Hey im new to guitar. Recently bough it and im kinda not feeling full enjoyment from learning playing guitar. i try to practice every day for atleast and hour and at friday i do it like 3 hours or more. What you guys sugggest is it normal not to enjoy the "boring" part of grinding practices and not able to play anything or maybe i should learn what i want at the moment and gives me enjoyment or just keep with grindy excercises and dont get enjoyment?
Its probaby boring b/c your still learning basic chords and such. There are no short cuts. Try learning tablature so you can throw some songs in your practice sessions. Easy songs! Your not going to shred Pantera and such from learning basic chords. Learning guitar takes years. Here's a little unknown fact to learning guitar. You can practice everyday for your first year, and at the end of that year, you"ll still suck. Stick to your book lessons. I know its boring but It will pay off if your willing to put in the time.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
If you can't find a teacher Go to www.justinguitar.com and start going through the stuff there. Really though you should get a teacher.

It is boring, but soon you'll be able to play some pretty easy but pretty cool songs! Every technique that you need to know ever is in songs, so instead of learning techniques in a boring way find the songs that you love that have those techniques. Play slowly and accurately while you're learning so that you don't make mistakes.

It's the most practical and fun way to learn.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jul 18, 2014,
Forgot to mention that Rocksmith for gaming consols can get you thru the beginner stage while learning songs. Youtube has fantastic guitar lessons available and the lessons here on UG are helpful as well.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
I just recently tried out this app Guitarbots to see if it would be worth recommending to some of my students as a lesson supplement, and so far I'm pretty impressed.

It's essentially like Rocksmith except that you don't need any fancy cable or a gaming console. It's available as an iOS app or as an in web browser application and can just use your built in microphone, microphone input (with 1/4 inch to 1/8) adapter or any USB interface.

I just started trying it out last night but so far have found the tracking to be fairly accurate with my acoustic and iPad's inboard mic.

So get I'm not going to say that it'll replace a good teacher but it'll definitely make the early practice stages a little more entertaining with the game style interface.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Forget regular "practice" sessions just pick up your guitar and fool around and get comfortable with what makes what noise or emotion. Dive into tabs and learn to play your favourite songs badly and things you thought unfathomable will slowly click in your head. Save the theory and monotonous practice sessions until later so you can polish your techniques and concentrate on the things you will then understand why you need to improve upon. Until then do what is fun. I remember I hated learning scales early on and they made no sense but show me a tab of a song I loved inside out I could start to recognise scales and boxes on the fretboard and I bet if you put practise in the context of a song you love you will start to be able to read only half a tab and the rest will come naturally as you make your own mental maps of the fretboard and what sounds and emotions they create.
The right way of learning guitar is the way that works. Might sound redundant but it's true. There's no one true way to go at it. What I would suggest though is instead of practicing, play it. Basically find what you want to play, learn songs which when you play and it sounds like the songs, you're like and . Make your practice such that it doesn't feel like practice anymore. So maybe instead of going I wanna learn to tap and you start tapping the same scales or shape everyday, choose a song you like with tapping in it and learn it!
Learn basic chords and then try to learn some songs. That's a good way to learn by yourself. There is a ton of material out there on the internet. You can also find many beginner guides for free and be patient. Consistence is the Key ! Good luck.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
The right way of learning guitar is the way that works. Might sound redundant but it's true. There's no one true way to go at it. What I would suggest though is instead of practicing, play it. Basically find what you want to play, learn songs which when you play and it sounds like the songs, you're like and . Make your practice such that it doesn't feel like practice anymore. So maybe instead of going I wanna learn to tap and you start tapping the same scales or shape everyday, choose a song you like with tapping in it and learn it!

+1

Also justinguitar which mephaphil mentioned is excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by matiss.gutans
Hey im new to guitar. Recently bough it and im kinda not feeling full enjoyment from learning playing guitar. i try to practice every day for atleast and hour and at friday i do it like 3 hours or more. What you guys sugggest is it normal not to enjoy the "boring" part of grinding practices and not able to play anything or maybe i should learn what i want at the moment and gives me enjoyment or just keep with grindy excercises and dont get enjoyment?

You should learn whatever you want at any given time.

There are no set rules for how playing should be and thank god for that.

Just practise your weak spots at any given time. You will never run out.
Im just thinking if its normal to kinda have to force yourself to play guitar instead you just want to do it.
It depends, really. at the start it might be, it's not as much fun when you can't really play anything. I can't really remember
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd recommend getting some instructional book / CD packages in the style you're interested in. They've usually got songs arranged from beginner to intermediate or whatever, and if you buy a few of them you should find one that has music that inspires you to practice. They also tend to include info on theory and introduce new techniques in a logical manner - or at least the better ones do.
i kinda feel that i don't know where to start. Anyone can give a good guitar plan for learning? should know like all notes on guitar freatboard before learning chord switching?
If you really don't know where to start I'd really look into Justin Guitar Beginner Course.

It's split into sections and each section have 10 songs that use the techniques you've learnt.
Quote by matiss.gutans
i kinda feel that i don't know where to start. Anyone can give a good guitar plan for learning? should know like all notes on guitar freatboard before learning chord switching?

If that is the case look into different guitar areas from blues to metal to shred and everything else to get an idea of what you what you would want to learn.

Justin guitar looks great but if you do not know where to go you might not be so into it and discovering the fun of playing it.

The guitar is limitless and you can take it in any direction you want as far playing goes.

Knowing the basics is always essential but always have in mind where you are going with it.

I can relate to this as I did not know either back in 1988 but I had gotten a new Jasmine S60 acustic and did not have a clue on where to go or start. I had a teacher but he could not give me that sort overview of what you can achieve to get the idea of where to go. What did catch my ears was guitar riffs but it was not until 1990 and got into thrash metal that I got really into guitar. I have expanded since then.
Quote by jfreund
I will watch Marty Schwartz once in a while.

THIS! When I was just beginning, I loved Marty Schwartz's tutorials because he gives really simple ways to play very popular songs with only three or four basic open chords, which are often the same chords from song to song so it's a great fun way to practice the same basic open chords with different strumming patterns. BUT, i realized later that just playing is not enough so practicing is pretty much absolutely necessary for improvement. OP's doing the exact opposite of what I was doing in the beginning, which was all play and no practice. Try to mix both. It'll make practice sessions more fun. I second those who suggested JustinGuitar. I found his website a few years after I started guitar and it gave me a solid idea on what stuff I needed to work on as his beginner course goes through pretty much all the basic techniques, as well as ways to practice them. Man, I wish I found Justin earlier.
Quote by TheCasual2013
If you really don't know where to start I'd really look into Justin Guitar Beginner Course.

It's split into sections and each section have 10 songs that use the techniques you've learnt.

yeah exactly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Then watch some Igor Presnyakov on good ole Youtube... He will teach you how to work your right hand rhythm.
i personally was floored as soon as i learned "smoke on the water". guitar has always been interesting to me, but i never sat down and practiced chords and all the stuff. i just played songs i liked. such as stairway to heaven, knockin on heavens door, the trooper. and other simple classic rock stuff that anyone can play if you take it slow. learn to read tabs (super easy) and you can kinda learn any song with time and dedication.