Hi!
Did someone try Catalinbread dirty little secret MKiii or Xotic sl drive in front of Blackstar's ht-5r combo?
Do they sound good together?
I bet it sounds average.

Owned an HT-5 for a day. Played it with a cheap guitar with stock pickups through a cheap Blackstar cab with a Celestion Seventy 80. About the kind of gear someone would typically own and play should they be considering just about any HT amp.

It was a very mediocre sound. Just kinda stale. It was neat at the time, but looking back on it, it was unimpressive.

The way I see it, an amp needs to sound pretty killer on its own before I'd even consider spending extra on some expensive overdrive pedal.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Last edited by lemurflames at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by lemurflames
I bet it sounds average.

Owned an HT-5 for a day. Played it with a cheap guitar with stock pickups through a cheap Blackstar cab with a Celestion Seventy 80. About the kind of gear someone would typically own and play should they be considering just about any HT amp.

It was a very mediocre sound. Just kinda stale. It was neat at the time, but looking back on it, it was unimpressive.

The way I see it, an amp needs to sound pretty killer on its own before I'd even consider spending extra on some expensive overdrive pedal.

Thank you for the prompt and clear reply.
Could you shed more light on the killer amp worth pedals equasion?
Depends on the kind of music you want to play.

I don't know what you want and what you like to play. I can only assume it's some type of modern metal tone you're after. An HT-5 with an overdrive can do it. However, there are other amps for a similar price that will do it much better.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I think the idea is that an amp should at least sound good on its own before you start buying other things. If it's not good on its own you need a new amp, not more pedals.

I haven't played the HT5 with either of those pedals but the amp gets a little ratty (thin, nasal, farty bass) sounding with a big input signal, at least with the stock speaker. If you kept the volume low-ish on the pedals it might be fine but I wouldn't expect the HT-5 to be significantly improved by an OD.
Generally, I like Marshall super lead tones, from Led Zeppelin to modern EVH.
Can you recommend a small 1-5 watt combo amp that can acheive these tones (with or without pedals)?
I mostly play at bedroom volume levels.
You may like the new Marshall DSLs. Some people aren't all that fond of them but I tried the DSL40 the other day and, like the new 20w Peavey Valve King heads, I thought it sounded better than expected. You never know til you try one.

Marshall Class 5, the newer Peavey VK head, Vox Lil Night Train (not so sure bout evh), Egnater Rebel will work well for you. Keep in mind, a lot of amps sound good at low volume. An od pedal will help for low volume playing.
You can cheap out and get a lil Epi Valve Jr. It'd need a pedal for evh but it'd at least be worth the price and they can sound pretty good at a fraction of the cost of an ht. Hell, you could buy an ht dual pedal and an Epi Vjr and I bet it'd sound better than an ht at half the cost.

If you're only playing at "bedroom" volume, an mfx+monitor is an extremely versatile route to take.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 18, 2014,
They old DSL 112 combos go for like $350 a lot here lately. Hard to beat that kind of amp for the price. Honestly we would need more info to give good recommendations.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
maybe a vox lil night train? Find a decent 1x12 cab and they sound great for the styles you mentioned. Good sounding headphone out as well.
Quote by lemurflames
I bet it sounds average.

Rectos sound killer with a boost

Quote by lucky1978
You may like the new Marshall DSLs. Some people aren't all that fond of them but I tried the DSL40 the other day and, like the new 20w Peavey Valve King heads, I thought it sounded better than expected. You never know til you try one.

Marshall Class 5, the newer Peavey VK head, Vox Lil Night Train (not so sure bout evh), Egnater Rebel will work well for you. Keep in mind, a lot of amps sound good at low volume. An od pedal will help for low volume playing.
You can cheap out and get a lil Epi Valve Jr. It'd need a pedal for evh but it'd at least be worth the price and they can sound pretty good at a fraction of the cost of an ht. Hell, you could buy an ht dual pedal and an Epi Vjr and I bet it'd sound better than an ht at half the cost.

If you're only playing at "bedroom" volume, an mfx+monitor is an extremely versatile route to take.

I second this.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 18, 2014,
Yes. Rectifiers do.

Did you misread my post?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Yes. Rectifiers do.

Did you misread my post?

It doesn't sound quite so killer without one at least, not USD4000 good, which is what one costs here and that's just the amp, not including the cab. ****ing import tax
Well, tone is subjective really. I enjoy a Rectifier boosted and unboosted.

Mesa doesn't seem to do wrong. However, Blackstar has done a good job of making people hate them.

You should move to the US. The used Mesa market would make you piss yourself. All the Rectos you can handle for 1000 USD.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames

You should move to the US. The used Mesa market would make you piss yourself. All the Rectos you can handle for 1000 USD.

You're not really selling it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm no salesman.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lemurflames
Well, tone is subjective really. I enjoy a Rectifier boosted and unboosted.

Mesa doesn't seem to do wrong. However, Blackstar has done a good job of making people hate them.

Y u do dis y u maek mah pants sad