I am looking for a distortion pedal. I don't know very much about pedals. This will be my first one. What kind of cables do I need for one? I don't want to spend more than 100 dollars on one including cables. Do different ones suit different music better? I know I probably sound really dumb, but I don't want to make a bad purchase. I am looking for something like Blur used in Song 2, if that makes any sense. Or like Weezer use. I am totally confused about pedals. Please help.

Thanks
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Last edited by songbird64 at Jul 17, 2014,
Quote by songbird64
What kind of cables do I need for one?

Two instrument cables (one from the guitar to the pedal, the other from the pedal to the amp)

Quote by songbird64
Do different ones suit different music better?

yes, but no.

Quote by songbird64
I am looking for something like Blur used in Song 2, if that makes any sense. Or like Weezer use.

Weezer use tube distortion.

that blur song sound (IMHO) mainly like a fuzzed up bass

---
Most importantly, What amp do you have?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
A lot of their tone comes from their amp, your amp is the biggest factor in tone. You seem like the perfect candidate for a multifx. You may be able to pick up a used Zoom G3 for $100. A multifx will give you all kinds of different fx to screw around with and figure out what you like or don't like before plunking down big bucks on single pedals. The Zoom even has generic names for the actual pedal its mimicing. A mfx also normally has other features which are good for practice (headphone jack, looper, amp modeling, tuner, etc).

Otherwise, a Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD1 or Proco Rat would be a good place to start.

You may also wanna check out the Zoom Multistomps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 17, 2014,
My amp is a Peavy Vypyr VIP 1 that has some built in effects
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by boblittle

Weezer use tube distortion.

But for example doesn't Weezer use a pedal in Say It Ain't So?
i think song 2 is a rat

a rat is a killer pedal

i don't know how it works with a modelling amp, though. it may well be fine with one of the cleaner amp models, but you'd want to try it with your amp before buying it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Should I try out the pedals before I buy one?
Quote by songbird64

Always.
Quote by Wicer
Always.

Should I bring my own amp? The only music store near me is a Guitar Center
Call them and ask if they have a peavey like yours. Then go play with what they have. I also agree that you would be a great candidate for a multi fx so that you can try many sounds.
I'd take some real time to experiment with the fx in your amp rather than worry about buying more. spending $100 on a pedal to put through a $100 amp is most likely not a great way to spend money or get what you want sound wise.

once you learn more about how the fx you have work then you'll be in a better position to buy something that will give you what you want.
Quote by monwobobbo
I'd take some real time to experiment with the fx in your amp rather than worry about buying more. spending $100 on a pedal to put through a $100 amp is most likely not a great way to spend money or get what you want sound wise.

once you learn more about how the fx you have work then you'll be in a better position to buy something that will give you what you want.

I don't want alot of effects yet. All I really want right now is a distortion pedal so that I can go from clean to distorted during a song
Quote by songbird64
I don't want alot of effects yet. All I really want right now is a distortion pedal so that I can go from clean to distorted during a song

Does your amp not have a footswitch you can buy.

Other than that, go cheap and cheerful. Have a look at Joyo pedals or maybe just plump for the good ol' Boss DS-1
Quote by LivinJoke84
Does your amp not have a footswitch you can buy.

Other than that, go cheap and cheerful. Have a look at Joyo pedals or maybe just plump for the good ol' Boss DS-1

I didn't think of that. It does have a footswitch. But I think I prefer just having one simple pedal for now. Then maybe later get the footswitch
Go for a DS-1. Theyre about £45 brand new, even less used (of which there is an abundance), theyre striaght forward, sound good (was good enough for Kurt) and are basically indestructable.
^ I think I will get the Boss.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate them. You guys really helped me alot.
^ a digitech hot head is basically a cheaper ds1 (or at least it's cheaper in Europe, in the US it might be the same price ), so also might be worth considering.

I'd prefer a rat, though. granted, dearer and maybe not worth the extra with your amp.

Quote by songbird64

If you can at all- but you need to try them out with your amp (especially the amp) and with your guitar (if the store has the same amp and guitar you have (or at least a similar guitar with similar pickups) that would of course be just fine).

There's no substitute for trying... but you need to be very careful that you're trying in the "right" way. Try in the wrong way (try a pedal you're thinking of through a different amp and with a different guitar from the one you have) and it could give you the wrong end of the stick if you're not careful.

I'd probably get the amp footswitch before I got a pedal, assuming you like how your amp's distortion amp models sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I will probably try out everything I can afford there and then choose one. You can never try out too much gear. I will keep all of my options open.

Thanks for all the input, guys!
I'd go for a Rat. Much more fun and versatile! I don't really like Boss pedals in general, they sound dull IMO. Alot of people will disagree, I don't know how they earned a so good reputation. Maybe they were good circuits back then.

Or even a footswitch if you want to keep this amp for a while.
^ I will probably get a pedal that will work with any amp so that if I decide to upgrade I don't have to buy a more gear.
Any regular old distortion, fuzz, overdrive type pedal will work with any amp, but there is probably a pedal for your specific amp to change from clean to drive channel.
you have an amp with effects as well as multiple options for OD. is there a switch (maybe sanpera at least thats what the old peavey vypyrs) that would get you anything you would need.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by songbird64
^ I will probably get a pedal that will work with any amp so that if I decide to upgrade I don't have to buy a more gear.

yeah it is kind of a paradox. the specific amp footswitch for your current amp would be best, but as you said, it won't work with anything else (and you won't get back anything near what you paid for it if you sell it on along with the amp, or even separately).

a pedal can be used with any amp, but some pedals like some amps more than others, so it's not that clearcut a choice either.

it's pretty much up to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
DS-1 is good for the price, but a lot of their other distortions are garbage imo.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline