Ok so I know there is a VK thread. But seriously at 575+ pages deep it is hard to find information. Plus half the links people posted in the past no longer work.

So does anyone use this amp for anything other then metal??? It seems no one plays grunge/alternative/funk/blues now a days.

So I've had this amp about a month and I am starting to realize the many set backs it has. But the money is spent and I enjoy tinkering so I am going to make this thing my own.

So I am going with a speaker swap to either a cannibus rex Or private Jack. I am really noticing the fizz on the distortion channel. So I wanted to go with some new preamp tubes while I'm at. I need less gain. Clearer. And leaning towards a fender-esq sound. Could someone give me some suggestions.

I know it's not a fender. It will never sound exactly like a fender. But I'm at my witts end with this thing. I know I can make it sound better.
Grab a 12at7 and put it in the slot closest to the input jack (I think thats where v1 is, I could be wrong), it'll help tame the fizz and gain.

I also like old GE, RCA and JJ preamp tubes. All would probably make a noticeable difference in the quality of tone.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
That speaker. Change it now. It's like the frumpy librarian taking off her spectacles and shaking her hair out to reveal the sexy cheerleader of your dreams. Or something akin. You get my drift. Metal players don't persist with the stock VK speaker(s) for all the same reasons.

The amp's a lot more Fenderish than you can hear right now:
Quote by Wiki
Our Clean channel is exactly a copy of the Fender: Twin Reverb, Bandmaster, Champ, Blackface, etc... Everything from the EQ cap values to the bright switched is ripped from the Normal Channel of any popular Fender amp. Let me hear you say the VK Clean channel sounds like crap.
We also got the "Cathodyne" or "Split-Load" Phase Inverter. Yes.... just like any pre 60's amps. Sounds beauitiful when cranked. Fender 5E3 Tweed Deluxe comes into mind. So we enjoy from both worlds... A beautiful Clean Channel & Nice Break-up Phase Inverter.
And yes, the lead channel does respond really well to tube changes as above. The clean channel also takes pedals really well if you still can't get the right dirty tones. Good luck.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
So I checked out Musicians Friend and the only choices I saw were jjs and slovteks. What would you guys recommend
What's in it currently? Pre & power.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Quote by Danustar
What's in it currently? Pre & power.

Honestly not even sure. I removed the covers but didn't take the tubes out of the amp. So whatever is stock.... Which to my understanding could be a few different things. But I'm guessing the power tubes are rubys?
everything i think you would ever need is in here: http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wikispaces.com/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Smigzy
Thanks for the link. But it just takes me to the home page. It won't let me into the site.

Check your system settings, works fine for me?

What do you see when you click the link? (Post a screenshot).
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Check your system settings, works fine for me?

What do you see when you click the link? (Post a screenshot).

i checked it again, works fine for me.

google "valveking wiki" it should be one of the first things up
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/