Hi,

I just got a Blue Yeti USB microphone for some podcasting, but I got the brilliant idea of testing if i can record my guitar amp with it.

The sound quality is very good but I can hear myself playing in the background and im sitting like 4 meters away from the mic. The microphone is set to Cardioid mode and yes I've pointed it towards the amp.

Would getting an actual instrument mic stop me from hearing myself in the background or is this common for any microphone type?
Last edited by Xioinor at Jul 17, 2014,
How far away from the speaker do you have the mic and how loud is the amp turned up?

If the amp is loud enough, it shouldn't really pick up your strumming, but it also depends on where you are in proximity to the mic. Remember, a cardioid pattern doesn't mean it picks up everything only directly in front of it, but also the sides and part of the back:

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My mic is about 3cm from the amp placed at the edge of the speaker. I'm sitting about 4 meters directly behind it.
The amp is loud enough to be heard in the next room but not loud enough to wake people.

In the recording the amp sounds loud and clear and the waveform is in the sweet spot, not too loud, not too quiet.

But I also hear myself strumming the guitar in the background.
Quote by Xioinor
Would getting an actual instrument mic stop me from hearing myself in the background or is this common for any microphone type?
Likely not.

Plus instrument mic's are designed for acoustic instruments for the most part.

I'd put a blanket between you and the mic and/or I'd play further from it.

Are you also 100% sure it's in cardioid mode and your levels are right?

'cause if the level of a speaker that near the mic is at the right level, the sound of you picking should be hella low and most likely overshadowed by the speaker's sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Proper orientation is contingent upon much more than you have given us information to accurately assess. My suggestion is consider the polarity of your microphone, as displayed above, and adjust accordingly. If you can't dial it in, then turn your amp up a notch or two and begin adjusting again.
Quote by Xioinor
The amp is loud enough to be heard in the next room but not loud enough to wake people.

Sounds like you need to turn it up more, then.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
To answer some more questions.

Unless my eyes are deceived by an evil spell I am 100% sure it's in cardioid mode.
I am sitting right between the buttcheeks of the cardioid, 4 meters away.

About higher amp volume - The mic is at only 10% gain and already the audio is on the border of clipping. I can't see myself playing the amp louder without massive clipping or distortion.

Maybe I do need some sort of screen cover between me and mic. Is that a common recording practice or does it mean I need a better mic? Like the Shure SM57 for example.