Any reason not to? The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no second channel EQ, but other than that is there any other reason not to?
It's really heavy. If you're a squishy guy with little muscle, you'll need some kind of cart.

A 5150 III 50 watt head and the EVH 212 would be a fine choice for the same price. The same amp and the Orange 112 may be a better choice for less money. Less overall weight.

The reverb DSP in the combo is nice. The Watt/Power control is useless on this type of amplifier. It already has volume knobs.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thank you for the suggestions, but the weight isn't an issue.

Wouldn't the watt / power control allow it to breakup at much lower volumes, this is what i get from it.
^ yeah, but there's no guarantee the thing'll really sound good using that system.

Plus a 5150 III isn't really the amp I'd go for if I wanted power tube distortion.

So, what do you really want TS, what kinda stuff you wanna play, what's your budget and are you willing to buy used stuff?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
A 5150 gets all of its gain from the preamp section, not the power tubes. So you'll be using the gain knobs to control how much breakup/distortion you want at any volume.

Good amp for bedroom practice.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I just want a versatile amp with a dedicated clean, can do crunch and able to do the heavy metal stuff as well. Mostly will be using in apartment, but has to be able to play small gigs as well. My budget is $1.5-1.6k USD, want a combo. As for styles I play, I play everything, literally everything and do not want used.

MUST have an FX loop, good clean channel and be able to do NWOBHM to Death Metal distortion. Onboard reverb is nice as well.

As for reference, I use a Jet City JC22h with a g12h30 speaker. This is NOT clean enough for me.
Last edited by Dound at Jul 17, 2014,
I have the full-sized 100 watt version of the 5150III, and it's definitely the best amp I have ever played through, if you want a sound, no matter what it is, the 5150 can do it.

The only thing I'd say about the 50 watt versions is that their shared EQ on channels 1 and 2 mean that if you want to go from sparkling clean to mild crunch you'll need to work something out on channel 3, and end up losing that channel too, since sparkly clean tones come from the channel 1 volume being turned way up with the gain as low as possible (or at least that's the way I found it sounds best) and if you did that you'd have a channel 2 that would be unusable because of the sheer volume jump between the 2 sounds. The 50 watt version does have inbuilt reverb though (if I remember right!), so that's a bonus of getting the 50 watt head.

The distorted channels (and the amp as a whole) are loud, sometimes unusably loud, but if you can find the volume sweet spot you're golden. Apart from these hurdles it's a great piece of kit and I honestly couldn't recommend a better sounding amp.
Last edited by JDR3009 at Jul 17, 2014,
I think you can control the volume jump between the 2 channels using a MIDI controller. I don't have the amp, but I've read some users have done that to correct the volume issue.

That still doesn't change the fact your volume, gain, and tone controls will all be shared regardless though.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Last edited by TremontiAddict at Jul 18, 2014,
Quote by Dound
I just want a versatile amp with a dedicated clean, can do crunch and able to do the heavy metal stuff as well. Mostly will be using in apartment, but has to be able to play small gigs as well. My budget is $1.5-1.6k USD, want a combo. As for styles I play, I play everything, literally everything and do not want used.

MUST have an FX loop, good clean channel and be able to do NWOBHM to Death Metal distortion. Onboard reverb is nice as well.

As for reference, I use a Jet City JC22h with a g12h30 speaker. This is NOT clean enough for me.

You might be happier with something like an Axe FX, or a Line 6 DT50 + HD500X, though neither are combos or new.

$1500 can go a really long way, but the combo and new parameters severely choke your options. If those are must haves, the 5150 III is probably the best you're going to do. But if you want prisitne cleans at all volumes, I'd be wary of 50W - they can typically reach break up when playing with a drummer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not a fan of line 6 products, had an XTL and hated how it sounded. Was looking at an eleven rack, but I really like the real amp feel, it just is more real to me. Axe setup is just too much for me, same with kemper, even though it's only a few hundred more. as well as all the tweaking that goes with them.

With all that said above, this is why I think the 5150 iii will be the best bet for me. It'll mostly be used in the apartment, just a few small gig / rehearsal things. Just looking to see if there's anything I've missed before ordering. As far as drummers go, maybe! That's definitely something that could happen.
Quote by lemurflames
A 5150 gets all of its gain from the preamp section, not the power tubes. So you'll be using the gain knobs to control how much breakup/distortion you want at any volume.
Well this is a hell of a generalization.

Most people use pre distortion on amps like that, though some people don't only do that.
Plus, gain doesn't mean distortion - you raise the gain turning up the "gain" and you raise the gain turning up the "volume", regardless of the distortion you're incurring into.
Quote by Dound
How much do ENGL powerball II's go for over the pond?
'cause that would be my choice.

Though ya gotta like the ENGL sound, so I'd try one and see how I like it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
ENGL is in the 2,000s, the ironball is around $1.2k but didn't care much for it, can't remember what it was, it just didn't captivate me well. I was considering an orange th30, but I think I researched them being made in china, which is bugera land if I recall correctly. I know the 5153 is made in mexico, but that's alright. I'm sure Fender know whats up.
Quote by Dound
I was considering an orange th30, but I think I researched them being made in china, which is bugera land if I recall correctly.
My amp is made in china and it's more solid than 9 out of 10 amps made in china and more solid than amps made in mexico and all around the rest of the world.

Quality is a concern, and it's usually not related to where the thing is manufactured.
Alright, most stuff manufactured in china sin't high quality at all, but it's not like you can't do a high quality amp there.

QC's more of a concern.
Bugera's QC sucks, so their amps come out of the factory with problems.
Orange's QC doesn't suck (though their amps are overpriced), so you don't get faulty amps.

I wouldn't go for an orange anyway, 5150 III's are more versatile.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Well as you said Orange is overpriced, an overpriced made in china amp is really really fickle to me. I'm not too much a fan of the made in mexico either, but like I said it's Fender, I trust them! But yeah, the 5153 is more than likely more fitting for me.
Quote by Dound
Well as you said Orange is overpriced, an overpriced made in china amp is really really fickle to me. I'm not too much a fan of the made in mexico either, but like I said it's Fender, I trust them! But yeah, the 5153 is more than likely more fitting for me.

I had a 100W 5150 III head for a year, & as stated above, there's really no sounds that it can't do extremely well. I've only played the high gain channel on the 50W head, so I can't attest to its cleans, but it sounds just like the 100W to me on the gain side. I've heard there're ways around the volume disparity between channels on the 50W-you just have to research it if it becomes a problem for you. I think you'll absolutely love that amp. I'm going to get one of the 50W ones eventually.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011