Hello everybody, I hope you are all doing well!

As a guitar player that started playing several years ago, but had to stop due to some health problems, I am recently starting to get back into playing more seriously. I am however puzzled as to how do multi-effect systems work with guitar amps.

I have a Randall solid state amp (50w, model is obsolete now) and I'd like to know if I can use a multi-effects device like the Line 6 POD HD500X with it. I am particularly interested in tremolo, wah-wah and whammy effects, kind of what Tom Morello uses basically.

The reason I don't want to mess around with individual stompboxes is that I usually travel for business and I'd like to keep everything more simple. Do multi-effect systems just act as an all-in-one stompbox or are they aimed for a different use?

I hope I didn't piss anybody off with my lack of knowledge and I'd really appreciate an answer from the community, which I know is full of people that know their stuff! Thank you in advance!
I don't see why it wouldn't work but if you could tell us the exact model of your randall, just to be sure, that would help.

And yeah multi-fx are normally used instead of multiple stompboxes. they often have amp modelling etc. in them as well, these days.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes it will work. They are an all in one system. Cheaper ones dont have as many effects as more expensive ones do. The product description will list all the the effects that come with the unit.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't see why it wouldn't work but if you could tell us the exact model of your randall, just to be sure, that would help.

And yeah multi-fx are normally used instead of multiple stompboxes. they often have amp modelling etc. in them as well, these days.

It's an RG-50.
Last edited by Panos94 at Jul 18, 2014,
Thanks

I'm not really familiar with it ( ) but I'm sure it should be fine. Hopefully someone else who knows it can confirm, I'm not aware of any regular guitar amps which won't work with multi-fx, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A straight up multiFX would be something like the Line 6 M series. The PODs are notable because besides the FX, they have amp and cab modeling in them, meaning you can plug them into monitors or headphones, and everything you need to get a proper guitar sound is inside. MultiFX only have FX, and they will sound bad on their own, because they don't have any amp or cab modeling going on.

Unfortunately, a lot of the better MultiFX units are not strictly MultiFX, but also have the modeling. If you are going to use it with a real amp all the time, you don't need that. But it is still useful, as it lets you record easily or listen with headphones, without your amp.

If you're more interested in the FX than the amp modeling, take a loot at the Boss GT-100 as well. IMO, the GT units are better for FX, while the POD units are better for amp modeling. Both can do both, of course.

There's also a lot of other stuff out there by Digitech, Zoom and Vox, which I don't know a lot about because I've never been impressed or bothered with, but there are a few people around here who are quite fond of them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The reason I don't want to mess around with individual stompboxes is that I usually travel for business and I'd like to keep everything more simple. Do multi-effect systems just act as an all-in-one stompbox or are they aimed for a different use?

If you're traveling a lot and want to play in your hotel or what have you, your best bet is something like a portable digital modeler like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found) and some headphones:

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman...meaning they'll fit nicely in most gig bags or hardshell cases.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 18, 2014,
Check out the Zoom G5. It has fx, amp modeling, cab modeling, looper, drum track metronome, usb, sounds great with headphones, very easy and fast to use, cheap price but built well and cheesy lil icons that represent the pedal its copying ("Great Muff", Governor, Squeak, etc). There are better mfx but the G5 is excellent for the price.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i tend to use my computer when i am on the road because it is generally already with me. i will either use a 1/4" TS to an 1/8" TRS adapter and plug directly into the soundcard using a 1/8" TRS (ipod) audio cable or i use my sonuus i2m interface (very small and compact, about a little bigger than my thumb). then i use software like garageband, logic or amplitube.

this allows me to play along with songs and record if i am on the road.

these other devices listed by danny alcatraz also offer quite a bit of portability and functionality. but all of the options are quite robust and could serve your needs depending on what your preferences may be.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks to all of you for the replies, I will most probably search for something that doesn't do modelling, that will probably be more cheap too. Thanks again!

Quote by gumbilicious
i tend to use my computer when i am on the road because it is generally already with me. i will either use a 1/4" TS to an 1/8" TRS adapter and plug directly into the soundcard using a 1/8" TRS (ipod) audio cable or i use my sonuus i2m interface (very small and compact, about a little bigger than my thumb). then i use software like garageband, logic or amplitube.

this allows me to play along with songs and record if i am on the road.

these other devices listed by danny alcatraz also offer quite a bit of portability and functionality. but all of the options are quite robust and could serve your needs depending on what your preferences may be.

I as a matter of fact have tried the software solution, but results haven't been very successful. I'd also like a real multi fx so I can also gig with it. Thanks for the advice though!
Quote by Panos94
Thanks to all of you for the replies, I will most probably search for something that doesn't do modelling, that will probably be more cheap too. Thanks again!

modeling is generally just thrown in with the package now-a-days. i just looked at that top 10 cheapest multi effects devices available from sweetwater, 9 of them offered amp modeling. all of them were under 100 bucks.

i do admit, i have enjoyed modeling while i was on the road. i was reluctant to initially accept the technology, but when i just plug a guitar into a digital device and it actually sounds something like a guitar amp (complete with power section and speaker emulation) then that is pretty nice.

you don't have to use it if you don't want it either, you would just bypass it altogether.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
modeling is generally just thrown in with the package now-a-days. i just looked at that top 10 cheapest multi effects devices available from sweetwater, 9 of them offered amp modeling. all of them were under 100 bucks.

i do admit, i have enjoyed modeling while i was on the road. i was reluctant to initially accept the technology, but when i just plug a guitar into a digital device and it actually sounds something like a guitar amp (complete with power section and speaker emulation) then that is pretty nice.

you don't have to use it if you don't want it either, you would just bypass it altogether.

Hmm, indeed. Further search of the web indicates that most of the best multi-fx devices do have at least some sort of modelling in them and that's kinda unsuitable for me, cause the modelling capabilities raise the price significantly.