Anyone have any recommendations on what head I should put on a Pork Pie Little Squealer snare? To be honest I am a guitar player but I have been around my brothers drum set for as long as he has had it so I like to think I can play them, I just don't know anything really about the gear itself! I have his drum set at my house until he has a place that will fit them, so yeah! The head he has is beat to hell and doesn't sound as good as it used to. I tried to find Pork Pie heads but my brief-ish search turned up nothing. the rest of his kit has Evans heads if that matters, thanks for the help!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Jul 19, 2014,
What kind of music are you playing?

The standard for most people is the Remo Ambassador, Evans makes the G1, which is basically the same thing. Those are single ply heads that may be too thin if you're a heavy hitter, or if you don't like ring on your snare.

The Remo Emperor is the standard for double ply heads - Evan's equivalent would be the G2. These will generally give you a fatter sound, with less ring. Less natural and open than an Ambassador, but still a great head.

Either of those is where I'd start, then go from there. There are so many types of heads, its really hard to narrow it down without knowing what you're going for, what the size of your snare is, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like single-ply heads coated with dots in the centre like the Aquarian Texture Coated Dot (what I'm using now), Evans Power Centre Reverse Dot or Remo Controlled Sound. To me, they have the best balance of sustain, sensitivity and durability.

But, like Matrix says, single ply heads like the G1 or 2-ply heads like the G2 are also good picks.

In terms of brand, they're all pretty much the same since they use the same material (Mylar) from the same manufacturer, so the only real differences will be down to the thicknesses of the heads, and they all make the same kinds haha. HOWEVER, I'd avoid Remo for white coated heads, since from personal experience the coating chips off much quicker on them than it does for the same heads from Aquarian or Evans
yeah I heard from some where else that pork pie basically uses Remo Ambassadors but with the pork pie logo on it, so I think I'm gonna try one of those!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by Lordyboy
I like single-ply heads coated with dots in the centre like the Aquarian Texture Coated Dot (what I'm using now), Evans Power Centre Reverse Dot or Remo Controlled Sound. To me, they have the best balance of sustain, sensitivity and durability.

Agreed, I'm really digging the Reverse Dot on my Acrolite and I use an HD Dry on my 14x8" stave cause it's insanely ringy otherwise. I actually have a clear Ludwig Silver Dot on my 13" segmented shell that sounds amazing as well... but I think it'd be best to start with a simple 1 or 2 ply head and go from there - no way to know what you like or don't like about a head without starting with something basic
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com