is it ideal to just have mainly the sound from the amp and not the noises from picking the strings? do most recording try to minimize picking noises?
Yes, when recording guitar it is ideal to have just the sound from the amp. You don't want the actual noise of your pick hitting the strings. If you are doing it on purpose in some kind of precussive manor, then that's your business. I wouldn't worry about it too much - you are unlikely to capture any of your actual picking noises during the recording process. Usually you'd either set your mic up by your amp, or just run your guitar through some kind of pedalboard or module with USB. Plug straight into your computer and record straight into your DAW.
I think it depends on what you're doing.

One of my collage tutors said he liked to have the sound of the pick for Acoustic guitars. He even made a big deal of muting the strings and recording the sound of the pick separately to add later so it was more prominent.
Can't really remember his entire explanation as since I left collage, I rarely play acoustic and haven't recorded acoustic at all, so I've basically forgot everything that I don't use.

Electric? I wouldn't want the sound of the pick at all, unless I intended for it to be there as an effect or something. Not sure what circumstances the 'or something' would be though.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Last edited by link no1 at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by link no1
I think it depends on what you're doing.

One of my collage tutors said he liked to have the sound of the pick for Acoustic guitars. He even made a big deal of muting the strings and recording the sound of the pick separately to add later so it was more prominent.
Can't really remember his entire explanation as since I left collage, I rarely play acoustic and haven't recorded acoustic at all, so I've basically forgot everything that I don't use.

Electric? I wouldn't want the sound of the pick at all, unless I intended for it to be there as an effect or something. Not sure what circumstances the 'or something' would be though.

Yep, you're right. I considered this and almost mentioned something along these lines, but I assumed that since the OP was asking this caliber of questions, the best direction we can point him in (to the end of having cleaner recordings) is a firm no on any extraordinary noises or reverberation if possible.