Whats up everyone?
So for years I have been using Boss pedals and Multi effects units. My First Multi effects was the GT-8. This was super cool and really could do a lot of things.
I'm a Home Audio Video Installer/ Programmer/ Service Technician and Macro based operations is how I'm wired. When I got the GT-8 I thought this is it. Now I can press one button or foot stomp and make everything happen that I want. So for example, I can be playing my clean channel with Chorus reverb and Delay which setup sounds amazing for some of the stuff I write. Then with one press to another patch I can switch amp channels to my drive channel, remove the Reverb and Chorus but leave Delay and even with different setting on the delay all together. As a guitar player this is what I always knew I wanted as When I had all pedals , I had to press all that myself. During a song it sucked as you could miss a beat doing so getting everything setup the way you wanted. You would also need multiple pedals for Delay so you can have different settings for different things. Not anymore with the GT series.

So with all that being said I found an issue with it, tone suck out. My amp didn't sound the same when the GT was wired in the chain as it did with just pedals or nothing at all. This I pained through but then I sold it and went back to pedals.
With the loss of the Macro based set ups I started to search for another way. I found the TC system in the G I believe it was back then where you could manage all your pedals with this routing system. It was very expensive if you add in the cost of it plus all the pedals you want to use. I didn't find value in it.

So The GT-10 came out and Boss was bragging how much better it was and how much time and effort they put into building it. So I went for it actually made a nice trade with a friend of mine who purchased it and hated it as it thought it was way to hard to use. I had experience with the GT-8 so I was half way there. I made the trade and started digging in.
The GT-10 absolutely sounded much better then the GT-8. Especially the Amp modelers. This is something I fool around with but don't use often. I really like my clean and drive channel of my amp so most of my patches I built where around them.
Over time I fooled around with the amp modelers , I actually started to really like a few of them. The Soldano , Marshall and Mesa Boogie where all pretty nice. Nothing like a real amp but good enough for some flexibility and some fun patches. So I started using the Soldano the most and really tweaked it to perfection where it almost sounded like a real preamp Tube like.
With the GT-10 you still use the Tube amp part of your amp as the Ruturn is the output of the GT when in 4 cable method. This allows you to either use the internal preamp of your amp or bypass it altogether and use the built in preamps of the GT. They all do that the 8 10 and I'll get to it 100.

The GT-100 came out and I watched all the videos on it and then the released this version 2 and really hyped it up. Honestly there are times I pull the GT-10 out and just play straight through my amp as nothing sound better then a direct connection no effects just my guitar cord and thats it. The GT-10 sucks out some tone but after years of tweaking it, I got it close. I traded in my GT-10 for the GT-100 and this is after I tried it out I'd say a year ago or so and didn't really like it. But the claims of a more natural organic sound got the best of me and i decided to go for it.

Funny the first one I took home was defective. It sounded awful and I wanted my GT-10 back. I could not make it sound right. I setup the outputs correctly , wired in 4 cable method , made sure the return was setup right, checked my send and return levels, guitar input levels , I went over this thing with a fine tooth comb. I even put it out front of my amp going into my preamp and setting it up as such. No dice as it sounded like ass cloudy and kept feeding back.
I deemed it bad and my goal was to get my money back and my GT-10. I talked to the Manager and he said they had another one in stock and if I wanted I could swap it on the spot. So I gave it one last effort and took the new one home.

So the first one was running version 1.06. This one is running 1.05. Ok older unit has been sitting on the shelf a bit longer but if it works right I'll keep it and upgrade to the new 2.0 and beyond version of software/firmware. I hooked it up and it sounded correct. I bit dark and overly warm but didn't sound nothing like the first one. So I downloaded the new Software , the computer editor software, drivers etc and updated it completely.
So I was trying out some of the factory patches wired in the 4 cable method which bypasses your internal preamp and goes directly to your amp in the return of the effects loop and I couldn't find 1 single patch that I even liked. On the GT-10 there was many cool prebuilt patches that sounded pretty good and much better after I dialed them in myself with minor tweaks. No so with the GT-100 , it's like they drove the bass and kids up way to high , cut the top end and used OD in front of everything. So overly effected that the sound didn't sound natural at all. So Processed.

I was able to get my preamps in line, add some delay , reverb and Chorus and made 2 patches that I like and sound pretty good. I dialed it in to where I could sit down and play and not keep dialing in. but I got to be honest I think the GT-10 sounded better in many ways. It didn't sound so processed. I could be that I had that thing so dialed in and I don't with the GT-100 that I'm judging a bit to early but the claims of the GT-100 being so superior to the GT-10 for me is very false.

I'm gonna give it a week or so and see if I can get this thing to sound as good or better then what I build with the GT-10. I was however curious if anyone else had experience with the GT boards. Do you really like the GT-100 over the GT-10? So far I do not.
The Quest for Tone.
I don't like any of them.

Have you ever tried an Eleven Rack? You can get them mega cheap these days and can use them with external floor board controllers and have much better sounding amp/cab simulations and effects.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

No never heard of them but I'm gonna look them up. Sounds interesting
The Quest for Tone.
I don't understand the point of judging the built in presets. Who cares? No one will ever have the same ear and preferences as you. Whenever I get any kind of DSP, I always start from complete scratch, 90% of the time don't even scroll through the presets.

It really sounds like you're judging the new unit which you haven't really tried to dial in, against the older unit that you spent a ton of time dialing in. That's not fair, and of course you won't like the new one as much. You're not comfortable with it.

I had a GT-10 for a while. I used it to control my 6505, had some standalone pedals routed through it too. It was a very sick setup. But too much going on for me. Way too many cables. 4 cables, plus the footswitch cable, not counting power. Way too much clutter and mess, I hated it.

Now that whole setup is gone, and I use my Line 6 POD HD500X pretty much exclusively, through my computer speakers or headphones.

If you're really invested into your gear and your setup, and obviously you appreciate the simplicity that is available, you should think about just running a Fractal Axe FX setup.

Alternatively, you can invest in a MIDI / true bypass loop routing setup. Expensive, yes. But at some point you gotta have an end game, and for how much time and money you've invested into Boss GT units, you could just skip the middle man and have a perfect setup. Preferable set up in a rack mount so you don't have a million cables running across the floor.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I bought a GT-100 recently. Yes most of the presets are crap, I don't see why that is so important. The thing is obviously aimed at gigging musicians and the interface reflects that. The thing is stoopid simple to program and there are 200 user programmable presets.
All those knobs and buttons along with the dual screen make it one of the easiest things to drive this side of a single stomp box. So if you can't program something you want then you aren't trying. I was trying to decide between a HD500X and a GT-100 and I went for the GT-100 because I wanted a live gigging rig to use in conjunction with a real amp (mine is MIDI switchable).
The GT-100 may not be as good at amp modeling or for recording (no mic input) but it isn't aimed at bedroom warriors, it's aimed at serious gigging musicians and it does that well. I don't regret buying it at all, well not yet anyway.

It's the interface that has impressed me most. I have the screen editor for it but I haven't bothered with it because the thing is just so, so easy to drive from the front panel. It's a working muso's dream.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
I don't understand the point of judging the built in presets. Who cares? No one will ever have the same ear and preferences as you. Whenever I get any kind of DSP, I always start from complete scratch, 90% of the time don't even scroll through the presets.

It really sounds like you're judging the new unit which you haven't really tried to dial in, against the older unit that you spent a ton of time dialing in. That's not fair, and of course you won't like the new one as much. You're not comfortable with it.

I had a GT-10 for a while. I used it to control my 6505, had some standalone pedals routed through it too. It was a very sick setup. But too much going on for me. Way too many cables. 4 cables, plus the footswitch cable, not counting power. Way too much clutter and mess, I hated it.

Now that whole setup is gone, and I use my Line 6 POD HD500X pretty much exclusively, through my computer speakers or headphones.

If you're really invested into your gear and your setup, and obviously you appreciate the simplicity that is available, you should think about just running a Fractal Axe FX setup.

Alternatively, you can invest in a MIDI / true bypass loop routing setup. Expensive, yes. But at some point you gotta have an end game, and for how much time and money you've invested into Boss GT units, you could just skip the middle man and have a perfect setup. Preferable set up in a rack mount so you don't have a million cables running across the floor.

I don't use any of the presets so honestly it means nothing. I was just giving them a go and noticed a general muddiness to them all.
I have however spend sometime with it now and I got my amps preamps setup wonderfully. I got some really good patches going with Delay on the drive channel and Chorus, reverb and Delay on the cleans.
I was a bit nervous as the first one I took home was defective.
Thanks for the comments and advise.
The Quest for Tone.
Quote by Cathbard
I bought a GT-100 recently. Yes most of the presets are crap, I don't see why that is so important. The thing is obviously aimed at gigging musicians and the interface reflects that. The thing is stoopid simple to program and there are 200 user programmable presets.
All those knobs and buttons along with the dual screen make it one of the easiest things to drive this side of a single stomp box. So if you can't program something you want then you aren't trying. I was trying to decide between a HD500X and a GT-100 and I went for the GT-100 because I wanted a live gigging rig to use in conjunction with a real amp (mine is MIDI switchable).
The GT-100 may not be as good at amp modeling or for recording (no mic input) but it isn't aimed at bedroom warriors, it's aimed at serious gigging musicians and it does that well. I don't regret buying it at all, well not yet anyway.

It's the interface that has impressed me most. I have the screen editor for it but I haven't bothered with it because the thing is just so, so easy to drive from the front panel. It's a working muso's dream.

Cool man hey do you know how to reassign the Loop pedal for lets say turn on and off an OD? I can't seem to figure it out. I got the CTR pedal to do what I want but just can't figure out the loop pedal.
Any thoughts?
The Quest for Tone.
I don't think that you can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mantis101
I got the CTR pedal to do what I want but just can't figure out the loop pedal.
Any thoughts?

The setting should be somewhere in the global menu or assigns menu or master menu. It's well hidden. If you use it that way then the looper function won't work anymore on a given patch or maybe globally over all patches.
Are you using the 4cm correctly? The point of the 4cm is to not use the unit's preamp and use the amp's instead. Every preset uses the unit's preamps. So by using them, you're essentially defeating the purpose of using the 4cm. And make sure the output correct because you might be using cabinet and mic sims. And above all, make sure the s/r is in the correct spot in the chain.
Drop the boss MFX and get a POD HD.
Those boss MFX units sound like 90's technology.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by JELIFISH19
Are you using the 4cm correctly? The point of the 4cm is to not use the unit's preamp and use the amp's instead. Every preset uses the unit's preamps. So by using them, you're essentially defeating the purpose of using the 4cm. And make sure the output correct because you might be using cabinet and mic sims. And above all, make sure the s/r is in the correct spot in the chain.

Yes I'm using the 4CM correctly. With the 4Cm you can use your amps preamps OR the built in ones in the GT units. I mostly only use my Amps preamps with the Gt's effects. It's really the reason I keep buying them. I have owned 3 of them now.
I spent some time with it over the last week and got comfortable with it and honestly it's the best sounding unit out of all the ones I had.
I'm now able to get my amps tone about 95 to 97% which is extremely better then the GT-8 and GT-10 I had. This is a huge deal to me as you pointed out the 4CM is intended for the use of your preamps.

So after digging , tweaking and learning I discovered the OD modelers to be fantastic. They are truly much better then any of the ones on the previous models. I actually am amazed on how close and true to the original sound most of them are.
Years ago I owned a Ibanez Tube Screamer and used it quite often. The model in the 100 sounds just as I remember the original and the response is crazy good.
The only effect I'm not totally sold on or happy with is the Delays. I can't seem to dial in a beautiful Delay. The GT-10 this was pretty easy , it had tap tempo and such much like my stand alone double pedal DD-20 which by far is the very best Delay pedal ever made IMO.
The Chorus is nice and the Flanger and phasers are all up to par. I really don't use a lot of effects. I really just like Delay, reverb, Chours , OD and sometimes mess around with Flanger and Phaser. All the other effects I play around with but the way I write and what covers I play don't seem to be very useful.

My opinion has greatly changed with the GT-100 once I got past the learning curve.I'm able to dial in my tones so much faster then ever before. I use my Macbook Pro most of the time connected USB as I find that even fast and a excellent tool. I really like the Boss computer software Patch editor.
The Quest for Tone.
Quote by Clay-man
Drop the boss MFX and get a POD HD.
Those boss MFX units sound like 90's technology.

I think thats a very personal opinion as tone is super personal. I honestly don't like Line 6 anything. I have owned many of their stomp boxes and I sold every single one of them after months of use and disappointment. I find Line 6 to sound for a lack of a better word "fake". They seem to sound like a modeler instead of the real thing. It's why I like Boss so much more and better then all others as they sound more organic and real if you will.
I'm a 80's guitarist and Boss is where I hang my hat as they earned that.
The Quest for Tone.