Hello there,

I consider myself a beginner although I have 3 years of experience. I played guitar (with lessons) for 2 years, then got bored of it and 2 years after that i started playing again. I'm now playing for about a year and I'm back (if not better) at the point where I was when taking lessons. But that's just a little background info.

I love soloing and started with the A minor pentatonic with blues extensions. I love to jam along a backing track or just play on my own. I control multiple scales now. I love the solos from for example: rainbow, led zep, acdc, black sabbath and more. Those solos can be quiet fast but when im soloing I just never go fast. I've got the speed in my hands but it just doesnt sound right. Maybe someone has some tips.

- Arjan

PS: sorry for the long text
I'd wholeheartedly recommend you try Rocksmith 2014 and Session Mode. It's fantastic. Certainly beats playing along to a backing track imo.
Quote by arv1971
I'd wholeheartedly recommend you try Rocksmith 2014 and Session Mode. It's fantastic. Certainly beats playing along to a backing track imo.

Playing along with a backing track is a lot better trust me unless you have crap amp ,
Concentrate on playing well and after you've been at it for long enough the speed will start to work its way into your playing as well. It just happens naturally. For every one guy who can play a good solo there are ten guys who can play a fast solo that basically has no musical value.
First thing, I would try to always change up the backing track you use, and try to vary the tempos, styles, etc. And when you're not just jamming to backing tracks, you can try to learn the solos from the bands you say you like. Many of those solos will be based around pentatonic scales. Angus Young and Jimmy Page love playing with that scale, and most of their solos are based on the pentatonic. And also I wouldn't focus on trying to play fast until you have everything else down pat, many players tend to sacrifice technique for speed, and get very sloppy when increasing their speed.
Thanks for the replies! I'm just saw the replies just now '. I thought I'd get a notification. But I'm quiet a bit better at solos. It's still not super speed but it's getting there. I just prefer some nice bends and notes over really fast playing. sounds nicer to me
Quote by arjan2602
Thanks for the replies! I'm just saw the replies just now '. I thought I'd get a notification. But I'm quiet a bit better at solos. It's still not super speed but it's getting there. I just prefer some nice bends and notes over really fast playing. sounds nicer to me

That's a great way to go.

Some folk can play very fast, but have a hard time when playing anything with longer duration notes. If you can build up a good sense of phrasing, good note feel and touch and choice and sound, you'll be in great shape as you build up technique.

cheers, Jerry
Quote by jerrykramskoy
That's a great way to go.

Some folk can play very fast, but have a hard time when playing anything with longer duration notes. If you can build up a good sense of phrasing, good note feel and touch and choice and sound, you'll be in great shape as you build up technique.

cheers, Jerry

Thanks, much appreciated