Recently got back into playing, i currently own an acoustic but i'd like an electric (always wanted one but was pushed into acoustic and regret it).

Budget is a firm £250 and that has to include everything i need, the guitar, an amp, cables, a tuner etc.

Styles i'm most interested in are classic rock like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd but what got me into playing in the first place was the music out of the blues brothers so maybe that too. I like the sound of the lead guitar in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlou_2lMLAc

Preferences i'm neutral on, i like the body style of strats but i'm more interested in playability and sound over this. Pickups i'm open to suggestion on as I lack the knowledge to be informed over this.

I'm looking at new guitars only. I'm based in Newcastle in the UK.

I've been looking at Squier strats as they seem balanced and cost effective.
Last edited by bennett346 at Jul 18, 2014,
Yamaha Pacifica 112V + Peavey Rage.
Go to a shop that sells both. They should be able to sort you out for under your budget.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Yamaha Pacifica 112V + Peavey Rage.
Go to a shop that sells both. They should be able to sort you out for under your budget.

What about a good tuner? Any reccomendations?
The Pacifica is a good starter guitar, also I'd consider second hand gear as usually you get something more for a bit less, as for Squier, I have a 1990s Affinity Stratocaster and it plays really well
Quote by vocoderboy
save another ton and you can get a fender strat (modern player)

I could easily spend another hundred but £250 is my self imposed limit.
Quote by bennett346
What about a good tuner? Any reccomendations?

The only one I can recommend is the one I have, which is a Samson CT-20. It has a color display, can tune a guitar, bass, or any other instrument, can change the calibration, and has a flat feature, which lets you tune from E all the way down to B. All for $30.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Any old tuner will do if you're starting out. You can even just use sites on the web that do it in real time.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Have a look at the little "Son of Snark"

I got it for £12 and its suprisingly good! Will mean you have to buy one less instrument cable too
For a tuner there are also smartphone apps available - many of them are free too (assuming you already have a smartphone!)

So you may already have a tuner in your pocket right now.
Quote by bennett346
I could easily spend another hundred but £250 is my self imposed limit.

Just to check, is that limit self-imposed because you have other more important things to spend your money on (which is fair enough, you know better than we do what your situation is), or self-imposed because you just don't feel like spending any more? Because if it's the latter, another £50 or so could be the difference between having something which is pretty good or which is mediocre (or worse).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Just to check, is that limit self-imposed because you have other more important things to spend your money on (which is fair enough, you know better than we do what your situation is), or self-imposed because you just don't feel like spending any more? Because if it's the latter, another £50 or so could be the difference between having something which is pretty good or which is mediocre (or worse).

Self imposed as I have money earmarked for other things. I originally set aside 200 for this but realised 250 would get me a fair bit better equipment so can't really raise it again but your point is valid and I tend to agree for stuff like this.
No worries- it's your call. As long as you realise what you're doing, that's just fine.

You can get a pacifica 112 for £169 on GAK (with a free cable). It's the slightly older model with slightly fewer features, but I think the overall quality of the guitar should be the same as the dearer/newer 112v (don't quote me on that, though, I haven't tried them head to head).

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-pacifica-112j-black/58782

(the other colours are dearer for some reason)

the tone in that blues brothers link might be more like a telecaster... maybe some of the squiers would be worth a look (don't have much experience with squiers).

GAK also has a vox mini 3 in black for £76. (they have free delivery over £99 so if you combine that with the guitar you'd get free delivery) http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vox-mini-3-g2-bk/81991

That leaves you £5 for a strap. You can normally get perfectly adequate nylon straps for around £3. that leave £2 for a few plectrums.

You can get a guitar stand for under £10 but it's technically putting you over the budget. Alternatively (or as well) a gigbag wouldn't hurt if you're going to be taking your guitar with you anywhere. Again, you can get cheapish ones for around the £10-£20 mark but there's no need to get one immediately (and if you're only playing at home, no need at all to get one).

And spare strings wouldn't hurt but I suppose you could technically chalk them down to ongoing costs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 19, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
No worries- it's your call. As long as you realise what you're doing, that's just fine.

You can get a pacifica 112 for £169 on GAK (with a free cable). It's the slightly older model with slightly fewer features, but I think the overall quality of the guitar should be the same as the dearer/newer 112v (don't quote me on that, though, I haven't tried them head to head).

(the other colours are dearer for some reason)

the tone in that blues brothers link might be more like a telecaster... maybe some of the squiers would be worth a look (don't have much experience with squiers).

GAK also has a vox mini 3 in black for £76. (they have free delivery over £99 so if you combine that with the guitar you'd get free delivery) http://www.gak.co.uk/en/vox-mini-3-g2-bk/81991

That leaves you £5 for a strap. You can normally get perfectly adequate nylon straps for around £3. that leave £2 for a few plectrums.

You can get a guitar stand for under £10 but it's technically putting you over the budget. Alternatively (or as well) a gigbag wouldn't hurt if you're going to be taking your guitar with you anywhere. Again, you can get cheapish ones for around the £10-£20 mark but there's no need to get one immediately (and if you're only playing at home, no need at all to get one).

And spare strings wouldn't hurt but I suppose you could technically chalk them down to ongoing costs.

That's really helpful, thanks.

I can aquire a stand for free off relatives, plus i already have plectrums. I'm trying to find somewhere local to have a try of this equipment, even if i end up buying it online.
No worries

And yeah if you can try it first that's the thing. If you do find it locally and it's in decent condition you could even mention the GAK price and ask them how close they can get. No guarantee that'll work, but it might. If it doesn't you were ok with buying off GAK anyway (and GAK was just under your budget, so you genuinely need to get it at GAK's price, you're not just lying to get it slightly cheaper).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?