Hi.(really sorry for any spelling mistakes)
recently i have been deciding either to buy a guitar build kit and a apm or just a guitar.
I decided to buy just the guitar.
but i dont know whic one to buy i was looking at gibson les paul lpj 2014 and a PRS SE Bernie Marsden Electric Guitar.(i like the color and the look of these two but i dont really know anything about pickups)
Now ill tell you about the other things..(i read this https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696 )
My budget is 900€ max
i like guns and roses, the beatles, oasis, ac dc, and this slovenian band called Šank rock ( a song from them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM9KuSBjExk )
My prefrences are les pauls ( can be a telecaster or a strat aswell)
and these brands (gibson, PRS, Fender ) can be other brands aswell
I want a new guitar.
I live in slovenia but i would order the guitar from this site http://www.gear4music.com/
My current gear is a Ibanez GRG170DX, fender mustang 1 amp(really want to swap out the amp tho xD) and a blackstar lt drive pedal.
Last edited by Extalius at Jul 19, 2014,
A gibson would likely work well for those tones- i haven't tried the new LPJs, though. that being said, any good quality dual humbucker guitar with specs similar to a gibson will also work

as you said it'd help to swap out the amp before long too, but if it means skimping on both the guitar and amp it maybe might make more sense to get one first and then save up for the other.

any particular reason why you want to buy from G4M? MAybe it's cheaper but thomann might be as cheap, plus will charge in euros and probably have free postage too (slovenia uses the euro, right? )

Yeah i just checked, they're a bit cheaper on thomann plus you won't be ripped on the exchange rate plus free postage (i assume) as well. might even leave you enough for an amp, too (jet cities are pretty great value on thomann, but if you want advice on an amp we can talk about that too).

as i said, though, i haven't tried the lpj, so that's not a recommendation
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i had a short look at that site thonmann you said
i like how they have older models of gibson guitars aswell
As you said swapping out the amp would be a good idea and i agree :P
The amp i have now has alot of presets and i hate using it. (the presets arent that good atleast for my taste) And maybe i would just buy a new amp. I rather have a new and better amp then a new guitar i think. Because the guitar i have is just fine for now.

So now ill tell you whic amp have i been looking at
its the Orange Crush CR120C
it has alot more power then the amp i have now (and it has no presets )
if you're ok with tube (you have to factor in things like tube changes, and biasing which needs an amp tech if you don't know how, since it's dangerous) i'd seriously consider those jet cities. They're crazy good value on thomann (also there's a UK Jet City online store but it's probably handier to just get from thomann, they'll have the same mains plug as you need, plus a 3-year warranty).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

(plus a speaker cable, NOT instrument cable. and maybe a digitech bad monkey or something like that to use as a boost.)

Only thing I'd say is, the jet cities are quite high gain (at least that one I linked to)- they do a tone more along the lines of guns n roses than some of that lighter stuff you listed. Supposedly the 2x12 combo is better for lower gain tones (http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5212rc.htm), but I haven't tried it- plus 2x12 combos are really, really heavy And the stock speakers aren't the best, and swapping two speakers can be expensive (that's why the head I listed is such a good deal, that cabinet which already has good speakers is also a silly good deal).

If you like your guitar you can also spend all of your money on an amp- that's another option, and might give you more options.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gh100l_02.htm (the pic's wrong in that link, it's showing the ironheart, I'd check before buying anything in case they send you the wrong thing ) is a hot-rod marshall amp which might be more aimed at the tones you want (again, with the cabinet I linked to above). It doesn't have a clean channel, though, so that'd be worth bearing in mind.

It's really a judgement call- I'm not sure the jet city is any worse than that laney, and is a lot cheaper, just it has a slightly more modern sound. And you could make a pretty good case for going with both a guitar and an amp in your situation, since your guitar is beginner quality too, assuming you don't have to make do with both a mediocre guitar and amp (which you don't, or at least you don't if you save up a little longer).

Just to check, since you're used to an ibanez which is pretty light and ergonomic, are you aware that les pauls can be heavy and that the upper-fret access isn't amazing? plenty of players like them despite that, but it's worth being aware of.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
its good that the cabinet and the head arent valves (assuming thats what tubes are xd)
dont the speakers with valves brake after a few years. (i dont really know much about these things so sorry if i said something dumb hahah)

and wow yeah the
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
are really cheap compared to the orange amp i was looking at
yeah tubes are the same thing as valves. americans tend to call them valves while british people call them tubes. I dunno why I call them tubes, too much time on mainly american-inhabited guitar forums I think

the speakers won't break- a speaker cabinet only is speakers in a plywood (or mdf/particleboard with cheaper cabinets) box, regardless of whether it's meant to be used with a tube or solid state amp. but the speaker cabinets designed to be used with tube amps tend to have better construction, materials and speakers in them.

But yeah every so often if you have a tube amp you'll have to replace the tubes. with any luck, not all that often- maybe every couple of years, maybe even more if you don't turn it up full all that often. But they're a bit like light bulbs in that they can fail whenever. and they cost a fair bit to replace when they do fail (plus as I said, you probably have to pay a tech to do it for you if you don't know what you're doing with an amp like the jet city which has to be biased- not all tube amps have to be biased).

As i said, I haven't tried the orange, but it's pretty much a glorified practice amp, as far as i'm aware. if the jet city is a lot cheaper than it, i'd think very long and hard about that. It's like getting a porsche for less than a hyundai, kind of thing. As long as you 're ok with the extra maintenance (and the cost of that maintenance), of course.

if you'd still prefer to go with a solid state amp, that's absolutely your prerogative.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 19, 2014,
how much do tubes cost?
and replacing them wouldnt be a problem my dad is a electrician (something like that xD i think he would know how to do it haha)
I've heard that amps with tubes need to heat up to get that really good sound is that true and how long does it take?
It depends, really. But for that 50 watt jet city head, you need two 6L6 power tubes (had a quick look at tube town in germany, they seem to be around or just under 20 euros each, so ~40 euros) and five 12AX7 preamp tubes (they're ~7.50 euros each, so that'd be ~40 euros again). That's for JJ tubes which are considered to be reasonably good quality modern production tubes (better quality than what comes stock in the amp).

You don't need to change them all at once, though- you need to get a matched pair for the power tubes (so the 2 power tubes need to be swapped at the same time), but the preamp tubes normally last longer than the power tubes, and the preamp tubes can also be swapped singly when required (I think) and don't need to be biased either, only the power tubes need to be biased.

If your dad is an electrican I'm guessing he could probably do it, but don't quote me on that, and he'd need to look up exactly what to do since tubes are a sort of old technology. You basically don't want him to electrocute himself, lol, and the filter caps can store charge and electrocute you even when the amp is turned off.

The heating up thing isn't anything to worry about. You won't get any sound at all for the first 30 seconds or so. Normally you leave it on standby for 1-2 minutes before starting to play and then it's just fine. Some people say the amp sounds better after heating up for a while longer than that, but I'd just play and if it gradually sounds better then that's all well and good. But you won't do the amp any harm as long as the tubes have warmed up for about 30 seconds before you start to play (and quite frankly it's debatable if even that's necessary, a lot of people act like tubes are a lot more fragile than they actually are, though obviously you don't want to be throwing the thing down the stairs or anything like that ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Man, you really need to get to a guitar store and just try them out for yourself. Everyone has different tastes, and one of the biggest mistakes you can make is buying something so personal and expensive at someone elses recommendation. Everyone has different preferences for the feel of the neck, the tone, etc.

I mean I have a friend whose guitar feels awful to me, but he loves the damn thing so much and thats cool for him. Just find out what you personally like.
Batbear i'm happy with the sound that my current guitar has
the only thing i'm not happy about is the amp :P
And before buying a guitar i would definetly try it in a store 1st then order it online (its cheaper).
But anyway i just asked for some advice on whats good and whats not :P since i know little about the specs of guitars/amps
Quote by Extalius
whats the difference between these two
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_24s.htm
and can a 50 watt head handle a 120watt speaker ??

the harley benton cabinet has far better speakers in it. if you prefer the cosmetics of the jet city cab you can get it and see how you like the stock speakers, and buy new speakers later (but it'll cost a lot more).

also the harley benton cabinet is a little bigger (possibly a little more bass, chug etc.). and the speakers are front-loaded (some people say that affects the tone slightly, personally )

And yeah don't worry about the wattage- it's the other way round. You want the speakers to have enough wattage to handle the head i.e. you want the cabinet wattage to be at least as much, preferably more, than the head's wattage.

Quote by batbear
Man, you really need to get to a guitar store and just try them out for yourself. Everyone has different tastes, and one of the biggest mistakes you can make is buying something so personal and expensive at someone elses recommendation. Everyone has different preferences for the feel of the neck, the tone, etc.

I mean I have a friend whose guitar feels awful to me, but he loves the damn thing so much and thats cool for him. Just find out what you personally like.

agreed, but it's not always possible if you live in an area with poor guitar shops

also if i were you i'd take that link out of your sig, you're not allowed to advertise other sites
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 19, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah tubes are the same thing as valves. americans tend to call them valves while british people call them tubes. I dunno why I call them tubes, too much time on mainly american-inhabited guitar forums I think
)

Actually, its "tubes" in the US too, at least around Cleveland (home of Lebron James, Wooo!).

I always thought "valves" was a European thing

Maybe its an age thing? Though, I know some crusty ol' bastards that call 'em tubes.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yeah Dave around the where i live there are guitar shops but they dont have a big choice of guitars :/
Quote by lucky1978
Actually, its "tubes" in the US too, at least around Cleveland (home of Lebron James, Wooo!).

Maybe its an age thing? Though, I know some crusty ol' bastards that call 'em tubes.

No it's that i'm a total idiot and got it backwards. It's absolutely tubes in the USA and valves in the UK.

Quote by Extalius
Yeah Dave around the where i live there are guitar shops but they dont have a big choice of guitars :/

yeah. it's the same here, at least to a certain extent- there are far worse places for guitar gear than northern ireland, but there are far better places, too. In that kind of situation I think buying online is just fine if you have no other option for the kit you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978

+1 i am in the US and i say 'tubes' and i thought most Europeans and Australians called them valves

(not that it really matters)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a 2013 LPJ and i can say that it is an excellent guitar.It plays and sounds just as nice as the LP Standard i had in around '06,Just without the bling.The pickups are not budget,They have been used in previous top spec Les Pauls.The ones in mine are a 490R and a 498T,IIRC in the 2014 models they are '61 Zebras,Not tried those.I've heard excellent things about the PRS SE range too though i've never played one.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 i am in the US and i say 'tubes' and i thought most Europeans and Australians called them valves

(not that it really matters)

No worries, you're absolutely right, I got confused and typed them the wrong way round by mistake Sorry for the confusion
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?