Alright I bought an AC30 C2, it's 2-3 yrs old, hardly used, all stock parts...

If I want to get the most out of this thing, what are the best mods for these amps? I've read some people swear by using JJ tubes in AC30s... I've never bought tubes in my life (except for having a tech buy for me and install) so have no idea what to order when buying tubes, what would I look for when buying a new set of tubes for an AC30?

Also, I've read some people don't use the standby switch... was this only for early 2000 CC models? Or is this still a strange thing some people swear by? It sounds like a shit idea but I'm no amp tech guru.

Cheers!
what don't you like about the amp? Don't do mods unless there is something specific you want the amp to do that it currently does not.

JJ are a decent tube, probably the best EL84 maker currently.

The standby switch is weird on them, from my understanding it is in the wrong place in the chain. and it will burn out the rectifier tube very quickly. Most people I have seen do not use it and leave it on. They only use the power switch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Most AC30 amp mods are underwhelming at best and cause major tone suck at worst. Just crank it up and wail.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't do mods unless there is something specific you want the amp to do that it currently does not.
I respectfully disagree.

I modded my amp even though it did what I wanted, and now it does even more.
Plus you can always add switches to switch between stock and mod unless the mod is highly destructive or involves lots of changes.

Plus it's hella easier to think of something that you would want your amp to do if you have a list of possible mods in front of you.

Have a look at the "mod compilation" drop down menu - http://www.ac30-guide.com/
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I got my tubes here:
https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=130&sub_category_id=131
They have several options depending on what sound you are after.
Myself, I choose the late breakup option (I think they called it the "Max Headroom" option then).

Rather than modding the amp, you should look into your choice of speakers.
Speakers can make a MAJOR difference in your sound.
Alnico Blues are the classic choice for an AC30,
I'm using an Alnico Gold (50 watt version of the Blue) and a G12K-85.
Works great for me.

Edit:
I've got the AC30CCH BTW. Bought around 2007.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 20, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
I respectfully disagree.

Plus you can always add switches to switch between stock and mod unless the mod is highly destructive or involves lots of changes.

Plus it's hella easier to think of something that you would want your amp to do if you have a list of possible mods in front of you.

Have a look at the "mod compilation" drop down menu - http://www.ac30-guide.com/

Yeah that's exactly why I was asking about mods, cos I don't know what options are out there. Thanks for the link man!
It's not much of a "mod" but some people have said that there are some dodgy screws that people always need to replace as the thread strips really easily or something?

I would totally get Alnico Blue speakers for it but they're about $400 each here in Aus... might have to make do with the Greenbacks for a while.

It seems like the standby switch is still a bit of a mystery... I might have a chat to my amp tech see what he thinks.

As for tubes... If I was going to order a set of JJ tubes, what would I need to buy in terms of model names and how many? I don't know much about tube installation, only that there's four big ones and a bunch of little ones and they glow hahah!

Cheers all
curious what you paid for yours, I recently bought a VOX AC30C2 wé Blue alnico speakers for $900
Quote by Spambot_2
I respectfully disagree.

Why get an amp modded, or talk about modding it when he has not even bought the amp or obviously played through it yet? That is just stupid.

Your putting the cart before the horse.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why get an amp modded, or talk about modding it when he has not even bought the amp or obviously played through it yet?
Quote by loop-de-luke
Alright I bought an AC30 C2, it's 2-3 yrs old, hardly used, all stock parts...
Am I missing something from the second quote box?

Also, again, options.

If you look at a mod list and you find something that says "this is gonna make the top end tamer" and one that says "this is gonna add a switch that does..." you might play the amp, decide you would like a tamer top end and perform the mod, obviously after having played it.

If the second though adds a switch, supposing that the switch gives you the ability to switch between stock and mod, you might as well mod the thing without having played it just because the thing looks interesting to you.

That's just how I see things though, and I probably am biased by liking fiddling with electrical equipment
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Damn I need to read better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jdenmo
curious what you paid for yours, I recently bought a VOX AC30C2 wé Blue alnico speakers for $900

I paid $750 for it... Basically brand new condition. $900 is great for one with blues in it, they're like $400 per speaker here (assuming you're from Aus?)... Especially if yours is in good condition too.
I saw one with blues in it go for around $850 but in another state, too hard and expensive to ship over... Plus it had a big tear in the front of the grille
I wouldn't do any permnent mods just for the sake of it. You can upgrade the tubes right out of the gate to get desired tone, and make sure you like your speakers. Speakers make a big difference as well as fresh tubes. JJ's have a nice smooth even tone to them. I use JJ's in my AC30, but the Alnico blues make a big difference.

These aren't mods though. When I think mod, I think a soldering iron is needed, and I think you're headed down the wrong road there