Hi, guys. I'm looking for stuff that can make my alternate picking better. Trying to make that Lukather/Sykes/Moore/Norum/etc influence sink in, but to play some (most) of their fast stuff I need monster right hand speed and accuracy. I know loads of exercises, got 'em from Gilbert, Petrucci, Lukather, Batio, Lane (even though Lane's exercises and licks tend to be too much for me regardless of speed)...all the fast pickers. But I find it more enjoyable and useful to learn stuff and get better while playing actual music, so, name a bunch of songs, from any genre, that can make me better at alternate picking/require lots of it. Any genre is fine (as long as it doesn't require 7 or more strings)

EDIT: oops, looks like I'm in the wrong section. Can someone move this to the right section?
Last edited by GuitarFan995 at Jul 19, 2014,
Symphony X - Inferno (unleash the fire) - main riff
Testament - more than meets the eye (1st solo)
Vivaldi - four seasons, summer - 3rd movement; winter 1st movement
mozzart - alla turca
Vinnie moore - the maze (some sweeping also)
Lamb of god - visitration (riffs)
Arch enemy - yesterday is dead and gone (riffs)
Take any song you like that you can´t play. You say you like Gilbert, Petrucci, Lukather, Batio, Shawn lane etc? Why not try some of their tunes? You can play anything, as long as you slow it down enough.

Maybe try Toto stuff like Hold the line, or Dream Theater stuff like the intro to "The test that stumped them all"? Perhaps try insane stuff like Scarified or Technical Difficulties? As said, as long as you slow it down enough, you can play it. Then it´s a matter of relaxation, time and patience.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Symphony X - Inferno (unleash the fire) - main riff
Testament - more than meets the eye (1st solo)
Vivaldi - four seasons, summer - 3rd movement; winter 1st movement
mozzart - alla turca
Vinnie moore - the maze (some sweeping also)
Lamb of god - visitration (riffs)
Arch enemy - yesterday is dead and gone (riffs)

Thanks, I know some of these, but never tried to play 'em, I'll definitely check 'em out.

Take any song you like that you can´t play. You say you like Gilbert, Petrucci, Lukather, Batio, Shawn lane etc? Why not try some of their tunes? You can play anything, as long as you slow it down enough.

Maybe try Toto stuff like Hold the line, or Dream Theater stuff like the intro to "The test that stumped them all"? Perhaps try insane stuff like Scarified or Technical Difficulties? As said, as long as you slow it down enough, you can play it. Then it´s a matter of relaxation, time and patience.

Hold the line, scarified, technical difficulties, the test that stumped them all. Gotcha. Yeah, one of my main problems is relaxation, I'm tense as s**t when I try to alternate pick properly, and end up stiffing up my wrist and picking from the elbow, which is a bad habit I definitely don't want to have. Anyway, it's not exactly true that you can play anything as long as you slow it down. Tried some classic Lane diminished licks, I can't even get my fingers on the fretboard properly.
Quote by GuitarFan995
Thanks, I know some of these, but never tried to play 'em, I'll definitely check 'em out.

Hold the line, scarified, technical difficulties, the test that stumped them all. Gotcha. Yeah, one of my main problems is relaxation, I'm tense as s**t when I try to alternate pick properly, and end up stiffing up my wrist and picking from the elbow, which is a bad habit I definitely don't want to have. Anyway, it's not exactly true that you can play anything as long as you slow it down. Tried some classic Lane diminished licks, I can't even get my fingers on the fretboard properly.

Oh well, you can play anything that doesn´t involve inhuman stretches.

Anyway, relaxation is key to great technique. You need to break that habit to get anywhere, picking from the elbow aint that great of a thing either.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Kill the king and 99 ways to die. I am not good at alternate picking but those songs really force me to do it.
Bach.

All aspects of your musicianship will skyrocket.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Sean0913
Flight of the Bumblebee

I second this- lots of crazy chromatic runs to get ALL the fingers working. This is probably why people play this song for "guitar speed world record" attempts.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by GuitarFan995
Hi, guys. I'm looking for stuff that can make my alternate picking better. Trying to make that Lukather/Sykes/Moore/Norum/etc influence sink in, but to play some (most) of their fast stuff I need monster right hand speed and accuracy. I know loads of exercises, got 'em from Gilbert, Petrucci, Lukather, Batio, Lane (even though Lane's exercises and licks tend to be too much for me regardless of speed)...all the fast pickers. But I find it more enjoyable and useful to learn stuff and get better while playing actual music, so, name a bunch of songs, from any genre, that can make me better at alternate picking/require lots of it. Any genre is fine (as long as it doesn't require 7 or more strings)

EDIT: oops, looks like I'm in the wrong section. Can someone move this to the right section?

Steve Morse has a tune called Tumeni notes ( or something to that effect) which would be great as a standalaone practice tune. It's on one of his solo albums (High tension Wires I think). Other than that, any Dream theater song would probably fit the bill.