Sup guys;
I just plugged a cheap Behringer OD300 into a Bass Big Muff (EHX) and it sounded AWESOME. But my question is: is it possible with this kind of extreme distortion to cut through the mix (I started distorting my bass because I'm playing with just one guitarist (and a drummer of course))? The sound reminds me a bit of Shane Embury (Napalm Death) and I love this kind of tone. (The order is Bass > OD300 > BBM; on the OD300 the drive is set to 9 o'clock and the Overdrive/Distortion Blend is set at 9 o'clock too, this way, with just this pedal on, I have a nice bluesy distortion (if that makes sense); on the BBM I have the sustain/distortion set to 3 o'clock and the tone set to 10 o'clock and the switch is set to dry (the blending option). Despite its a massively distorted and noise as hell, it retains some clarity and low end (I think the BBM isb oosting the low end); almost forgot my amp settings: Treble: 12 o'clock; Mids: 2 o'clock; Bass: 1 o'clock))
Will it cut through depends on the context. The frequencies occupied by the tone your guitarist is using will influence the frequencies you need to cut through efficiently. In this scenario, I think the best thing to do is to simply give it a go - it can't hurt to try it at a band practice. If it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan