I'm looking at getting a new amp and these may be what I've narrowed my choices down to. I play mostly Thrash and Death metal but I am also wanting something with some nice clean tones and my budget would allow for either one. I'm just looking for an honest pros and cons list.
The 6505 isn't really know for it's clean tones, but that amp is light years ahead of the Blackstar. I'd say 6505.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Your budget, New or Used prices? And what is your budget?

If new, you can get a 5150 III 50 watt. It will do modern metal and get you nice clean tones.

Even cheaper if you look for a used 5150 III. Probably $750 - $800. Somewhere around there.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah a 5150 III isn't a bad idea. Are you willing to go used?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
between those two amps, the 6505 owns the Blackstar. Seriously go to a music store and turn the blackstar past 2, your ears will wonder what happened to ANY tone that might have of been in that amp. However the 6505 sounds great loud.
Used mesa maybe? I can't in good faith recomend a 5153 for death and/or thrash metal. Its an alright amp but its not what your looking for tonewise.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Used mesa maybe? I can't in good faith recomend a 5153 for death and/or thrash metal. Its an alright amp but its not what your looking for tonewise.

There's a lot of REALLY heavy bands that use them (Gojira, Whitechapel are a couple that have). I think it'd be alright for what he wants
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain

There's a lot of REALLY heavy bands that use them (Gojira, Whitechapel are a couple that have). I think it'd be alright for what he wants

To be fair, they use the 100W versions. I personally find the 50W to be very lacking in balls and that modern aggression in comparison.

TS, check out the 6505+ or 5150 II. They are basically better than the regular 6505/5150 in all aspects, most notably in cleans, unless you're after that very specific small but notable increase in aggressiveness.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Doesn't seem to be any liking to the BlackStar amps. I personally agree so far but I have not played the HT metal amp yet and really want to.
The 6505 clean channel IMO sucks. It's not clean it's gritty. If gritty work for you then the 6505 is a wonderful amp. I love the drive channel in it and really think it's one of the best around. But the clean channel stops me from owning it.
The Quest for Tone.
I played an HT Metal not expecting much, and that's just what it delivered -- nothing extraordinary. The only thing it has on a 6505 is a better clean tone. But if you're buying an amp for death metal, I'd assumehigh gain tone is a priority. A 6505/5150 will slay the Blackstar every time in that department. Also, there are things you can do to get more than decent cleans out of a 6505 (tubes).

I would also look into the EVH 5150 III, but realize it does not sound like the Peavey variants; Peaveys just have more balls, I dont care what anybody says. I didnt really like the EVH when I tried it, and that was the 100 watt version. But I saw Decapitated using them and they sounded brutal. Just try before you buy, is what I'm saying.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by mantis101

The 6505 clean channel IMO sucks. It's not clean it's gritty. If gritty work for you then the 6505 is a wonderful amp. I love the drive channel in it and really think it's one of the best around. But the clean channel stops me from owning it.

User error. I made this forever ago. It's not even a Plus model with the shared EQ. Didn't even have anything special going on in it tubewise, just JJs. If you throw a 12AT7 or a 12AU7 in there, you can get it even cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CczyAjH0WNo

EDIT: Also want to point out that 2/3 of the guitars I used had very high output pickups (DiMarzio D Activators & EMG 60).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 20, 2014,
I would go for the 6505. It's absolutely bone-crushing for metal tones.

To get decent cleans, use the clean channel with the pre gain low. Add a bit of reverb, chorus, or delay and your set. The cleans aren't as bad as the internet makes them out to be. Yes, an emg 81 turned all the way up will distort the clean channel easily, but if you roll back the volume on the guitar a bit you'll be fine live. If you want studio clean fender tones, this isn't the right amp, but live it will do the trick for cleans.

A lower gain tube in the phase inverter slot (12at7) will also help a bit without sacrificing your distorted tone.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Jul 20, 2014,