i just play rhythm and im learning all the AC/DC Malcolm parts i can. Is there any particular pedal that Malcolm uses to get that dirty sound other than a Gretch, 11's and talent?

Is it just gain like you might get out of an Ibanez Tube Screamer or just distortion like you might get out of a Rat?

Thanks!!
I don't believe Malcolm Young uses any pedals.

You'll sometimes see magazines etc publishing interviews with guitarists where they talk through their setup, with a diagram detailing the route through all their different pedals.

I saw a tongue-in-cheek one once, where they interviewed Malcolm and he talked through his set up. It went like this:

Guitar -> Cable -> Amp.

That said, what amp/guitar do you currently have?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I don't believe Malcolm Young uses any pedals.

You'll sometimes see magazines etc publishing interviews with guitarists where they talk through their setup, with a diagram detailing the route through all their different pedals.

I saw a tongue-in-cheek one once, where they interviewed Malcolm and he talked through his set up. It went like this:

Guitar -> Cable -> Amp.

That said, what amp/guitar do you currently have?

Thanks for the info Gary!

im just getting back into electric's. i currently only have a Fender Strat HSS, Fender Blues Jr Amp and a RAT distortion pedal. Also have a Fender Redondo accoustic
Last edited by marnold2000 at Jul 19, 2014,
With that kit, you'll probably want to use the humbucker pickup and have the amp clean with the Rat set to medium/heavyish gain. It won't be bang on the MY tone, but it should sound pretty good for that style.

Here's a page listing exactly what he uses:
http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/415-acdc-malcolm-young-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

And then remember that a lot of people believe 90% of tone is in the fingers, so your original comment of Gretsch, 11s and talent is pretty much the truth...you just forgot to mention Marshall!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud