So I just received an order of cleartone's drop C guitar strings, for use with my Ibanez mtm2, which I have been keeping in drop C of late. These strings are beyond thick, the low C is a 70... Stringing the guitar was a pain, because the low string wouldn't even go through the machine head, meaning I had to improvise a bit. Two action adjustments later, the guitar played fine... in drop A#, and even in drop A#, the strings are way way tighter than I would have liked. Granted I probably should have anticipated this, but I felt like trying something new.

Does anyone like playing with strings this thick?
Well, first of all, I think it's a complete overkill to get such a string set for drop C. You could probably manage that with a .10 set if you know your setup.

But I am interested in someday trying super-thick strings, but right now I don't have much room to experiment. But someday I'll probably get a guitar and string it up with the thickest guitar strings I can find and see how it feels.
got myself a set of beefy slinkies. dude was like, "these are great for downtuning". I told him I play in standard tuning
I really like the sound and feel of heavier strings. the thickest I've put on is a 56 I think - but a 70...damn! I'm keen to try and go up from 11s to 12s and see how I like it.
You bought the wrong strings. For Drop C on a 25.5" guitar you should be fine with a .10 or .11 light top/heavy bottom string set, which has a heavier sixth string for drop tuning. Just throw away those crazy heavy strings and start over.
Y'all need to quit wimping out and get some REAL heavy strings!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You bought the wrong strings. For Drop C on a 25.5" guitar you should be fine with a .10 or .11 light top/heavy bottom string set, which has a heavier sixth string for drop tuning. Just throw away those crazy heavy strings and start over.

Yes, Oh yes I did. I should not have bought strings via internet at like 2 in the morning last week lol. But they actually sound reasonably good, all things considered, nevertheless, a set of light top heavy bottoms is on the way.
Quote by Arby911
Y'all need to quit wimping out and get some REAL heavy strings!

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah they have their sizing wrong lol. I like their 12-60's for drop B/A# which they call the drop C# set
I can use 10-52 for drop C just fine. I actually use 10-52 for E and Drop D, I have gotten used to them on a 24.5" scale
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I can use 10-52 for drop C just fine. I actually use 10-52 for E and Drop D, I have gotten used to them on a 24.5" scale

I use 10-52 on 24.5 scale too. E Standard.
Even Drop D feels like noodle to me
Do you feel like I do!?
Last edited by EddieHet at Jul 18, 2014,
10-52 in drop C is definitely not tight enough for me.
Nor was the 12-56 I used to use for it.

Now the tension I like is 12-60, and I play in C standard on a 25.5" scale.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think my low E is .084, but that's for octave down tuning. A .070 for C is pretty crazy.
Schecter Hellraiser C VI
Devi Ever DFD
Yamaha THR10X