Intro floats about Dm. Other bits float about F#m. Ends on Em. There's chromatic notes all over the place because I doubt they they were thinking about scales when they wrote it.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Intro floats about Dm. Other bits float about F#m. Ends on Em. There's chromatic notes all over the place because I doubt they they were thinking about scales when they wrote it.

Yep, I agree. I don't think music theory is that relevant in music like this. The intro is very dissonant.
Oh okay cool. I just wondered because I am writing an essay on punk on how it influenced Nirvana (Nirvana has a lot of pop sensibility but sneaks in some punk aspects too...including some sense of chromaticism sometimes).
Quote by Elintasokas
Yep, I agree. I don't think music theory is that relevant in music like this. The intro is very dissonant.

A written confession.

>_>
Quote by Elintasokas

I would disagree. Just because music is dissonant doesn't mean you can't use theory to analyze it.
Quote by GirlGerms
Oh okay cool. I just wondered because I am writing an essay on punk on how it influenced Nirvana (Nirvana has a lot of pop sensibility but sneaks in some punk aspects too...including some sense of chromaticism sometimes).

Chormaticism just is a by-product of punks "I don't know what I'm doing but who cares" attitude. It wasn't a a deliberate choice, they just didn't know any different. Nirvana was basically punk anyway, just a different style of punk, and they got swept up in the punk revolution of the early 90's with all the other surf and skater bands that were gaining a reputation at that time.
Why the intro sounds so dissonant is because the bass and guitar play notes that don't really sound "good" together. I wouldn't put the intro in any key. I would say the verse is i-ii-iv-V in F#m.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Why the intro sounds so dissonant is because the bass and guitar play notes that don't really sound "good" together. I wouldn't put the intro in any key. I would say the verse is i-ii-iv-V in F#m.

Yeah, exactly. I was only talking about the intro in my previous post.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I would disagree. Just because music is dissonant doesn't mean you can't use theory to analyze it.

I like this because it shows what theory is used for; analysing music. Why you'd want to do that is up to you I guess.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Chormaticism just is a by-product of punks "I don't know what I'm doing but who cares" attitude. It wasn't a a deliberate choice, they just didn't know any different. Nirvana was basically punk anyway, just a different style of punk, and they got swept up in the punk revolution of the early 90's with all the other surf and skater bands that were gaining a reputation at that time.

I don't think it's a "I don't know what I'm doing but who cares" attitude. I think saying that they had that type of attitude towards it is a bit condescending really. I think they're attitude was more of "let's write something that sounds dissonant". I mean, they weren't thinking "ok, tritones there, some chromatic bits there, why not add in some serialism?!?" but to think that they just thought 'who cares' is a bit judgemental.

I mean I know the punk attitude was 'who cares', but I don't think that necessarily was the thought process they had whilst writing music. If you know what I'm saying?
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence