I'm willing to spend around 400-500$; so nothing too crazy.

I'm currently looking at the Peavey Vypyr VIP 3. It seems to have a lot of cool effects and versatility to accommodate acoustic, electric, and bass players, but I feel like I'm paying for versatility and effects that I won't even be using.

Although that amp has a lot of cool effects, I don't think I'll really touch them at all. I'm just looking for an amp with pretty slick tone. I'll probably only really play a lot of drop tuned metal / metalcore, and maybe some cleans. I want all my money to go towards the quality of the amp, and not the effects and versatility. Do you think the Peavey Vypyr is a good choice?

Any suggestions please? What do you think is my best bet to go for? Thanks in advance!
What environment are you playing in and are you willing to go used? If you can go loud as you want, JSX 212 or a jet city combo (50w, I think) can be had at that price.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
well it depends on what country you call home. So give us the closest city and we can ususaly find some good deals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
6505+ combo if ya ask me.
I'm not sure a jet city will sound modern enough for metalcore.

Also get a tube screamer type pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
6505+ combo if ya ask me.
I'm not sure a jet city will sound modern enough for metalcore.

Also get a tube screamer type pedal.

I was gonna suggest a 6505 but he said he wanted good cleans which is why I said JSX.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
JCA50H 1x12/2x12 with V30's or clones and an OD, EQ and maybe a chorus pedal.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Id stretch the budget an extra hundred and go jsx. A location would be very helpful because what might be xheap and plentiful in one area might cost a fortune in annother.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
If you'd like to try something off the beaten path... A Randall T2C 100 watt combo (or T2HL head) might suit your needs if you can find one ...very, very chunky/dynamic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiiNRxZ3DMI

I've got the head (T2HL) & it's sweet for just about any kind of modern heavy/extreme metal (not into metalcore personally)...also has great clean tones & shred/solo tones..

Plus, it's a hybrid (full tube preamp/tube buffered power amp) so no messing around changing tubes/biasing etc....

Mike Amott (Arch Enemy) & Gus G (Firewind etc) have sig versions of the larger/older 400 watt T2's....(probably cost a fair bit more though) and this one sounds pretty similar....just maybe a bit more organic/tubey.

Just throwing in another option
the orange amp sims on amplitube 3 are really awesome too. not sure if you have a decent pc or audio interface/monitors or anything though. just another fun option.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
mesa recto-o-verb? 1x12" 6505+ 1x12", XXX/JSX combo/ ultra+/ look used and you will find something.

in metal core its usually has a 5150/6505 and sometimes mixed with a mesa rec.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/