Been looking at multi-effects units, thinking I want to venture into one as an alternative to my stomp boxes and ever growing rig!

Had a look at the reviews of the Line 6 pods the Vox tonelabs and the Boss range.

Anyone have any suggestions of ones I might want to research? I'd like besides the regular effects (distortian, fuzz, delay, phaser etc) something with an Auto-Wah Envelope filter.
Last edited by La_Discoteca at Jul 20, 2014,
Quote by fly135
Zoom G5.

+1
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by fly135
Zoom G5.

+ G3 (unless you want an expression pedal)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks for the recommendations, so the Zoom G5 has an auto wah enveleope filter? i find the description with modulations hard to go by, all the specs online say 'phaser, chorus, delay and much much more' :P
Download the user manuals if they are available.

It'll give you a better idea of what each unit does, and I find it to be a fun part of the buying process.

Whether it's music gear, amateur radio stuff, astronomy or whatever, I'm often fully familiar with my new toy before it even arrives, and I can jump straight in
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by La_Discoteca
Thanks for the recommendations, so the Zoom G5 has an auto wah enveleope filter? i find the description with modulations hard to go by, all the specs online say 'phaser, chorus, delay and much much more' :P

The G3 definitely does, and I believe the effects options are identical between the two units.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
thanks a heaps guys! I'm from a generic garage rock background but I'm now venturing into playing 1980's electronic dance (Giorgio Moroder human league) and late 70's funk songs to mix it up a bit etc.

Just having fun with sounds at the moment but will look up more info on Zoom G3 and G5's and maybe look at some individual auto wahs as well!
If you're going to have a look at standalone pedals for your auto-wah, the EHX Worm is worthy of investigation. I use it as my only wah effect, but it also does Phase, Trem & Vibrato and has an input for an expression pedal so you can use it as a 'regular' wah.

Depends what you want from your auto wah though - the Worm is time based, which is what I wanted. EHX also make a range of filter pedals (Dr Q & Q-Tron) which respond to your playing rather than working at a consistently timed interval and this can be better for getting the 70s funk sound you're talking about.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
TC Electronic Nova or G-system.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I'm liking my GT-100 so far. It's definitely aimed at the gigging musician - so if that's what you want one for, I can recommend it. Got a real pro-muso feel to it. Very easy to program too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try this one from Tech 21:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Again, thanks for all your suggestions! After the last 12 hours of nothing but watching reviews and looking at user manuals online I'm thinking now I'll get a Zoom G5 and an EHX Q-tron plus! this way I have the option of having my large rig with a good envelope filter for electro dance etc and a Multi effects to play with that will suit my style and many others etc. I'm not very tech savvy and the Zooms intructions and use seems so much more user friendly to me.

funny 10 years ago when I started playing all the working Guitarists I knew would never have toucheds a multi effects unit! I've noticed in recent years however that many veteren guitarists are switching there massive Rigs for Line 6 and Zoom multi effects!
If your looking new check out the Boss GT-100 , it's the newest of the line and you might really like it.
I personally so far prefer the Boss GT-10 you would have to find one used . I'm new to the GT-100 so I'm not much help there yet. I've been digging into mine and so far prefer the GT-10.
The Quest for Tone.
Quote by La_Discoteca

funny 10 years ago when I started playing all the working Guitarists I knew would never have toucheds a multi effects unit! I've noticed in recent years however that many veteren guitarists are switching there massive Rigs for Line 6 and Zoom multi effects!

Things have changed. And venues have changed. The modelers have gotten very good indeed, and there's really not a lot of point to the tube amps. The venues have changed as well, and some sound guys are requiring low stage volumes. Despite the occasional wank who absolutely has to have his pants flapping (and who probably won't be asked back to the venue), sound guys are well aware that it's easier to set good sound when you don't have sound from the other instruments finding its way into each mike.

We're also able to be far more consistent with the modelers. If you're running full-range sound systems, you're able to set those sounds at home with headphones or recording monitors and run those same sounds direct into a good PA system with only minor tweaking at the venue. And they weigh less. I've got four 4x12s in storage, and even though I own about 15 tube amps, the big guns rarely come out (sometimes, for stage decoration...). You can tuck a Pod HD "bean" into a gig bag accessory pocket, and the floor models into modest carrying bags, and that's pretty much your rig if you've got a place that already has full-range output waiting for you.
**** the sound guy. If he can't cope with my RM100 being on stage he needs to find a new occupation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification