Hey guys. I'm interested in getting a Hartke LH500 but I have a slight issue with that.
The head has a 4Ohm impedance but Hartke don't make a cab matching its impedance that has enough wattage. Is it okay to match the 4 Ohm head with an 8Ohm cab?
(If it helps - The head is Tube)
Cheers
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Its preamp is tube but the power amp bit of it is solid state.

What this means is that 4 ohms is its minimum impedance- use a lower impedance total load (speaker cabinet or cabinets) and it'll fry. But you can use a higher impedance than that, and it'll be just fine, but it'll lower the wattage which it puts out.

According to its manual it puts out 350W at 8 ohms. That lower wattage will also make it easier to find suitable cabinets which can handle the wattage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Its preamp is tube but the power amp bit of it is solid state.

What this means is that 4 ohms is its minimum impedance- use a lower impedance total load (speaker cabinet or cabinets) and it'll fry. But you can use a higher impedance than that, and it'll be just fine, but it'll lower the wattage which it puts out.

According to its manual it puts out 350W at 8 ohms. That lower wattage will also make it easier to find suitable cabinets which can handle the wattage.

Awesome, so that means that I can use higher impedance cabs with it, right?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
^ Yeah. I mean it said in the manual that you could use an 8 ohm cab with it (and even quoted what the wattage would be if you did that), and even on the back of the thing it has two 8-ohm jack sockets. I'm guessing that means it's ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If only impedence was that simple... but as a general rule, you'll be more than fine with an 8 ohm cab.

Brilliant!
Cheers guys
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah. I mean it said in the manual that you could use an 8 ohm cab with it (and even quoted what the wattage would be if you did that), and even on the back of the thing it has two 8-ohm jack sockets. I'm guessing that means it's ok.

I'll do a big write up about impedence (and hopefully kickstart the new bass FAQ thread in the process). It's a lot more complicated than 'cab x is 8 ohm, cab y is 4 ohm.' Those a re what's called nominal impedence- depending on the frequency being played, the impedence can dip to as low as 2 ohms!
Oh absolutely, I'm aware it's frequency dependent, don't worry. I just meant that for the purpose of this thread and for what he wants, "It'll be fine" is probably a perfectly adequate answer. (I'm guessing that companies, when they say what impedance is safe to use, are also aware of this? I hope so, anyway )

Good luck with that FAQ thread. I'm currently in the process of trying to do one (actual several ones) for the guitar and G G&A forums, and it's a pain in the ass. Haven't actually done any work on it for a few weeks, I'd better get back to it at some point I suppose.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?