I've recently acquired an Epiphone SG. The guitar currently has no strings on it and for some reason the bridge and tailpiece are not fastened to the guitar. Is this normal or are they supposed to be attached in some way?

I've read that with the tailpiece it's fine if you just put strings on the guitar, is this the same with the bridge? On my LP the bridge and tailpiece are actually fastened.
Last edited by lah2012 at Jul 20, 2014,
some more recent Les Pauls and SGs have bridges that lock onto the bridge posts so they don't fall off and don't need to be fixed in place by any other means when you take off all the strings, but it's usually completely normal for a tune-o-matic bridge to be sitting loose on the bridge posts so it can easily be lifted off if there's no string tension to hold it in place.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
some more recent Les Pauls and SGs have bridges that lock onto the bridge posts so they don't fall off and don't need to be fixed in place by any other means when you take off all the strings, but it's usually completely normal for a tune-o-matic bridge to be sitting loose on the bridge posts so it can easily be lifted off if there's no string tension to hold it in place.

Thanks for the reply, I'll throw some strings on it now