and Somewhere In Time. You're the first person I've met like this.

Yeah it's close call. They're all great albums, as is Piece of Mind(probably my 2nd favorite). I even like Bruce's vocals better than Paul's but Killers just has this raw, dark sound throughout the whole album and every song on that album is excellent. No need to skip to the good ones, they're all good. Not too many albums like that. I kind of judge albums top to bottom, instead of just the best songs, and I love albums that have a lot of great deep cuts that the casual fans don't even know about.
Quote by josonmj

Congratulations, you've now met a second

Though I would be tempted to cheat and say the expanded version of Maiden Japan.

But in terms of line up, Killers is where it's at. Clive for me has a better groove and energy than Nicko has. Paul whilst not being technically a better vocalist, I find much more interesting to listen to, there's a raw unpolished gruffness that I really like. There's just a really rough raw energy throughout that album, and it feels more consistent than the début, and as songs I feel they are better written.

Somewhere in Time does come a close second though.
I think Number of the Beast is massively over rated. Hallowed be thy Name, Run to the Hills and the title track really save it, and are ridiculously good, but I think people overlook some of the more inferior tracks in favour of that big trio.
Thread is stupid.

I would never be able to compile 25+ years of listening into three albums. I would never be able to distill my passion into the weak concentrate that is a "top 10." I find it impossible to encompass the macrocosm of sound that I have been exposed to in Metal in a meager list. Top List are stupid and always have been since popular magazines started appealing to shallow retards with them.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by kirkisking
that's a damn good album
Love listening to that album on road trips.

Ok, here's my serious reply.
The reason that I picked these albums is that each one represents a landmark to me in my metal journey. I practically wore each of these albums out when I got them; to me, they will always have a special place in my heart.

3) Cannibal Corpse: "The Bleeding"

It contains the first death metal song that I ever heard - "Stripped, Raped, and Strangled" - and I was hooked the moment that I heard the opening riff.

2) Satyricon: "Dark Medieval Times"

My first black metal album. When I first heard it, I was intrigued by the relatively raw production (compared to what I'd heard up until that point) and the harsh atmosphere, combined with the interesting melodies.

1) Dream Theater: "Awake"

The first real metal album that I owned. The progginess of the album was something that I'd never heard before, and it really inspired me as a musician.
Iron Maiden: Killers
Iron Maiden: Powerslave
AC/DC: If You Want Blood
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Trivium - Shogun
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Thread is stupid.

I would never be able to compile 25+ years of listening into three albums. I would never be able to distill my passion into the weak concentrate that is a "top 10." I find it impossible to encompass the macrocosm of sound that I have been exposed to in Metal in a meager list. Top List are stupid and always have been since popular magazines started appealing to shallow retards with them.

I just....want....to fit....in
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by rohash
Yeah it's close call. They're all great albums, as is Piece of Mind(probably my 2nd favorite). I even like Bruce's vocals better than Paul's but Killers just has this raw, dark sound throughout the whole album and every song on that album is excellent. No need to skip to the good ones, they're all good. Not too many albums like that. I kind of judge albums top to bottom, instead of just the best songs, and I love albums that have a lot of great deep cuts that the casual fans don't even know about.

Killers is my favorite as well and I agree with all of this, and would just add that the rhythm section was at its best too. Burr is at the top of his game there and songs like Drifter have some of Harris' best basslines.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
I think Number of the Beast is massively over rated. Hallowed be thy Name, Run to the Hills and the title track really save it, and are ridiculously good, but I think people overlook some of the more inferior tracks in favour of that big trio.

The Prisoner is also a great song off that album.
Of the albums I own, my top three would have to be, in no particular order:

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Anthrax - Among the Living
Within Temptation - The Silent Force
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Thread is stupid.

So, if you were stuck on a desert island and could only listen to three metal albums for the rest of your life, you would have no idea where to begin? Keep in mind that this thread isn't about the three BEST, it's about your three FAVOURITE.
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

Then the other two could be any album I want because I don't believe in top three lists. I'm not that kind of man anymore.

I changed. I adapted. I evolved.
Quote by NABEF9
So, if you were stuck on a desert island and could only listen to three metal albums for the rest of your life, you would have no idea where to begin?

Correct. Every list I could hypothetically create would be arbitrary and void in this "gun to the head" scenario of choosing three "favorite" albums.

Further, this type of thread creates zero conversation worth having. It instantly devolves into something similar to the What Are You Listening To thread which is to say, a whole lot of words are used to say a whole lot of nothing. Go ahead and have your thread, it will be the same as the last Top List that have occurred in a plethora of mediums only to accomplish the same exact thing; Nothing.

If that's your goal, then eureka.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jul 21, 2014,
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Correct. Every list I could hypothetically create would be arbitrary and void in this "gun to the head" scenario of choosing three "favorite" albums.

Further, this type of thread creates zero conversation worth having. It instantly devolves into something similar to the What Are You Listening To thread which is to say, a whole lot of words are used to say a whole lot of nothing. Go ahead and have your thread, it will be the same as the last Top List that have occurred in a plethora of mediums only to accomplish the same exact thing; Nothing.

If that's your goal, then eureka.
Personally, I think it's fun to see people's favourite metal albums, especially when they've had years of exposure to the genre, because there are so many sub-genres and eras to pick from.
Hard choices... I would probably go for:

Revamp - Wild Cards
Coroner - Grin
Epica - Design your Universe

but some of Bruce Dickinson's solo albums, or Symphony X, would not be far behind, and I would miss them very much on that desert island.

Seriously, if you haven't listened to Revamp's second album, run for it. It's an amazing piece of jewelry, in studio as well as on stage.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
Last edited by Yuka66 at Jul 22, 2014,
Dude, why the hell would I pick 3 favorite albums? My favorite albums change like every month or so, anyway. This is an asinine request, TS.
Quote by kirkisking
I just like jazz, you know?

jazz is for posers man, stupid 2-5-1 progression each time and some wanker improvising random notes without any direction!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
jazz is for posers man, stupid 2-5-1 progression each time and some wanker improvising random notes without any direction!
Isn't jazz what hipsters listen to? I'm not a hipster
Quote by romencer17

They just play wrong notes and people eat it up!
and don't get me started on free jazz, talk about a bunch of damn noise without any music!

to make up for this shameful trolling I shall leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtHmqbnuZQs

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jul 22, 2014,
right now its

altar of plagues' Teethed Glory

metallica's and justice...

and Panopticon by isis

for the past 3 or 4 months it's been nothing but these three albums. why? i do not know
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
1. Rust in Peace
2. Welcome to Sky Valley
3. Lateralus
Quote by romencer17

You're talking about bad jazz. Go listen to Billie Holiday or Louis Armstrong, they wrote actual songs and had jazz. Bad jazz is like bad metal, all technical no songwriting. Also smooth jazz is awsome if you are in a tense situation and need to call down.
Last edited by farcry at Jul 27, 2014,
This is my 3 favorite albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqFuYMv-rk
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by farcry
You're talking about bad jazz. Go listen to Billie Holiday or Louis Armstrong, they wrote actual songs and had jazz. Bad jazz is like bad metal, all technical no songwriting. Also smooth jazz is awsome if you are in a tense situation and need to call down.

I was trolling. hence why a few posts after I mentioned how I feel bad about the trolling and then posted Sun Ra.

but since you say Holiday and Armstrong wrote 'actual songs and had jazz', do you mean you don't like bebop and the like? I can listen to Charlie Parker improv on a 2-5-1 progression forever!

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jul 27, 2014,
I generally don't have likes or dislikes for entire genres but only for individual musicians. Charlie Parker is decent but i like written songs over improv, inspires me to learn what makes a good song unique.
Page 1 of 4