I just wanted to share an experience, and to get feedback and hear similar experiences from those of you out there.

I was under the impression that the business world had moved on from the management philosophy that people were to be treated like machinery, and well, s***. Basically, fear being used as a motivator. But now, with the fraud, lawsuits, and opportunities constantly presented to skilled workers, I thought that those in an authoritative position realized that good personnel was their most valuable asset, and should be treated accordingly. Well, now I know some are not ready to accept this philosophy.

In a meeting that involved myself and partner of the CPA firm, owner of the client company, stockholders, and lawyer, the owner made it a point to call in a couple of his managers. What proceeded was a 10 minute verbal thrashing of them in front of aforementioned attendees. There was slamming of fists against the table, cursing, and he even put his hands on one of the guys (during a theoretical skit/stroking of the ego).

What was just as appalling as the clear intentions of the boss to humiliate his managers was how downright personal his insults had become. He had basically told one of them that he was an embarrassment, and gave a bad impression to the younger workers for living in an apartment instead of a house. Not only is this asinine, since his living situation likely reflects what the jacka** is paying him, but I don't believe a boss has any right to exercise such influence on an employee's personal life and spending.

What began the ego-stroking confrontation was his belief that the managers should have fired several employees for being unproductive. At least one, if not most of the employees being discussed were over 55, which would present legal issues; this was not even considered or brought to attention. Needless to say, the lawyer looked incredibly uncomfortable and put-off, as did everyone.

What this means to me is that this owner/boss looks for absolutely any opportunity to exercise his power beyond reason.

I personally hope that he gets taken to the cleaners in court for lawsuits presented by the elderly gentlemen that may be terminated, and that he gets shot by one of his undoubtedly miserable employees.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Sometimes you have to level up a few more times before you try taking on a boss.
superman is killing himself tonight
Ofcourse you are treated like machinery; you are a machine.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I can't believe I read that entire post composed of other people's problems.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I can't believe I read that entire post composed of other people's problems.

I read it too.

Two thumbs up, would read again.

That is how some people are dude. Give them power with money and they will treat everyone else like shit.
I don't know how you desk jockey types deal with this shit. If a guy said to me that I was an embarrassment for living in an apartment I would've dropped him right there and quit. Do none of you have any backbone? Do you guys have a department of labour type thing where you live? There's shit you can do about this that isn't violence. A lot of shit. If he did do what you say he did, he could be charged and fired easily. In Canada most of that stuff is straight up illegal.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

That's exactly how the old President of the company I worked treated supervisors.
Unfortunately he retired recently and left the s***abyss to another corrupt soul.
He most likely fled the country with his vast riches upon realization that he just about destroyed the company.
I don't think human beings are suited for that kind of authority and power.

And yes we are nothing more than organic machinery in this corrupt society.
I'm glad to see more people sharing their experiences and standing up for their rights as human beings.

The more useful one is to a corporation, the more one is in danger of the use scare tactics to ensure that they keep conforming and ignoring the important things in life.
Quote by naedauuf
I don't know how you desk jockey types deal with this shit. If a guy said to me that I was an embarrassment for living in an apartment I would've dropped him right there and quit. Do none of you have any backbone? Do you guys have a department of labour type thing where you live? There's shit you can do about this that isn't violence. A lot of shit. If he did do what you say he did, he could be charged and fired easily. In Canada most of that stuff is straight up illegal.

I have seen less extreme instances of a boss throwing a temper tantrum such as this, and the employee has responded the way that you described; but it is quite easy to find a job that pays comparably in my field once experience and education are achieved.

These managers, however, were new and used vehicles sales managers for an automobile dealership. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the industry, but money flows like water within a successful dealership, and you do not need a college education to become a manager within one. These jobs usually pay very, very well (the guy I mentioned earlier lived in an apartment temporarily due to a divorce, or something of that nature), much more than they would be making with that level of education anywhere else. Maybe they see the potential, and considering the alternative, just deal with it.
Quote by Baby Joel
Sometimes you have to level up a few more times before you try taking on a boss.

Or in the case of Dark Souls, avoid the first one entirely and fuck him up later.
If it makes you feel better, I read that some group took a survey and proved that I think it was 57% of men who drive a sporty car have a small penor.

Assuming he drives a sporty car.

I tried to find out where I read this, but I couldn't find it.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
TS has a different sporty car for each day of the week.
Smell ya later!
Quote by Hippy's Son
wow, these people are a bunch of stupid drama queens. everybody dies, idiots, not every guitar breaks.

UG's resident Pokemon Leauge Champion!
Pokemon RBY CYOA!
sounds miserable, the most i put up with is being bored out of my mind at work
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Skullivan
Or in the case of Dark Souls, avoid the first one entirely and fuck him up later.

Great, I just needed another reminder to get the game, didn't I
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by patriotplayer90
I just wanted to share an experience, and to get feedback and hear similar experiences from those of you out there.

I was under the impression that the business world had moved on from the management philosophy that people were to be treated like machinery, and well, s***. Basically, fear being used as a motivator. But now, with the fraud, lawsuits, and opportunities constantly presented to skilled workers, I thought that those in an authoritative position realized that good personnel was their most valuable asset, and should be treated accordingly. Well, now I know some are not ready to accept this philosophy.

In a meeting that involved myself and partner of the CPA firm, owner of the client company, stockholders, and lawyer, the owner made it a point to call in a couple of his managers. What proceeded was a 10 minute verbal thrashing of them in front of aforementioned attendees. There was slamming of fists against the table, cursing, and he even put his hands on one of the guys (during a theoretical skit/stroking of the ego).

What was just as appalling as the clear intentions of the boss to humiliate his managers was how downright personal his insults had become. He had basically told one of them that he was an embarrassment, and gave a bad impression to the younger workers for living in an apartment instead of a house. Not only is this asinine, since his living situation likely reflects what the jacka** is paying him, but I don't believe a boss has any right to exercise such influence on an employee's personal life and spending.

What began the ego-stroking confrontation was his belief that the managers should have fired several employees for being unproductive. At least one, if not most of the employees being discussed were over 55, which would present legal issues; this was not even considered or brought to attention. Needless to say, the lawyer looked incredibly uncomfortable and put-off, as did everyone.

What this means to me is that this owner/boss looks for absolutely any opportunity to exercise his power beyond reason.

I personally hope that he gets taken to the cleaners in court for lawsuits presented by the elderly gentlemen that may be terminated, and that he gets shot by one of his undoubtedly miserable employees.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Sounds like the owner is just an asshole. Who cares, as long as you get paid and you don't have to really work with him, right? If it's that important to you then go somewhere else with an owner you like, but it really seems weird to get very upset about.
I was under the impression that the business world had moved on from the management philosophy that people were to be treated like machinery

Who, what, where, when, and why the **** where you ever under that impression?
Yeah some bosses suck.

I remember when I was working my shitty trolley pushing job. In this job I had to collect trolleys from the car park, on a sub/ground level area, and push them back to the shop which was 1 story above, up either a travelator moving ramp, or up a concrete ramp. The travelator takes about 40 seconds but taking the concrete ramp outside is a significantly longer route. Due to health and safety you can only transport 8 trolleys (still quite a mass of metal) at a time.

One summers day the travelator was out of order broken. It was the hottest day of summer and extremely busy, and in addition only 2 of us were working due to the other people being on holidays or whatever. So the two of us were struggling pushing these trolleys up to the shop in 30ish degree heat. It was horrible and we couldn't keep up to demand of the customers wanting trolleys and eventually the bay went empty.

This resulted in some stupid woman from accounts coming down for some reason and giving us a bollocking for not doing our job properly, when we were doing our best with the limited manpower we had. She told us we weren't allowed breaks any more, which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

So glad I've left that job now, the shop was incredibly mismanaged and they tried to fire me so many times but I needed the money at the time.
my boss is p awesome tho
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
If it makes you feel better, I read that some group took a survey and proved that I think it was 57% of men who drive a sporty car have a small penor.

Assuming he drives a sporty car.

I tried to find out where I read this, but I couldn't find it.

If "small" is defined by below average, then almost by definition 50% of a random group would have a small penis.
Quote by MadClownDisease
If "small" is defined by below average, then almost by definition 50% of a random group would have a small penis.
Well, they specified inches too. Again, I don't remember the details of that article. Not like I'd want to permanently engrave that info in my brain, for some reason.

I just tried to find it again, but couldn't. Found this though. It's kind of similar. Only instead of measurements, they asked the wives themselves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2610393/Are-men-drive-flashy-sports-cars-REALLY-trying-make-little-disappointing-Their-wives-say-YES.html
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
No. All my bosses lived in fear of me, because I'm so great, and they're so shit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In his world, unicorns fart rainbows and we use this to power dreamweavers and happydoowas.

His world sounds fantastic
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!