Hello everybody once again!

I currently own a Fender Stratocaster and would like my next guitar to be more on the heavier side.

I am currently thinking of getting an Ibanez RG721FM (I dunno if I'm allowed to post the link of an online dealership, so if you don't mind, search for it on the interwebz).

I am however a little hesitant as it seems to me that most of their models are kinda cheap for what they offer in terms of sound. They do have inferior specs in some areas in comparison with the "equivalent" ESP LTD/ESP E-II models and I know that some (if not all) of the Premium Ibanez models are made in Indonesia. But is there another catch? I mean I can understand if there are slight quality flaws in the setup or the finish, but can their "low" price be justified by the place of manufacture or do they lack in some other, more serious aspect that you can only know by have been playing one for some time?

Replies from long-time Ibanez owners are more than welcome, as of course are every one else's opinions. I hope I made myself understood, English is not my mother tongue you see! Thank you in advance!
I think all the premiums are made in Indonesia. I haven't tried them, I'd always (perhaps incorrectly and unfairly) err on the side of getting a japanese-made prestige if one is available at a similar price. The premiums also tend to use the cheaper trems in most cases, though that's not an issue with the model you're looking at since it's a hardtail.

I think the EIIs are Japanese made.

Also it's absolutely fine to link to online stores as long as you aren't advertising for them. If you're just a regular guitar player who wants advice links like that are absolutely encouraged since it saves us the bother of having to look them up ourselves
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think all the premiums are made in Indonesia. I haven't tried them, I'd always (perhaps incorrectly and unfairly) err on the side of getting a japanese-made prestige if one is available at a similar price. The premiums also tend to use the cheaper trems in most cases, though that's not an issue with the model you're looking at since it's a hardtail.

I think the EIIs are Japanese made.

Also it's absolutely fine to link to online stores as long as you aren't advertising for them. If you're just a regular guitar player who wants advice links like that are absolutely encouraged since it saves us the bother of having to look them up ourselves

The E-II are indeed made in Japan, in my mind I mistakenly have them and the Premiums set pretty much in the same level of quality sound-wise, although that's something that is changing bit by bit every day.

I'd like to know more of the cons of the Premiums since they are on the cheaper side of metal guitars. If the drawbacks are only on the sound and the tremolo (I never use one anyway) then I'm ok with it.

Tbh I'll probably end up getting that RG (link) since I can't afford the more expensive E-II's or Prestige ones.
Last edited by Panos94 at Jul 19, 2014,
Yeah I have to admit that that premium piqued my interest too, since it has no trem (I love trems but not poor quality ones ).

Just out of interest, what country are you in? I'm guessing you're in Europe since you linked to Thomann. Richtone in england has some of the Japanese-made Charvel Pro Mods in stock (and some more on the way) for around that kind of money, though they only have the tremolo models. Guitar Guitar (also in the UK) has some of the Japanese-made EVH signature models (though I haven't tried them) and some of them are hardtails (though slightly weirdly they also have a locking nut and fine tuners). They're more money at £700, though, and no case.

There are also some hardtail metal/hard-rock orientated Godins which might be around your budget and which might also be worth a look. The redline series, I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I live in Greece unfortunately and things are bad in terms of having a wide variety of guitars available at your local store. That's why I'm buying from Thomann, local dealerships don't even have that RG in their catalogs. >
As far as prices, they are about the same with Thomann and that's good considering that all of the products in there are sold for less than they are usually sold around the world. The problem therefore is variety and hands-on experience.

As for the budget, I was initially going for an axe between 800 and 1000 Euros (how much is that in pounds? ), but then realized that I may not be ready to make that big of a step yet. Maybe my third guitar can be a 2000 Euro guitar. That's why I was comparing that RG with a E-II Horizon III for example (link). I may be buying a multi-fx too so, I gotta make do with 1000 Euros for both a guitar and the multi-fx.
At the current exchange rate, 1000 euros is ~£800. I think a euro is worth roughly 79p currently.

I don't really have any experience with multifxes so I can't help with that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
At the current exchange rate, 1000 euros is ~£800. I think a euro is worth roughly 79p currently.

I don't really have any experience with multifxes so I can't help with that

Cool, thanks anyway for the tremolo info on those Premiums!
No worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?