Hi guys,
maybe I have riddiculous question but I just got my BM overdrive and I didn't buy any addictional power supply.
I plugged it to my power supply from Digitech RP255 and it works just fine. The same with old Ansmann power supply 9v.
Here comes the thing: the pedal requires 300mA. Digitech one goes with 1,3A 9V
and the Ansmann 750mA.
Is it ok? My friend said it can damage my gear. Thanks for some reply
It'll be fine. Your mate doesnt know what he's talking about. So long as its a 9v adaptor it'll be fine. The voltage is the important one to match. Current draw (i.e. the mA) doesnt matter as much in terms of damaging your pedal. Even if your pedal only need 4mA and your adaptor provides 13amps, it aint gonna damage your guitar pedal. The guitar pedal will only take what it needs

Voltage on the other hand, if you plug 9v guitar pedal into the wall using a 24v adaptor then bring marshmallows

One thing though on a slightly seperate note, are you sure the current draw of the Bad Monkey is 300mA? Dirt pedals usually rate less than 20mA
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jul 17, 2014,
Im pretty sure the BM draws 17mA so those would be fine. I think the rule is you can go over the current draw but not under (correct me if im wrong).

edit. Yep, deffo 17mA.
I posted this in another forum a few days ago:
There is some info here that won't apply to you, some other info here will.

Quote by CodeMonk;6297157
Glad to be of some help.
Daisy chaining power is when you have multiple connectors all on the same cable hooked up to a single power supply connector.
The majority of pedals sold these days are negative ground.
Negative ground pedals should have this label on them:

Positive ground pedals usually would have a similar label on them but with the minus sign and the plus sign in the opposite locations.
Most likely the only positive ground pedals you would come across would be old school fuzzes like Fuzzface, Tonbenders and such.
There are Negative ground versions of these pedals, but the old original ones were often Positive ground.

And you CAN NOT daisy chain the power of both Negative Ground and Positive Ground on the same cable.

Another note about daisy chaining power:
Some pedals, while Negative Ground, do not play well with other pedals when the power is daisy chained.
Experiment to find the best solution for your needs.
As long as the voltage, polarity and current draw is compatible, you should have no problems experimenting.

Another note about those words "Current Draw"...
Current draw on both pedals and power supplies is listed as "mA" (10mA, 20mA etc.).
Dirt pedals generally draw very little power (typically under 20mA, and about half of that is used for the LED alone), The Crybaby wah only draws about 4mA.
Modulation type pedals (delay, reverb, phase, flanger, etc.) usually draw a great deal more.
For example. the current draw on my TC Nova Delay is 180mA.
Current draw on a pedal is the amount of current that pedal needs to operate properly.
Current draw on a power supply is the amount of current (mA) that that power supply is capable of supplying to a pedal or a group of pedals.
If you have a power supply that has a Current supply of say, 1000mA, then all the pedals hooked up to it CAN NOT exceed 1000mA.
If you have say, 4 pedals that need 250mA each to operate, that equals 1000mA, and it will work just fine (Although personally I like to keep the total current draw at around 75% - 80% of the power supplies maximum).
If you have 5 pedals that each need 250mA to operate, that equals 1250mA.
With the power supply capable of supplying only 1000mA, the pedals are going to have problems working properly and the power supply will likely overheat and die.

A power supply mA rating can exceed what any pedals hooked up to it require.
Under the same examples I listed above, with 4 pedals totaling 1000mA current draw, a power supply with a rating of 1000mA or OVER, will work fine (assuming voltage and polarity are compatible).
A power supply with a rating of say, 750mA will not (Under those same conditions).

See this list of what some pedals require as far as current:
The Power List | stinkfoot.se
If your pedal is not listed there, then have a look here: Measure your pedals’ current draw | stinkfoot.se
To see how to measure the current draw of a pedal.

I guess I have just had bad luck with power supplies from Radioshack.
But it has been several years since I've bought one from there.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 17, 2014,
+1 to CodeMonk

his post hits it right on the head. I really doubt that the Bad Monkey takes 300mA to power up...You sure you're reading into that properly?
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Thanks for quick response to all of you!
CodeMonk: that's full explanation for me
Checked. A note on the back of effect says "use Harman Power Adapter PS200R. Output 9VDC, 300mA"
The power supply for your RP255 is 9VAC. So if your friend knew that he would be correct in thinking it may damage the BM.
Quote by d12
Thanks for quick response to all of you!
CodeMonk: that's full explanation for me
Checked. A note on the back of effect says "use Harman Power Adapter PS200R. Output 9VDC, 300mA"
<sarcasm alert>
Well that's a surprise that Digitech would tell you to use a power adapter that THEY MAKE.
</sarcasm>
Welcome to Marketing 101

Boss and Dunlop both make power supplies and they both do the same thing.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 17, 2014,
Bad monkeys are junk. They don't even make them anymore. Its worthless. Give it away and buy a ds-1
Quote by Smigzy
Bad monkeys are junk. They don't even make them anymore. Its worthless. Give it away and buy a ds-1

bad monkeys are awesome. the only junk here is your post.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
bad monkeys are awesome. the only junk here is your post.

+1

Topic can be closed
Quote by Smigzy
(a) Bad monkeys are junk. (b) They don't even make them anymore. (c) Its worthless. (d) Give it away and buy a ds-1

(a) they have a little bit of "blanket over the speaker" syndrome going on, but I don't think they're junk either. They're hard to beat for what they cost.

(b) Yes they do.

(c) Nope, it's worth £21.

(d) Buy a totally different style of pedal which has at least as many haters as the bad monkey? That doesn't make sense.

(I don't hate the DS1 either but if he wants an overdrive he probably doesn't want a DS1 and vice-versa.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Smigzy

A Bad Monkey is an OD pedal, in the same class, sonically, as a Tubescreamer with more options. Sort Of.
A Boss DS-1 is a Distortion pedal.

Each pedal has their place and usage.
Each pedal will have its haters and its lovers.
Although I have seen far more hate for the DS-1 than I have the Bad Monkey.
Myself included.
IMO, a Vox AC30 doesn't get along well with a Boss DS-1.
At least it didn't work for me.
But I do hope to come up with some mod that works for it one of these days.
Quote by CodeMonk
A Bad Monkey is an OD pedal, in the same class, sonically, as a Tubescreamer with more options. Sort Of.
A Boss DS-1 is a Distortion pedal.

Each pedal has their place and usage.
Each pedal will have its haters and its lovers.
Although I have seen far more hate for the DS-1 than I have the Bad Monkey.
Myself included.
IMO, a Vox AC30 doesn't get along well with a Boss DS-1.
At least it didn't work for me.
But I do hope to come up with some mod that works for it one of these days.

hungry troll is hungry. if you don't feed them they'll die.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae