Ive been playing electric for a few years now and i have landed myself at the point of bordem. I haven't ever got to this point yet and its weird because im better than i ever have been. I feel im playing the same things over and over in different context. i dont have much video of me playing at all but just in general looking for some advice from people who found themself in the same situation and were able to jump out of it... I have been concentrating on trying to play to much lead guitar over jam tracks and have lost my "mojo" in the rhythm section. Im stuck in the "minor pentatonic phase".. and as well struggling getting my rhythm guitar improv on... What did you guys do to get over you hump...
You've answered your own question the reason why you're stuck in a rut right now is because you keep playing the same thing over, and over again. My advice to you would be to go on and challenge yourself, and if you're looking to improvise with rhythm guitar study funk guitar.

Quote by Black_devils
You've answered your own question the reason why you're stuck in a rut right now is because you keep playing the same thing over, and over again. My advice to you would be to go on and challenge yourself, and if you're looking to improvise with rhythm guitar study funk guitar.

Well I don't necessarily play the same thing over and over what i mean by that is i kinda tend to play in minor key only. my ear is sick of hearing that same old minor chord progression. I haven't don't enough studying of major scales and chords to spice it up.. i mean i know very basic major scales and chords obviously but just not very.. fluent? i guess?.. to my playing in major scales / progressions... and even minor lately it feels like but yaa... i guess i might have answered myself. just thought id try and get some ideas.
As far as lead guitar.I got stuck in the same rut a few years ago.Now i'm experimenting with playing over each chord instead of just rambling around in a minor pent for a full progression.I've opened up a whole new can of worms for myself and i'm loving the guitar again.Now i play Major,Mixalydian,Dorian,Melodic Minor,Aeolian,Harmonic minor and so on to get all kinds of new ideas and sounds.You can make a very simple chord progression sound really interesting.You're not actually "stuck" in anything,You just think you are.
As far as rythym guitar,Funk is a very good style to learn.
Quote by EyeballPaul
As far as lead guitar.I got stuck in the same rut a few years ago.Now i'm experimenting with playing over each chord instead of just rambling around in a minor pent for a full progression.I've opened up a whole new can of worms for myself and i'm loving the guitar again.Now i play Major,Mixalydian,Dorian,Melodic Minor,Aeolian,Harmonic minor and so on to get all kinds of new ideas and sounds.You can make a very simple chord progression sound really interesting.You're not actually "stuck" in anything,You just think you are.
As far as rythym guitar,Funk is a very good style to learn.

Ya funk guitar is pretty fun. i havent got much into it but the little bit i do know is just fun to play in general. im trying to get a video together of me playing some random stuff. maybe get some advice on what im doing right or what im doing wrong.
Whenever something becomes enough it is time to change it around.

You either cut down on it or you might ad something completely different to spice it up.

So enough minor? Right onto major or whatever else you want.

Always practise your weak spots! That will make the rut go away for a life time.
Quote by anders.jorgense
Whenever something becomes enough it is time to change it around.

You either cut down on it or you might ad something completely different to spice it up.

So enough minor? Right onto major or whatever else you want.

Always practise your weak spots! That will make the rut go away for a life time.

Yeah this.I was stuck for years or so i thought.Now i can't get enough of learning guitar,I love it again.Since i've got older my ears have veered away from the rocky shreddy stuff i used to love and i'm really liking jazz and fusiony stuff.
Quote by EyeballPaul
Yeah this.I was stuck for years or so i thought.Now i can't get enough of learning guitar,I love it again.Since i've got older my ears have veered away from the rocky shreddy stuff i used to love and i'm really liking jazz and fusiony stuff.

That seems to be what my ear likes to hear too... ive always been down with you know like acdc was my first band that i thought was just outa this world then it goes around from zep to pearl jam, to alice in chains, to hendrix, to nirvana etc... but now im getting really grounded into the jazz/fusion arts... its just really exciting and fun to play guitar over.. im getting really into jeff buckley lately and i just cant seem to play his songs. i mean i prolly could if i stoped being so lazy but he is always playing in weird scales and weird chords with weird tunings. but his work is outa this world.
force yourself to explore some of the "dark areas" of the fretboard where you dont normally go. for instance we all have our habits like maybe we go up the pentatonic box and then bend a note on the top string. Instead try going up the fretboard on 2 strings only, or starting in the a-minor box work your way down to the low f note on the first fret and find your way back to the a minor box etc.

Pick a target note a ways away and try to see how many logical ways you can get there
Quote by JohnProphet
force yourself to explore some of the "dark areas" of the fretboard where you dont normally go. for instance we all have our habits like maybe we go up the pentatonic box and then bend a note on the top string. Instead try going up the fretboard on 2 strings only, or starting in the a-minor box work your way down to the low f note on the first fret and find your way back to the a minor box etc.

Pick a target note a ways away and try to see how many logical ways you can get there

Hmmm very interestingly put... im gunna have a good go at this. ill get back at you.. thanks..