Hey guys!

I've been a serious player on and off for over a decade now, and these days I'm feeling pretty serious. I really want to hunker down and learn some theory and plenty more songs, however I need a little outside help on where to take this in the future.

I'm a fan of all different types of music, from rap to black metal. I'm in the market for a new guitar (in the 400-600 USD range) to sort of mark my rekindled passion for the instrument, however it becomes hard to choose where to go when the only sort of guitars you don't already have are for very specific types of music (traditionally).

So far I've been salivating over the Gretsch Electromatic series. I'd love a Double Jet goldtop for some low-fi and classic sort of tones. I've never gotten to play one of these as of yet, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with em' and if so how good they are.

I've also been really really wanting something a little more purpose built for shred/fusion and lead guitar A La Guthrie Govan. As someone who hasn't been in the market for that sort of guitar for over five years, I need your help to figure out what's great these days for the money!

So the TL;DR for this thread...

1. Have you tried the Gretsch Electromatic series, and if so, are they any good?

2. What's a great fusion/shred guitar for under 600 USD that has at least a little versatility (Please please no Floyds)

3. If you were in my shoes, which sort of guitar would you buy given that I already own the gear listed in my signature (and why would you make that choice)?

Thanks for your help!

Chance
Gear:

Main Rig-

PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 212 Combo
Martin OM-1

Apartment/ Travel Rig-

Squier Standard Tele
Roland Micro Cube
Martin Backpacker steel string
I used to own an Electromatic, it was ok but not really all that special besides the looks. Years ago I traded it for a Cort which I still have and ended up being an excellent trade.

Recently I went guitar shopping fully open to anything. After trying a shit ton of guitars priced between $400-$1200 (including the Electromatic) I ended up with an Epi ES339 that has horrible reviews but it just fit so well...**** reviews. Its always best to keep trying til you find your own guitar, imo. Especially if you have some experience.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
400-600 bucks is a lot of money just as a sign that you've rekindled your passion. If it means that much to you, go for it by all means. I think it's easy to get carried away and buy a lot of stuff you don't need when it comes to music though.

Best of luck to you!
You can never go wrong with a strat. if you play many different kinds of music its worth looking into id imagine. I can get some really cool tones using mine with some different pedals and a 12" Tube Amp like a blues jr. its a pretty budget set up that has alot of impact.. even though its all in your fingers, it still, none the less, was a good route for me. everyones different though.. good luck
Quote by batbear
400-600 bucks is a lot of money just as a sign that you've rekindled your passion. If it means that much to you, go for it by all means. I think it's easy to get carried away and buy a lot of stuff you don't need when it comes to music though.

Best of luck to you!

I sort of worded that wrong to be honest. It's less of a sign and more of a motivator to try new things. Know what I mean?

I'm really wanting a few recommendations from someone who knows a bit more about what's good in the world of superstrats these days than I do. Anyone got ideas?
Gear:

Main Rig-

PRS SE Singlecut
Martin OM-1

Apartment/ Travel Rig-

Squier Standard Tele
Roland Micro Cube
skip on that Gretsch Electromatic low end. if the sounded and played as great as they looked i would probably own one now. i had one and flipped it. no mojo from it at all.

if you want to have a 'shred' guitar, flyods can be very useful, but i understand that they are more work and some people just don't like them. if you were to go with a floyd type trem i would buy a used ibanez prestige. i have three (3350, 2570,1750) and they are great.

i don't know the price on it, but the iron label (shit now i can't remember the bridge) superstrat felt pretty nice.

if you want to be really cheap look into a fender showmaster, fender style saddled hardtail. they released them a decade ago and i got a celtic showmaster (single bucker) new for around $200 NEW. they aren't a ton out there.

do you want passive or active pickups?

going used a possibility?

sorry if i missed something. long day.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
skip on that Gretsch Electromatic low end. if the sounded and played as great as they looked i would probably own one now. i had one and flipped it. no mojo from it at all.

if you want to have a 'shred' guitar, flyods can be very useful, but i understand that they are more work and some people just don't like them. if you were to go with a floyd type trem i would buy a used ibanez prestige. i have three (3350, 2570,1750) and they are great.

i don't know the price on it, but the iron label (shit now i can't remember the bridge) superstrat felt pretty nice.

if you want to be really cheap look into a fender showmaster, fender style saddled hardtail. they released them a decade ago and i got a celtic showmaster (single bucker) new for around $200 NEW. they aren't a ton out there.

do you want passive or active pickups?

going used a possibility?

sorry if i missed something. long day.

Yeah a hard tail prestige might be nice. Any specific years to shoot for? I'll look into the other stuff too.

I don't mind a regular trem but Floyds and locking nuts to me are just too much to deal with and cheap ones don't stay in tune for shit. I'd really prefer to avoid a Floyd if at all possible.

Also.. Passive pups all day. Never cared for actives and the key here is versatility.

Used is definitely an option! I might even try and do some trade ins.
Gear:

Main Rig-

PRS SE Singlecut
Martin OM-1

Apartment/ Travel Rig-

Squier Standard Tele
Roland Micro Cube