So yeah, I have a Japanese Ibanez RG520, that I'm just not very happy with, tonally. It has a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck.

Bridge: Basically, the Distortion just has too much output. It's also too bright, the high end really takes over with chords, yet there isn't a whole lot of string separation and chord definition. The high notes are just a bit too bright and thin, to the point of being really obnoxious, which I really hate.

Neck: The Jazz is okay EQ-wise, but it is just boring. I want something with a little bit more output, and I think a bit more midrange (the whole shebang, more low mids all the way up to more high mids).

For reference, I am happier with the tones from my S420 with a DiMarzio D Activator set, and my H-301 with a Seymour Duncan Full Shred set. I am playing through my POD HD500X pretty much exclusively.

Budget is $100-150 for both, preferably used if I can find them but whatevs. Basically any of the big name brands.

I have my own ideas, but I'm curious to know what you would suggest as well.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Since you don't want that much distortion I'd suggest steering away from EMG's and probably try another SD combo.
To be quite honest there are so many different combos with those pickups, that there's no point in me telling you to try a particular one. I'd do away with the Jazz pickups on the neck and go for something more "normal". For example the SH-14 is a very good pickup, but I dunno if it's going to be a lot different from your current one.
Do you want totally the opposite of what you don't like about them (i.e. the sledgehammer cracking a walnut type of solution) or do you want a more subtle improvement?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i know S series is a little different from the RG, but i threw a crunchlab and liquifire in my Prestige 2570EVSL, bam. hit the point. i like them more than the TZ/AN that came stock on my 3550MZ.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-John-Petrucci-Pickup-Set-109588053-i1743372.gc?nce=1

i got mine for like $120 (as a set) brand new. i guess they jacked up prices. assholes.

but i am very happy with the end result on the CL/LQ.

then again if you want active, i like he 85/60 (bridge/neck) together, but i haven't tried any other brands' active pickups extensively.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/