I'm about to buy a Scarlett 18I20 for $350
I really want to hear some recommendations for a similar interface
or if someone can find a used one that is cheaper than that.

I'm looking for
-4 front inputs
-rack mountable
-under $500
-(optional) 4 front facing inputs
-adat in
-midi in
No preference in firewire or usb.

Can't really think of any other options I want.
But I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

Any help would be awesome!
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Jul 18, 2014,
Quote by Kyleisthename
I'm about to buy a Scarlett 18I20 for $350
I really want to hear some recommendations for a similar interface
or if someone can find a used one that is cheaper than that.

I'm looking for
-4 front inputs
-rack mountable
-under $500
-(optional) 4 front facing inputs
-adat in

Can't really think of any other options I want.
But I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

Any help would be awesome!

The Scarlett 18i20 only has 2 front inputs, unless you're counting the headphone jacks as inputs...?

The only interface I can think of that has that many inputs in the front is the old Presonus Firepod/FP-10, which isn't very compatible with modern operating systems (I think the FireStudio might have 8 inputs on the front like the FP-10, though?)...

Other than that, Luca's going to come in and recommend the Mackie Onyx Blackbird, which is a great interface, but it only runs on FireWire, which could be an issue, depending on your computer.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Scarlett 18i20 only has 2 front inputs, unless you're counting the headphone jacks as inputs...?

The only interface I can think of that has that many inputs in the front is the old Presonus Firepod/FP-10, which isn't very compatible with modern operating systems (I think the FireStudio might have 8 inputs on the front like the FP-10, though?)...

Other than that, Luca's going to come in and recommend the Mackie Onyx Blackbird, which is a great interface, but it only runs on FireWire, which could be an issue, depending on your computer.

I know the unit has only 2 on the front but if I could find 4 that would be a lot better since I hate having to dig behind a desk. I guess a good cable management would remedy this.

I know a few people who use the FireStudio but I don't want the possibility of diver issues since I'm on Windows 8. The Blackbird doesn't have midi in which is kind of doo doo since I plan on using an electric kit with it. My current midi keyboard is usb with no input so I can't use it there.

Firewire isn't an issue either,
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
If FireWire isn't an issue, I'd get the Saffire Pro 40 instead. You'll have the potential for less latency over FW and it has the same preamps and conversion as the 18i20, plus it costs the same (you can probably find a b-stock one that comes with a warranty on eBay for like $300-350, though - Full Compass has them at $400 right now on their website).

You could always remedy the MIDI issue on the Blackbird with a USB hub and an M-Audio MIDISport UNO; but that'd be an additional cost, which really won't give you anything better than the Saffire.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If front and back access makes a difference to you, and you're in a racked desk, maybe you should buy a patch bay. That could help a bit.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The inputs on the front seems to be your most limiting factor. I'd either re-think that, or consider a patch bay as Sid McCall suggested. (I found the TC Konnect 48 with all the inputs on the front, but it's twice your price range....)

Alternately, if inputs on the front is a big deal, consider the Behringer ADA8000. It's quite inexpensive, has very usable pres (with all eight of them on the front), and has ADAT I/O. If you connect the ADAT out from that to another interface - even something very simple - that will accept ADAT in and has midi, then you could be all set. (not sure what that would be, off-hand though...)

Alternately, maybe check out the Tascam US1800. It has all 8 inputs on the front and has midi. It's under $500... but not by that much. I've never used one, so I can't recommend it based on the quality, but it seems to have everything you're looking for, except the ADAT I/O.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jul 19, 2014,
So, I finally ordered a Saffire pro 40 and I didn't want to make a whole new thread on the subject.

I noticed that the Saffire can use both Firewire and Thunderport.
I know that Thunderport is a new technology so will I run into more issues if I buy a Thunderport card?

Anyone got any experience with Thunderport on Windows?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Last edited by Kyleisthename at Aug 17, 2014,
Quote by Kyleisthename
So, I finally ordered a Saffire pro 40 and I didn't want to make a whole new thread on the subject.

I noticed that the Saffire can use both Firewire and Thunderport.
I know that Thunderport is a new technology so will I run into more issues if I buy a Thunderport card?

Anyone got any experience with Thunderport on Windows?

Thunderbolt*

I didn't know they had that on PC now, that's neat. My friends who have thunderbolt interfaces on their macs love the speed and reliability - not sure how reliable it will be on PC though. Just use the firewire for now, and if you run into issues there then think about going to thunderbolt. Not something to concern yourself with before even receiving your new interface.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite